Suggestions on DIY system for 7.1 Home Theater with $1,000 budget - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
  • 2 Post By HFGuy
  • 1 Post By thucker
  • 1 Post By wasser
  • 3 Post By madtapper
  • 1 Post By madtapper
  • 1 Post By Cichlid109
  • 1 Post By mikeTRON250LM
  • 4 Post By muzz
  • 1 Post By OriginalWhitey
  • 1 Post By Mpoes12
post #1 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Suggestions on DIY system for 7.1 Home Theater with $1,000 budget

I'm in the process of building my home theater and I really want to try to do some DIY speakers but I'm not sure what to get. I've been reading a lot but with technology changing I don't know if the recceomendations I'm reading are outdated or what. I want to stayunder $1,000 for all speakers and AVR. Here's what I have for speaker layout in the room:

Just looking at DIYsoundgroup I was thinking of doing 3 TritrixMTM's for the front's

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/feature...itrix-mtm.html

And the tritrix TM for the surrounds:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/feature...9/tritrix.html

Are these a good option or should I be looking at something else? I know I'm limited by my budget but I can build the full boxes and crossover's. I just don't know what components would work best.

For receivers, I don't have anything purchased. I was thinking the Sony:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Channel-...words=sony+7.1

or Denon:

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-S72...ords=denon+7.1

I have a sub from my Yamaha home theater in a box that I could use until I'd want to upgrade. Any suggestions on speakers, AVR is appreciated cause I'm really struggling to find something that would work.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 177
How about this guy ?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui.../fusion-6.html

Your room isn't that small, SEOS is worth considering.
post #3 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
How about this guy ?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui.../fusion-6.html

Your room isn't that small, SEOS is worth considering.
My center channel will be off axis because it is on the floor. Doesn't that mess with waveguide speakers? I have very limited experience with speakers so excuse my ignorance. What benefits would SEOS have?

post #4 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are you apposed to buying used equipment? If not, I'd suggest buying a used mid range to high end receiver and freeing up the budget for speakers. $1k for seven speakers and receiver really limits you to around $100 per speaker kit.

I recently built a pair of Tritrix MLTL speakers for a relative. They're great speaker for the money and sounds good with music. I found that they didn't quite have the dynamics for movies.

The Fusion-6 is a great budget suggestion. I remember that there was a MTM version available at one point. You might ask Erich and see if it's available. Then you'd have all matching LCR.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.
post #5 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalWhitey View Post
I have a sub from my Yamaha home theater in a box that I could use until I'd want to upgrade.
What speakers do you have currently? If you can make do with current speaker and avr, then I'd look at building a subwoofer first (with a plan for adding even more after speaker build).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fusion-15: Asian Night Sentinels
post #6 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post
Are you apposed to buying used equipment? If not, I'd suggest buying a used mid range to high end receiver and freeing up the budget for speakers. $1k for seven speakers and receiver really limits you to around $100 per speaker kit.

I recently built a pair of Tritrix MLTL speakers for a relative. They're great speaker for the money and sounds good with music. I found that they didn't quite have the dynamics for movies.

The Fusion-6 is a great budget suggestion. I remember that there was a MTM version available at one point. You might ask Erich and see if it's available. Then you'd have all matching LCR.

I'd prefer new, I just don't trust used electronics unless I can check them out personally first. I could dump the 7.1 and go 5.1 for now and just run the wires for future updates to free up money for better speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
What speakers do you have currently? If you can make do with current speaker and avr, then I'd look at building a subwoofer first (with a plan for adding even more after speaker build).
Right now I don't have anything for the home theater. I do have a Yamaha home theater system in my living room but I don't feel like ripping all that down for temporary sound...although I did consider it. I am going to take the sub from the system now cause all it does it wake my daughter up which is why I'm building a dedicated theater room. Nothing is set in stone so if building a sub would be worth the expense I'd consider it
post #7 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Agree with going 5.1 to start and better speakers. You can even take that idea further if you wish. For instance, just build your LRC and no surrounds, or LR with no center channel and keep the surrounds.

Whatever you choose, you're wise to go for quality over quantity here. Best of luck.
post #8 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtapper View Post
Agree with going 5.1 to start and better speakers. You can even take that idea further if you wish. For instance, just build your LRC and no surrounds, or LR with no center channel and keep the surrounds.

Whatever you choose, you're wise to go for quality over quantity here. Best of luck.
Isn't the center channel where the majority of the vocals in movies come from? If I'd just do LR and no center channel with surrounds, how would I set that up? The main goal for sound is to avoid the whisper and explosions effect where you can't hear what anyone is saying then get your ears blown out.
post #9 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yeah, you definitely want a center channel, I was only suggesting you "could" get by without one for a while if the budget mandates it.

FWIW, I really like the highly efficient offerings from DIYSG and don't think you can go wrong there. Their 1099 solved my problem of unclear dialogue.
post #10 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I can understand the reasoning behind buying new however not all of us can do that. If you are concerned about buying used what about buy refurbished? Check out
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html
they have really good prices plus they come with a warranty so that should ease your worries some. As far as speakers go check out the Volt6lx's from DIYSG. They are easy to build and sound great!! I was using 3 of them as my mains for a little while until I could afford something better and now I use them as surrounds.
As someone else suggested a sub will make the biggest impact with the system. If it were up to me I would get a rcvr with a sub out either 5.1 or 7.1 or better for 200 or less with a warranty not bad. Look at getting a sub check out this thread:
The V.B.S.S. DIY subwoofer design thread
You should be well on your way with your budget as time goes on you will be able to add as the funds allow.
Just trying to help.

Yamaha RX-A2010 LCR BIC DV84's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 surround w/ EPX2800, Polk Audio Rt-35 pwred by AVR,
Infinity 1262's 2 pair w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #11 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 01:52 PM
IDW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For 5.1 under a G - lcr fusion 10s and volt 6s or 8s (or 10s!) for surrounds.
post #12 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I'd prefer new, I just don't trust used electronics unless I can check them out personally first. I could dump the 7.1 and go 5.1 for now and just run the wires for future updates to free up money for better speakers.
Nothing is set in stone so if building a sub would be worth the expense I'd consider it
So you sound a lot like me when I first started getting interested in finally having a decent home theater setup. I had a $1k budget and I stayed under it and I thoroughly enjoyed my setup. I bought a used 5.1 and a receiver from A4L. My subwoofer was garbage but it was free, so I knew it was the first thing I wanted to upgrade when I had a bit more disposable income set aside.

Anyway my point is I want to make sure you understand WHY we are telling you to buy used or take smaller steps into your completed setup. $1k isnt enough to get a SOLID system NEW. Yeah you can buy A system but you are making tradeoffs that just arent worth it. If you want to stay under $1k then just buy a reciever and the Monoprice Premium 5.1 and be done with it. I have a friend who has no interest in having a better setup and LOVES that thing. He knows its not the best but he doesnt have the interest to spend more or listen at a higher volume where his speakers struggle. He also doesn't care for the low frequency that a subwoofer provides. I constantly tell him he is broken , but I wanted to bring this up because most of us will try to convince you that it IS worth spending more, me included.

Now, with all of that being said, and
With all of that out there, I would strongly suggest buying a GOOD 2.1 or 3.0 or 3.1 with receiver, whichever you can afford. As time goes on, adding the remaining speakers. A GOOD 2.1 will sound substantially better than a cheap 7.1 or 11.1 or whatever... The point is you will not regret buying better speakers and waiting to have a better system, but you might regret buying cheaper then upgrading soon when you realize you want a better setup quickly thereafter.

Now with that being said I also have a strong aversion to USED electronics... It just feels like you are buying junk and it had already been beat up etc... What I will tell you is that good components are different. You are NOT buying some junk laptop which has planned obsolescence, you are buying quality speakers and a receiver. You can get BOTH with warranties, even used. I saved a LOT of money, and effectively doubled my speaker budget by buying used from a member here and I couldn't be happier with my decision (or the speakers) AND I have warranties on everything!

I have purchased from Accessories4Less a few times, as have all my friends (and PLENTY of forum memebers) so I would STRONGLY suggest buying a receiver from there. They already include a 1 year warranty, and most credit cards offer a second year warranty for free, so check into that to help put your mind at ease. They sell refurbished receivers and I have probably used mine for 4-8hrs a day on average for the last 3 years or so, with no issues. My buddy bought a receiver from them and had something go out, had it warrantied for free and had his receiver back in a week or so.

Also, I think by you skipping a GOOD subwoofer you are doing a HUGE disservice to yourself as I think the subwoofer is THE most important part of the home theater experience.

Long story short:
Are you okay buying 3 speakers and a receiver now, then in a few months buying a subwoofer (or pair, as two is better!) THEN after buying 2/4 more surrounds? You can piece it together over time to help with the fiscal pain

If it were me and I had $1k to spend I would buy a Denon 1300 receiver from A4L as it is the best bang for the buck in my opinion and then whatever 3.0 I could afford from DIYsoundGroup OR wait and buy used on the forums classifieds. Next, I would build a pair of VBSS subwoofers per the suggestion above (which I am actually doing this week now that I have a better table saw fence). THEN when funds allow I would buy or build the 2 or 4 remaining surrounds. The surrounds are much less critical than the 3.1 (the front three speakers and the subwoofer, in case you are unaware of that terminology).
madtapper likes this.
post #13 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Also, this thread might be helpful for your research:
Help Picking DIYSG Speakers for 7.4 system.
post #14 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the responses. I'm not looking for a crazy loud system. All I'm looking for is vocal clarity and an all around good sound. I also hate selling things so if I would buy to upgrade in the future, I'd want to re-purpose the speakers I already bought as surrounds. Actually, that X1300W refurbished is temping. I just don't like buying from unknown people on the internet that I could get burnt, but reputable companies I'll use. I probably am skipping the most important part which is the sub.

This is crazy, I thought $1,000 would get a good system especially going the DIY route for the speakers. Maybe I should consider the 3.1 and put the money in the sub instead.
post #15 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
My center channel will be off axis because it is on the floor. Doesn't that mess with waveguide speakers? I have very limited experience with speakers so excuse my ignorance. What benefits would SEOS have?
Even more reason to go SEOS, just make sure to tilt the center channel up towards you.
post #16 of 25 Unread Yesterday, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Fusion 10 x2, PA460 Sub with inuke, AVR from A4L would probably blow your mind.

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #17 of 25 Unread Today, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, how's this setup for a 5.1:

Denon x1300w avr $319
Fusion 6 center. $160
Fusion 6 surrounds x4 : $488
PA460 sub with inuke $379

Total: $1346

For an extra $100 is it worth it up upgrade the center channel to a fusion 8?
post #18 of 25 Unread Today, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Denon x1300w avr $319
Fusion 6 center. $160

You will like the Denon receiver it is my default brand to recommend over the years. I can't tell you how many Denons I have put in for folks.
Since the budget is tight stick with the Fusion 6's.

If you wanted you stick stick with a regular fusion 6 for the center channel. and save a little money. The dual woofer center channel is something the industry came up with to help sell speakers. Look at any commercial set up and you will find 3 identical speakers for the LCR spots. Most consumers have come to expect a side lying speaker under the RV since that is what they are used to seeing at the store. If you can accomodate an upright center then go with a regular fusion 6 speaker.

The VBSS sub is going to open up your eyes, enjoy the build!
post #19 of 25 Unread Today, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like the sub will be worth the additional money, in getting excited now things are starting to come together. Unfortunately I cannot stand the center channel up. I have to mount it horizontally.
wasser likes this.
post #20 of 25 Unread Today, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Denon x1300w avr $319
Fusion 6 center. $160

IMO, for your stated goal, the Fusion 6 sound like a great fit. For good or bad, there is a tendency to overbuild on these forums. Keeping things reasonable and within budget is a challenge.

Quote:
Sounds like the sub will be worth the additional money, in getting excited now things are starting to come together. Unfortunately I cannot stand the center channel up. I have to mount it horizontally.
Upgrading the sub will probably make the single biggest change in your movie watching experience.

Curious, how much space do you have for the center channel?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fusion-15: Asian Night Sentinels
post #21 of 25 Unread Today, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
IMO, for your stated goal, the Fusion 6 sound like a great fit. For good or bad, there is a tendency to overbuild on these forums. Keeping things reasonable and within budget is a challenge.

Upgrading the sub will probably make the single biggest change in your movie watching experience.

Curious, how much space do you have for the center channel?
Hey now, over build, them there are fighten' words. We just build in some headroom.
wasser likes this.
post #22 of 25 Unread Today, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

For center channel space, no limit on size and depth but about 12" for height
post #23 of 25 Unread Today, 08:12 AM

There is a lot of misunderstanding around waveguides floating around, especially from the uninformed direct radiator camp. That is, there is this view that waveguides have narrower coverage and thus must be placed carefully or they will sound worse. In fact, direct radiators typically have a response that is so uneven as you move off-axis that they are the ones that need to be placed carefully to avoid response problems. The wonderful thing about waveguides is that they can provide a constant response that falls at a smooth and predictable rate.

I have a feeling the HTM-6 could be a good option, but without knowing the final price, its hard to say if it would fit your budget.

One thing to consider is that a speaker should not be placed on its side without consideration for its dispersion. This isn't unique to waveguides, but waveguides have well understood polar responses that make it visually obvious why not to do that. In other words, the shave of an elliptical waveguide (as in all of the SEOS waveguides) has a different dispersion horizontally vs vertically. It is far more narrow vertically, so if you lay it on its side, then it becomes narrow horizontally, which you don't want. Looking at the Fusion series, the Vibe 6 is 8" for the center model and 13" for the standard model. It may be worth considering if that 5" difference is significant as using 3 identical speakers is always best. MTM speakers have a more restricted vertical dispersion that when turned on its side create a more restricted horizontal response, which isn't something you necessarily want.

As others have mentioned, your budget is low enough that I would plan an upgrade path and put as much of your budget toward speakers. The bottom of the line lowest end receiver with the best speakers you can afford will provide much better performance than reversing that ratio. Speakers and room are the single biggest factor in sound quality, with today's electronics, receiver differences is a far distance 3rd.

The only reason I would suggest against going without a center is that you could find yourself in the position of not having a center speaker to purchase. Just because its sold by DIYSG or even in the same family doesn't mean its truely timbre matched. While you want a timbre match across all of the speakers, there is no denying that the timbre match of the front three speakers is the most important. As such I would be afraid to purchase just two speakers, such as the Vibe's only to find that when budget allows, no such vibe exists anymore.

I'd also wait and see if the HTM6 falls in your budget. I think its a better speaker.

-Matt
post #24 of 25 Unread Today, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpoes12 View Post
There is a lot of misunderstanding around waveguides floating around, especially from the uninformed direct radiator camp. That is, there is this view that waveguides have narrower coverage and thus must be placed carefully or they will sound worse. In fact, direct radiators typically have a response that is so uneven as you move off-axis that they are the ones that need to be placed carefully to avoid response problems. The wonderful thing about waveguides is that they can provide a constant response that falls at a smooth and predictable rate.

I have a feeling the HTM-6 could be a good option, but without knowing the final price, its hard to say if it would fit your budget.

One thing to consider is that a speaker should not be placed on its side without consideration for its dispersion. This isn't unique to waveguides, but waveguides have well understood polar responses that make it visually obvious why not to do that. In other words, the shave of an elliptical waveguide (as in all of the SEOS waveguides) has a different dispersion horizontally vs vertically. It is far more narrow vertically, so if you lay it on its side, then it becomes narrow horizontally, which you don't want. Looking at the Fusion series, the Vibe 6 is 8" for the center model and 13" for the standard model. It may be worth considering if that 5" difference is significant as using 3 identical speakers is always best. MTM speakers have a more restricted vertical dispersion that when turned on its side create a more restricted horizontal response, which isn't something you necessarily want.

As others have mentioned, your budget is low enough that I would plan an upgrade path and put as much of your budget toward speakers. The bottom of the line lowest end receiver with the best speakers you can afford will provide much better performance than reversing that ratio. Speakers and room are the single biggest factor in sound quality, with today's electronics, receiver differences is a far distance 3rd.

The only reason I would suggest against going without a center is that you could find yourself in the position of not having a center speaker to purchase. Just because its sold by DIYSG or even in the same family doesn't mean its truely timbre matched. While you want a timbre match across all of the speakers, there is no denying that the timbre match of the front three speakers is the most important. As such I would be afraid to purchase just two speakers, such as the Vibe's only to find that when budget allows, no such vibe exists anymore.

I'd also wait and see if the HTM6 falls in your budget. I think its a better speaker.

-Matt

I wouldn't put a speaker on it's side which is why I think the fusion center works out since that is what it's designed for. Any updated information on when pricing will be announced for the HTM6's? I see it was supposed to be the 15th.
post #25 of 25 Unread Today, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't put a speaker on it's side which is why I think the fusion center works out since that is what it's designed for. Any updated information on when pricing will be announced for the HTM6's? I see it was supposed to be the 15th.

My point was that given a choice between the fusion center or three matched speakers oriented correctly, I'd choose the three matched speakers. MTM's have compromises in this arrangement and can never be as perfectly timber matched as three identical speakers.y suggestion was if the 5" difference is acceptable, I'd go with three identical speakers upright.

I have no inside information on the Htm-6. I'm waiting to see myself as I think they will make good surrounds in the rear. I have a door in the way and need low profile. I'm hoping it's profile is maybe under 6".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs