Fascination with deep and powerful bass is a rabbit hole with no end. For those who willingly take the plunge, the tools of the trade tend to evolve. Enter the Stereo Integrity SHS-24 24" ($2499) neodymium-magnet subwoofer driver.

The world of DIY subs is where you'll find designs that plumb the depths of deep bass reproduction at output levels brand-name subwoofers can only dream of hitting. Stereo Integrity of Claremont, NC exists to feed the needs of these bassaholics, those who have taken a dive off the deep end and crave infrasonic bliss. This is a true beast, a new driver that is just the ticket for the well-heeled subwoofer addict.

Yes, $2,499 is a genuinely outrageous price to pay for a single subwoofer driver. However, this is no ordinary driver. It's a monster, with 5000 watts of power handling and huge excursion. Plus, its motor is so powerful that this giant sub driver can operate with only a 3 ft.³ sealed enclosure—that's no typo, it's just insane.

When I first saw a the thread on AVS forum about this new sub—which I'm linking to for the comments on this article , so as not to dilute the discussion—I decided to call Nick at Stereo Integrity and ask for the scoop on this brand-new driver. He said that the motor is so powerful, not only can you use it with a tiny enclosure, you can also use it in ported and passive-radiator designs that would not work with past 24" offerings. Namely, with smaller enclosures.

Nick sent me an email with some info and suggested models, here's his comment in full:

"As mentioned on the phone, the SHS-24 is a very high motor force, high moving mass, high displacement, subwoofer solution.

"(BL^2/Re) is 427.9 on this driver. By contrast the LMSU-18 has a motor force of 189.7. Our newest HST-18 mkII has a motor force factor of 196.1. You can see from those examples that the motor on the SHS-24 is very strong.

"A few quick models for the AVS Forum crowd are: For a 0.707 Qtc alignment the SHS-24 only needs 3.56 ft^3. You would need to invert the driver to fit it in an enclosure of that small volume as the SHS-24 is 16.5" deep so you would need at least a 22.5" x 22.5" x 16.5" ID box to physically mount the driver, which is a 4.8 ft^3 box.

"Vented alignment is 9 ft^3 tuned to 27 Hz.

"Other notable features are it's 1.5 lb voice coil. Yes those units are correct - the 4" diameter by 4" tall winding with coil is a copper coil. The 4x4 copper voice coil weighs 694 grams. The eight magnets in the motor are neodymium arranged in a radial pattern but axially charged. Each neo magnet measures 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.75". And lastly there is a neo pole cap as well for as much motor force as possible."

Now, if you're not already wise in the ways of DIY subwooferdom, you probably just read that and thought "a few quick models for the AVS Forum crowd are whaaaaaat?" Fear not. While at first it seems intimidating, building your own subwoofer is a fun and rewarding project that can be accomplished with the help of knowledgeable members in the forum. However, I wouldn't make this driver your first project!

$2500 is crazy money for any driver, but one of the interesting things about subwoofers is that a machine such as this can do the job of many smaller drivers. Ultimately, the dollars per dB equation for a beast like this is not as bad as the price tag can make it appear.

The first time I heard Stereo Integrity subwoofers, it was in Austin Haylock (@popalock)'s basement. It consisted of sixteen 18" SI drivers, and listening to that system changed my views of what's possible when it comes to bass. Truly, I had no idea you could take things that far. That system spawned the Home Theater of the Month series and remains one of the most intense bass experiences I've had. Now, with its crazy-powerful SHS-24, Stereo Integrity has a next-level transducer. Given its capabilities, I'd be keen to see any project that  incorporates one so if you pull the trigger, don't be shy... let me know.

Fun stuff, this world of DIY subwoofers. To join the community discussion regarding this driver, click here ! It's surely one of the best-kept secrets of the Hi-Fi hobby.