So after lots of reading and lots of great advice I have begun my build and will update this thread with pictures and things along the way - all from the point of a complete wood working novice.. basically this is my first time handling a router and skillsaw for other purposes than cutting a few boards for the a shed.
In any case I settled for the Dayton rss390ho in a micro marty powered by an Inuke 3000 DSP.
First step was cutting the MDF board. - I cut the first two cuts and thought well that dust ain't that big of a deal, so I continued cutting without a mask... I'll tell you now if you're a noob like me and get that same idea... STOP.. and grab that mask!
After a couple of hours cutting I had all the pieces. It wasn't too hard, I found a youtube video of "how to create a guide" and it went rather well.
I had to try a dry fit
I thought I was pretty OK with my cuts, measuring before and after, but I can see I have quite a bit of sanding to do
Tomorrow I should recieve the Dayton unit, so looking forward to that very much.
Look forward to the progress. "Just a little box in the corner." I've been trying to find an appropriate analogy that would make sense to my wife for why we "need" a sub capable of <20 hz to get the full theater experience but haven't come up with a good one. Maybe I'll try a BLT without the bacon....
Hehe my wife saw the 15" Dayton and I believe she's beginning to understand what is happening.. not sure shes 100% behind the idea, but no going back now :-)
Got the back and second side glued together all fitting nicely:
However.... I must have been off by a couple of mm when doing some of the cuts, because everything from here is not quite fitting..
Here is the bottom port as you can see it's just a tiny bit too long, so I'll have to go take a quick stab at it with the skillsaw again. Thankfully it's too large and not too small though :-)
After a couple of hours of sanding I had the box more or less finished, so for the first time I began looking into how to use the the router.. Turns out there is a flush trim bit that would have saved me quite some time sanding lol :-)
Since it was my first time using a router I did a couple of tries with som spare wood pieces. turns out routing is actually not that difficult :-)
Next was getting the whole box assembled and sanded, so it's ready for priming and painting.
The wife wants it white - not high gloss or anything thankfully, but I am shooting for a fairly nice flat finish. We will see how it goes :-)