Fusion 15... reverse phase in avr - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By dtsdig
  • 1 Post By rhodesj
  • 1 Post By brian6751
  • 1 Post By infinity06

post #1 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Fusion 15... reverse phase in avr

For anyone who has built Fusion F15's ... have you had issues with your avr claiming you are in reverse phase? I have a pioneer VSX 32 and when I run MCACC it says reverse phase during the auto calibration. When I switch positive and negative cables then it shows as normal. I have double and triple checked and I cannot find the issue.

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 993
My new Marantz told me that the phase was wrong on my 1099 center when I ran Audyssey. It also had a disclaimer though that said this may be a false call by the receiver with some speakers. I would swap your speakers around, or just the wires, and see if the warning follows the speaker or just the location.
infinity06 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 511
The only times I've had my AVRs tell me I've got a phase error, I've actually had something hooked up wrong. Doublecheck your woofer and tweeter connections to the crossover board, you could possibly have one of the two backwards. And board to binding posts as well.
infinity06 likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 111
@infinity06 have you used the same AVR with other speakers? Or is this your first time using it?

On a side note my Marantz shows reverse phase when I use XLR to my amp but doesn't show it when I use RCA to my amplifier. I thought the XLR were wired wrong but I checked and they were correct then after a google search I saw others had the same issue with using XLR on Marantz AVRs. Something about some Marantz models use a European XLR standard which is reverse of American or old standard vs new. The link below covers it somewhat.

http://www.soundfirst.com/xlr.html

HTPC, Sony 40es, Marantz 7702mkii, Sunfire Cinema Grand 225w x 5, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #5 of 12 Old Today, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
@infinity06 have you used the same AVR with other speakers? Or is this your first time using it?

On a side note my Marantz shows reverse phase when I use XLR to my amp but doesn't show it when I use RCA to my amplifier. I thought the XLR were wired wrong but I checked and they were correct then after a google search I saw others had the same issue with using XLR on Marantz AVRs. Something about some Marantz models use a European XLR standard which is reverse of American or old standard vs new. The link below covers it somewhat.

http://www.soundfirst.com/xlr.html

Thanks for the input...I've used this AVR for years with B&W, Deftech and HSU speakers and never had the issue. I have pulled the drivers and verified connections so when everyone wakes up I am going to run MCACC again.

Second thought I have seen errors on front speakers but that was going through an emotive XPA-3 gen 2 .... only RCA though... I don't use XLR unless it's for subs. I mean....I get errors in MCACC if I calibrate using the amp...I typically calibrate and THEN hookup the emotiva... sorry if that doesn't make sense...still waking up

post #6 of 12 Old Today, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity06 View Post
Thanks for the input...I've used this AVR for years with B&W, Deftech and HSU speakers and never had the issue. I have pulled the drivers and verified connections so when everyone wakes up I am going to run MCACC again.

Second thought I have seen errors on front speakers but that was going through an emotive XPA-3 gen 2 .... only RCA though... I don't use XLR unless it's for subs. I mean....I get errors in MCACC if I calibrate using the amp...I typically calibrate and THEN hookup the emotive... sorry if that doesn't make sense...still waking up

This makes it sound like reflections might be causing a false reading? The amplifier should not be doing anything with the phase. Have you tried the F15's with the amp? Also, I see a USB mic in the pic. Can you take a close mic reading of the F15's? That will tell you for sure.
infinity06 likes this.

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #7 of 12 Old Today, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
This makes it sound like reflections might be causing a false reading? The amplifier should not be doing anything with the phase. Have you tried the F15's with the amp? Also, I see a USB mic in the pic. Can you take a close mic reading of the F15's? That will tell you for sure.

I have to do some reading and learn how to use REW but eventually I will. I didt realize reflections could cause that error. That is more than likely what it is because the room is really small. (13x14)

post #8 of 12 Old Today, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely the room... connected the F15's to the emotiva XPA-2 and got the same error... added my HSU center channel and it claims that it is reverse phase as well and I know for a fact it is not

brian6751 likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 654
MCACC can show the reverse phase message. Most of the time it will occur when using dipole speakers. Just play some type of tone of your choice in stereo. If the woofers are moving in sync, everything is OK and ignore the message and continue with calibration. This type of error message is of no consequence since even a speaker wired in reverse phase won't damage it or the amp.
post #10 of 12 Old Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 865
You can also verify correct polarity of wiring with a battery, just disconnect the speaker wires from the amplifier and touch them to a 9v battery (or AA for less pop) making sure you are touching + to + and - to - and watch the woofer cone if it moves outwards the wiring is correct, if it moves inwards then a connection is reversed somewhere.
post #11 of 12 Old Today, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
You can also verify correct polarity of wiring with a battery, just disconnect the speaker wires from the amplifier and touch them to a 9v battery (or AA for less pop) making sure you are touching + to + and - to - and watch the woofer cone if it moves outwards the wiring is correct, if it moves inwards then a connection is reversed somewhere.

Will it hurt the compression driver though?

post #12 of 12 Old Today, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 511
The crossover will protect the CD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version