do any other vendors sell ported flat packs? DIYSG appers to have stopped. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tjcinnamon
  • 1 Post By VisionxOrb

post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 19
do any other vendors sell ported flat packs? DIYSG appers to have stopped.

Erich only has one left and his email indicates there is not enough interest to cut more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
Erich only has one left and his email indicates there is not enough interest to cut more.
For what? MBMs? Subs? It costs a lot to just have inventory laying around. Have you asked him if he'll cut more if you pay for more? Meaning, if you need 3 or 4; would he be willing to make the difference?

HT: Marantz 7702mkII | Crown Amps | 1299 L/C/R | Volt 8s | THTs | 1200Ds | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P | Oppo UHD-203 | PS4 |
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | X1
post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
You could see if these guys (at a local makerspace below) will help you model it and cut it with a CNC machine. That's what I'm doing in madison WI. It's $100 a month, but I'll get help making sure my CNC designs are correct and I'll learn how to veneer something.

I did all of the box modeling and designing with the help of everyone here.

https://www.meetup.com/Makerspace-Charlotte/
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 55C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6

post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
For what? MBMs? Subs? It costs a lot to just have inventory laying around. Have you asked him if he'll cut more if you pay for more? Meaning, if you need 3 or 4; would he be willing to make the difference?
ported subs. I guess i could ask....
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
ported subs. I guess i could ask....
Can't hurt.

Typed on a tiny keyboard, excuse any typos

HT: Marantz 7702mkII | Crown Amps | 1299 L/C/R | Volt 8s | THTs | 1200Ds | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P | Oppo UHD-203 | PS4 |
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | X1
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
It seems most people just cut their own boxes out of MDF since it is cheaper and easy. Shipping those big things makes it cost prohibitive.
You can still get flatpacks for sealed 18s through PartsExpress.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 843
A local cabinet shop could build to order. In Chicago we have owl lumber that will cut lumber for $1 a cut to 1/32 accuracy. Or a carpenter that you could find in a buy/sell group on Facebook. Craigslist is another option.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
If you're talking about that Cube-18 box, there wasn't much demand for it because the box alone was $250 delivered for something that can be fairly easily made on your own using about $60 worth of 3/4" MDF (two 4x8 sheets). Even if you have to pay someone else to make the cuts for you, it still comes out WAY cheaper than $250. Just like corradizo, I found a guy near me who will do cuts for $1/ea. And a box like that would have maybe 20-30 cuts, plus the router work on the brace if you want to get fancy (or you can just use thick wooden dowels), so you're looking at less than $100 for parts and cuts - so about 60% less than what it would cost for the flat pack delivered. I even found a guy with a CNC machine who will cut up a sheet however I want for $20/sheet, including dado joints.

The Parts Express 4 cu ft sealed flat pack kit is a good option if you buy it together with the sub, because then the box only ends up costing you about $125 delivered. But they don't sell any ported flat pack kits.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
The wood used on the Cube-18 (and many of the other flat packs) is about $50 per sheet, wholesale. Plum Creek is considered one of the best manufacturers and it's their highest quality mdf, which is just a little under high density material. It's a much better quality board than stuff most places have, but it's about 15% heavier which takes the flat pack to 100lbs.

For what it's worth, it wasn't an issue of interest or demand on those flat packs. They're just wasn't many reviews on them after the first run, and I usually go by that before getting more cut.

There are different cabinet options coming, but packaging/shipping will be done differently. Some of the larger speaker kits have $35 added in to cover "free shipping", so that $105 can get applied to a pallet being shipped. When someone gets a few speaker kits the larger subwoofer cabinets can be put on a pallet with them to help reduce shipping costs. Quite a few Stonehenge models have gone out that way preassembled and shipping ended up not costing any extra.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 907
^Does the Stonehenge even still exist? I thought it was out of stock.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #11 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard71 View Post
If you're talking about that Cube-18 box, there wasn't much demand for it because the box alone was $250 delivered for something that can be fairly easily made on your own using about $60 worth of 3/4" MDF (two 4x8 sheets). Even if you have to pay someone else to make the cuts for you, it still comes out WAY cheaper than $250. Just like corradizo, I found a guy near me who will do cuts for $1/ea. And a box like that would have maybe 20-30 cuts, plus the router work on the brace if you want to get fancy (or you can just use thick wooden dowels), so you're looking at less than $100 for parts and cuts - so about 60% less than what it would cost for the flat pack delivered. I even found a guy with a CNC machine who will cut up a sheet however I want for $20/sheet, including dado joints.

The Parts Express 4 cu ft sealed flat pack kit is a good option if you buy it together with the sub, because then the box only ends up costing you about $125 delivered. But they don't sell any ported flat pack kits.
Do these people get the wood for you and do all the cuts and cut outs and you just pick it up when they are ready? If not a lot of people do not have a vehicle to haul a sheet of MDF plus the time it takes to go get it and take it to the guy to cut and then come back to pick it up all adds up if a person time is valuable to them.

I do DIY but I know it is not as easy for everyone if they don't have the vehicle to haul a sheet or even half a sheet of MDF or plywood or in a bigger city even the travel distance and times adds, even more, cost/time/energy to all the running around. Just another point of view. But where there is a will there is a way

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #12 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The wood used on the Cube-18 (and many of the other flat packs) is about $50 per sheet, wholesale. Plum Creek is considered one of the best manufacturers and it's their highest quality mdf, which is just a little under high density material. It's a much better quality board than stuff most places have, but it's about 15% heavier which takes the flat pack to 100lbs.

For what it's worth, it wasn't an issue of interest or demand on those flat packs. They're just wasn't many reviews on them after the first run, and I usually go by that before getting more cut.

There are different cabinet options coming, but packaging/shipping will be done differently. Some of the larger speaker kits have $35 added in to cover "free shipping", so that $105 can get applied to a pallet being shipped. When someone gets a few speaker kits the larger subwoofer cabinets can be put on a pallet with them to help reduce shipping costs. Quite a few Stonehenge models have gone out that way preassembled and shipping ended up not costing any extra.
Maybe we need to launch a rally call here to see if response picks up for a special purchase wave. I've been monitoring those flat packs for a while, but not really needing to go that route yet. But I'd commit to a pair in such a push.

By the way, I can't find a subwoofer for the flat pack on Parts Express known as the "Dayton RS18" as indicated on the DIYSG web site. Anybody have a better description of the model?
post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
You could see if these guys (at a local makerspace below) will help you model it and cut it with a CNC machine. That's what I'm doing in madison WI. It's $100 a month, but I'll get help making sure my CNC designs are correct and I'll learn how to veneer something.

I did all of the box modeling and designing with the help of everyone here.

https://www.meetup.com/Makerspace-Charlotte/
I have been working at TechShop and just not had time to create cut files for the Marty Line and Johnny Subs, I am very interested in creating VCARVE files for each Marty & the Johnny.

@Erich H I love the DIY Sound Group product and project, are you open to selling the CNC cut files for someone to cut two boxes? A network of shopbots and trusted cutters could be an interesting way to take some heavy lifting on your end out. No need for a public discussion I love what you do.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
Maybe we need to launch a rally call here to see if response picks up for a special purchase wave. I've been monitoring those flat packs for a while, but not really needing to go that route yet. But I'd commit to a pair in such a push.

By the way, I can't find a subwoofer for the flat pack on Parts Express known as the "Dayton RS18" as indicated on the DIYSG web site. Anybody have a better description of the model?

295-472
Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 ohm
mikeTRON250LM likes this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #15 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote: