AVS Forum banner

Coaxials vs full range speaker

969 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rhodesj 
#1 ·
If one were to use a Coaxial, such as the Volt series or a Radian or a B&C, what would you lose versus something like the 893/1099/F15?

I'm toying with the idea of utilizing them for LCR as my watching/listening area isn't that huge. I don't have much room and my current towers (Klipsch RP280's) are fairly massive. I'm trying to find room for another UM18 without transforming my entertainment center into one.

or is there plans for a passive crossover to use a Coaxial with a MBM, like the Magnum 12?

#2 ·
Coaxials don't control vertical dispersion as tightly as the waveguides. You'll get more reflections off the roof and floor. Plus the coaxials waveguide (the cone) is moving which may cause some trouble, but not likely worth worrying about. None of them are really full range speakers unless you modify the cab design for a lower tune.

#3 ·
Interesting, the ones I posted has sweeps showing pretty good response down to the 50's, which is pretty good. I haven't bothered to model one yet to see what kind of cab that requires but I'm interested in the roof and floor reflections. I understand what this does with bass, but what does this do for the higher level stuff that the horn puts out? is it really distracting or does it just kill the imaging?

I ask because I'm very tempted to either grab the Volt 10's or the Radian's and give them a shot at LCR until I get a more full range set. These will be crossed with a MBM and Sub anyways so that full range stuff isn't very demanding.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.