help with speaker pop please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
help with speaker pop please

i just refoamed the 6.5 inch woofers in a set of used ( new to me ) bang & olufsen redline 140's. when i played them for the first time at high volume i heard this piercing pop sound. i can reproduce it at set volume levels and set scenes in movies.

i have multiple amps and another set of working rl 140's so i started troubleshooting. i narrowed it down to one speaker. here is where i am getting a little stuck. i pulled it apart and checked all the individual cone resistances. they all ohm in the 6.0 to 6.5 range. they are all also identical to the working speaker. i connected everything back up and checked the resistance on the speaker terminals. 6.5 ohms so it looks to me just like an 8 ohm speaker should. it also matches the working speaker.

short of replacing all the components on the xover im not sure what else i can do? i don't think the woofers would all ohm normal ranges if one was bad. there are two 6.5" for the low, one 4" or so for the mid, and one 1" for the tweeter. again all are 6.0 ish ohms in the speaker that doesn't work and in the speaker that works. any suggestions would be appreciated.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

weak bass too

i forgot to add the bass is really weak and almost non existent in the bad speaker that i just refoamed. my gut is telling me its the crossover i just didn't want to go down that path. i can solder no problem i just didn't want one speaker now sounding different than the other. if i do one i feel like i would have now do the other three even though they are fine.

dave

Last edited by davidyurik; 06-23-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: removed the quoted text.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked: 2526
Does the cone move in smoothly if you press on it carefully? Seems like you might not have centered the voice coil in the center of the motor and it's rubbing or hanging up.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Another thing to try is to switch the drivers from a properly working speaker into the speaker with the possibly bad Xover, this will allow you to verify if it is the Xover or the driver(s).
post #5 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Does the cone move in smoothly if you press on it carefully? Seems like you might not have centered the voice coil in the center of the motor and it's rubbing or hanging up.
yes the 6.5's are centered correctly. they move smoothly and were setup with shims. i have not swapped anything with the working speaker yet but am at that point just to try and narrow down the culprit. when i listen closely to the speaker it comes more from the mid tweeter area and not the 6.5's.

dave
post #6 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoM3 View Post
Another thing to try is to switch the drivers from a properly working speaker into the speaker with the possibly bad Xover, this will allow you to verify if it is the Xover or the driver(s).
ill go give it a try and post when done. this might take a half hour. that damn speaker has a million screws in the back holding it together. ugh....

dave
post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2017, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

well this doesn't make a bit of sense. i swapped the woofers. i put the good in the bad and the bad in the good. all the bass has returned and plays in both speakers the same. it rattles some since i left out half the screws and all the internal foam. i also turned off the xover in the receiver so the whole range got sent to both speakers. i played the scene a few times taking note of the exact db that caused the pop yesterday. and just an fyi i raised it up slowly on the test yesterday in .5 db increments and you could hear the pop at varying volume levels.

today i turned it back up to the same db and ..... nothing. not one pop. its leading me to believe i just didn't assemble them right the first time. i am going to put them all back together ( screws, foam, etc... ) and test again. ill let you know what happens.

dave
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2017, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

here are a few pics. it's all back together and no pops. i turned the sub back on and set the xover in the receiver at 160. they sound just as good as my original pair. thanks for the fast replies @Stereodude and @PsychoM3 .

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_202230.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	2202681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_203247.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	2202689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_203254.jpg