• 1 Post By Twedter
  • 1 Post By derrickdj1

post #1 of 21 Old 04-19-2017, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Um18 on a martycube?

After almost a year or researching and reading. Im finally set for diy route. Now i have a concrete room 11x11x9 feet its fairly small room, i have curently running a pb2000 and not really satisfied with its bass so i decided if i do a diy i might gain a better result. i tried making the mini marty in cardboard to test fit it in that room and holy **** that thing is huge and my wife wasnt really on approval with that. She says it looks ugly on that small room. I read from alot of posf here that um18 is best on large ported cabs now how is it on a marty cube cab. Also is the marty cube comprable to svs pb 2000 but not that the pb13 ultra? The room will be movie room and i wanna feel the best bass as possible. I already have inuke6kdsp and im set with dual 18s can anyone help me out?

Sent from my GT-I9060C using Tapatalk

Benq w1070
Samsung UN65HU7150
Panasonic DMP-BD 75
Denon X2000
Infinity Primus 163 fronts, PC351 center, 163 surrounds
SVS PB2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Empathy for the small room,, my mancave is about 10 x 10

tough for bass, yours is even square and even more problematic . ..

before befuddling your brain too much,,

you, if you haven't already, get REW, a suitable mike and find your what you are really missing. establish a base , for bass.. ha ha

if you can ,move the sub around, WAF and space permitting .

SOME MATH:

a marty cube is 2 x 2 x 2 iirc, a footprint of 4 ft^2.

my THTLP, 24: x 18: footprint is 3 ft^2.

mine stands on end, pointed to the ceiling for loading

or I, could build a stand for downward firing.

given a chance, my sub can come close to 20-ish but from 25 and up to xo of 80 . . tons of output, clear, low distortion, low power needs.

you can get many system testing sweeps, etc. at audiocheck.net.. send them a token $5 thru paypal or whatever, totally worth it for HT / Music system testing diagnosis.

HTH
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #3 of 21 Old 04-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 135
There are several open/active threads in the last week about using the UM18 in a smaller (<10cu ft) ported box.

Here's one:
Dayton Audio UM-18

Specifically this response with real world feedback, and a few others too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
I have a Marty cube with the UM 18. I have been more than impressed with it's performance. I judging that against my full Martys and Mini's with the same driver.
Most people will have the UM18 in larger cabs, so you probably won't find too many different opinions or reviews of that setup. You might send a Private Message directly to derrick to ask him about his experience.

TBH, if I only had room for a smaller cab, I'd go with the Dayton Audio RSS460-HO instead of the UM18.
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & Def Tech PF15TL+

post #4 of 21 Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 662
I also, will say the UM 18 works best in a larger box if you are only looking at extension and output. I put the UM 18 in the Marty cube because I had the driver and was not looking to buy another driver when I already have one. Now I just need a project to make use of my extra I Nuke DSP amp, lol.

With that said, I did not model the driver for the box, or worry about extension since I have 7 other large subs in the HT. My concern was more output and replacing the lone sealed sub in the system. It does have tremendous output over the sealed UM 18 sealed 4 cu ft. box Did it make much difference in integration, blending and having an all matched system of vented subs, NO. It was no harder or easier to integrate.

Many will not agree but, I like having subs of different sizes in the system. This adds some versatility for placement. They blend well and have all the shock and awe that I want.

The Marty cube makes for a nice coffee tabel sub at the end of a long sectional couch. It makes for more TR, PR and spl.

I use the Marty Cube and one LLT for 2 ch. Chest slam, TR and spl is there using only the two subs. The LLT is 28 ft. away from the MLP. Sure, I get more with the rest of the subs but, these two will rival most ID offering without going mega bucks.
Brazle likes this.

Last edited by derrickdj1; 04-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I will know soon... I am putting two UM18's In diysg ported 18 boxes... I saw a post saying they modeled close to the same as the RO driver in the same box so I'm gonna give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brazle likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity06 View Post
I will know soon... I am putting two UM18's In diysg ported 18 boxes... I saw a post saying they modeled close to the same as the RO driver in the same box so I'm gonna give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll be interested in how that turns out for you. I've been on the fence between sealed vs small ported due to current space issues. Update when you get them running please.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twedter View Post
I'll be interested in how that turns out for you. I've been on the fence between sealed vs small ported due to current space issues. Update when you get them running please.
I have 2 dayton Ho 18's, each in a 4 CF sealed cabs and i love them...being ran off an Inuke 3000 DSP. My room is about 11 X 14.
Brazle likes this.

Receiver : Denon x2300
Front Stage : 3 DIYSG Fusion 10's
Surround Speakers :2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers : Dual Dayton HO 18's in sealed cabs w/Inuke 3000 DSP
post #8 of 21 Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 318
You have a nice sub...problem is, it is one sub.............no matter if you build the back to the future super sub, it will still only be one sub that can only be in one place at a time....bad for subs.

I will stray from the normal recomendations here......while the um-18 is a great thing, unless you can do at the minimal 2, preferably 4 and have multiple options for placement....

I am in a 12x12 room and opted to go with 4, 12 inchers to help distrubute the bass and get better overall sound.

A single super sub in one location will never power thru the room modes....the bigger and more power you do, the bigger and more powerful the room modes get. It is a no win situation.

I have been from a single small sub, to multiple small subs, to a bigger 10 inch single sub to a single 12 incher to 4, 12 inchers...........Multiples are they way to go in a room that size.

I would back down from the monster sub approach and go with 3 smaller subs,preferably 4.

For the most part,sub boxes are about cubic feet, not shape. If you want to build boxes, then they can can be approx any shape you want........come out the minimal distance from the wall and make that room up in width or height and minimize the protrusion into the room.

I am running 1 front center, one on each side wall center and one in the rear center directly firing into the seating.

I get as much bass as I want......good chest slam and the one behind the seating vibrates the seating and gives that floating on water sensation......the one directly firing into the seating is by far the best one in the room and one I would never do without now.

These are cheap low power subs......bic f-12`s and the one behind the seating is a pl-200, all 12 inch woofers. The f-12`s are 150 watt rms and the pl-200 is 250 watts rms...........so nothing crazy or high power.

I run the gains at approx 2.5 out of a possible 10, so they have more to give if needed.

I do not think one super woofer would do the same as the 4 smaller ones do in this situation/room size.
Brazle likes this.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #9 of 21 Old 04-21-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
I have 2 dayton Ho 18's, each in a 4 CF sealed cabs and i love them...being ran off an Inuke 3000 DSP. My room is about 11 X 14.
Ya I've been leaning this direction. Figure I can always build the martys and move the drivers when we move and I have a bigger room.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-22-2017, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The nice thing with the UM 18 is that it is very versitle. It will kick a$$ in a sealed or vented box. I have had all and the UM 18 is a good go to driver. I loved my 4 cu ft. sealed and feel the same way about the UM 18 in a Marty Cube. It is not so much a problem in what to build, just getting off the fence and started.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-22-2017, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The nice thing with the UM 18 is that it is very versitle. It will kick a$$ in a sealed or vented box. I have had all and the UM 18 is a good go to driver. I loved my 4 cu ft. sealed and feel the same way about the UM 18 in a Marty Cube. It is not so much a problem in what to build, just getting off the fence and started.

Wait so the sealed box for um18 has about the same output as the martycube. So that means it will only shine on mini marty and full marty, not like the other 18 inch driver that can deliver into martycube

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Benq w1070
Samsung UN65HU7150
Panasonic DMP-BD 75
Denon X2000
SVS PB2000
post #12 of 21 Old 04-22-2017, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a really small space 11x11x9 and the space was too crowded when i tried to place the cardboard model of minimarty inside.

Benq w1070
Samsung UN65HU7150
Panasonic DMP-BD 75
Denon X2000
SVS PB2000
post #13 of 21 Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGATURON View Post
I have a really small space 11x11x9 and the space was too crowded when i tried to place the cardboard model of minimarty inside.

A Marty Cube may be more to your liking. All these Marty subs are large compared to what you see in the store and some ID offerings. In time, they don't seem so big, lol.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-22-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As stated before, keep in mind it does not have to be a block cube.......that's just for frugal use of material.

It can be very shallow/skinny and tall...........it can be shallow and super wide and short.

For the most part it just has to be X cubic foot.

The only fixed size is the 18 inch width and the 9 inch depth constraint of the woofer....

It could for example only stick out from the wall less than 12 inches and the rest of the volume be in other directions.............the smallest you could make it in 2 directions for example is approx. right under 12 inches and approx. 20 inches.........sending the other measurement into whatever direction suits your needs.

It does not have to be a borg cube.........that's just for a frugal cut list to make the best use of material......

It can even be a 24 inch circle, X long...........

Although it would technically not be a marty cube anymore, results should be very close to the same or even better if you have the room to make it 7 or 8 foot tall.......

It can even be a 24 inch tube that lays on the floor across the back of the room...........a triangle in the corner etc etc etc etc.

post #15 of 21 Old 04-23-2017, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Smaller drivers in small sealed boxes. With inuke and dsp you can just feed them lots of boost to counter the rolloff in the low frequencies. Agree three or four subs to even the bass out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #16 of 21 Old 05-31-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
As stated before, keep in mind it does not have to be a block cube.......that's just for frugal use of material.

It can be very shallow/skinny and tall...........it can be shallow and super wide and short.

For the most part it just has to be X cubic foot.

The only fixed size is the 18 inch width and the 9 inch depth constraint of the woofer....

It could for example only stick out from the wall less than 12 inches and the rest of the volume be in other directions.............the smallest you could make it in 2 directions for example is approx. right under 12 inches and approx. 20 inches.........sending the other measurement into whatever direction suits your needs.

It does not have to be a borg cube.........that's just for a frugal cut list to make the best use of material......

It can even be a 24 inch circle, X long...........

Although it would technically not be a marty cube anymore, results should be very close to the same or even better if you have the room to make it 7 or 8 foot tall.......

It can even be a 24 inch tube that lays on the floor across the back of the room...........a triangle in the corner etc etc etc etc.
I see in 11x11x9 sealed concrete room will the minimarty ultimax 18 with inuke 6kdsp be too much for that room that i will have to turn it down when doing audesey calibration on my x1300? That is why im going back and forth whether i should build 2 martycube ht18 or 2 minimarty with ultimax(or cyclops since the room is small) and use it as a speaker stand and entertainment center that way i wont need to buy entertainment center and speaker stand.

Benq w1070
Samsung UN65HU7150
Panasonic DMP-BD 75
Denon X2000
SVS PB2000
post #17 of 21 Old 05-31-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
What about the Cyclops ? They are the same size as the Mini-Marty but a more usable shape. The UM works just fine in them.

Cyclʘps 18

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #18 of 21 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Just throwing in my 2c based on your first post. I had a PB2000 and then built 2 Martycubes and used the Dayton RSS460. The Ultimax is great in big boxes and has great xmax & extension, however the RSS has almost the same amount of 'usable' extension (about 20mm actual), has a lower FS, and from my modeling with it's lighter MMS, was a little harder hitting in the 'upper sub-bass' region 80-100 Hz for listening to music. It seemed to work better than the UM in a smaller ported box like the MC. I was using some small mains and center channels at the time and so that end was pretty important to me then.

My suggestion would be to consider the RSS if you are pushed for space.

Last edited by AudyoVidyo; Yesterday at 04:27 PM.
post #19 of 21 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
What about the Cyclops ? They are the same size as the Mini-Marty but a more usable shape. The UM works just fine in them.

Cyclʘps 18
Im considering that also because they are narrower than minimarty and i can also make it as a stand for my bookshelf and butt them together so i can place my avr and amps on top of it. They have the same response as mini marty am i right?

Benq w1070
Samsung UN65HU7150
Panasonic DMP-BD 75
Denon X2000
SVS PB2000
post #20 of 21 Old Today, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Im considering that also because they are narrower than minimarty and i can also make it as a stand for my bookshelf and butt them together so i can place my avr and amps on top of it. They have the same response as mini marty am i right?

Correct. Same performance as mini Marty, Just a different shape.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #21 of 21 Old Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

...and just to make the point again, not sure if it came thru on the last post, as long as keep the same cubit foot or more of the enclosure.......shape is not critical for the most part.

The driver is approx 18 inches and approx 9 inches deep.....you can make the box any shape you like and the bigger the better up to a certain point.

In a small room, I have a 12x12x8, you want to use a location that is dead wasted space, which can be ,depending on the room....back corners,behing the seating, a long the bottom front of screen wall, corners, upper rear corners, upper front corners etc.

Without a room layout or pictures or knowing your overall goals or finish level of the room, I do not want to give more options that might not be of use.

The more info you give, the better and more detailed responses you will get....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs