HTM-12 center channel placed in the room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Unread Today, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 4
HTM-12 center channel placed in the room?

I'm looking seriously at building HTM-12s for my L/C/R. To preserve the length of my soon to be built basement theater (it's going to be tight front to back), I have two placement options for my front speakers:

(1) There is an unfinished room behind the wall where I will put the screen. I can't move the wall -- it's a support wall -- but I can build shelves that protrude back into the unfinished room, place the speakers on the shelves, and make the front support wall into a baffle wall, with an AT screen a few inches in front of it. However, the builder will have to move the entire HVAC unit and some plumbing to make this work, and I'm uneasy about messing up the acoustic performance of the speakers.

(2) I can place the speakers in the room, under the screen. The screen can easily be located 3 or 4 feet off the floor -- I have an 11 foot ceiling at the front of the room -- and my builder is recommending that it should be placed that high for ease of viewing from the back row. With the screen up that high, the tweeters would be pretty close to even with the ears of those in the front row even without an acoustically transparent screen. The back row will be 18 inches higher on a riser, so the tweeters would be just under two feet below the back row viewers' ears.

With the screen at least 3 feet off the floor, would putting the speakers in the room be less desirable than using an AT screen? I've seen lots of posts advocating for the center channel to be placed behind an AT screen, but usually the argument posits that this is preferable to get the tweeters on level with your ears. Again, I think I have that issue covered. I also wonder if there is an advantage to being able to move the L/R channels after the room is built -- toe them in, slide them side to side -- which is flexibility I won't have if I pre-build shelves into the support wall.

I've asked here, rather than in my build thread, because I assume the speaker being used will impact the answers. I believe this is the subforum with the most knowledge about how these speakers will perform in either of my two options.

Thanks in advance for your help.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
The Spinal Tap Theater Build:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html

Last edited by GatorBlues; Today at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Unread Today, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 839
Just read your theater build thread, while placing the center behind the screen is ideal it may not be a deal breaker if you can't go that route.

I ended up placing my L/R on the sides of my screen and the center channel is below. While their are times when you notice that that the voices are emanating from below the screen most of the time they appear to come from inside the screen. I feel having the left and right channel up higher (centered on screen height) helps bring the soundstage up even with the screen level and I think would not be the case if all three were below the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs