Help with recommendation for 2.1 music only bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaleNixon

post #1 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Help with recommendation for 2.1 music only bookshelf speakers

I was in the market for some small 6.5" bookshelves...looking at a few of the popular under $500/pr. recommendations from brands like KEF, Ascend, Chane, and others and I figured why not give DIY a shot. For home theater I'm completely happy with my Titan, Volts and Klipsch's, but I've never even owned a decent music-only speaker.

Criteria:
Music only...want a speaker that is accurate and flat
Enough speaker for a medium sized room
Will be powered by way less than 100w max per channel...nothing fancy
Not looking to spend any more than $300 for kit (can make my own enclosures separately if necessary)
Don't need full range because I will use a separate subwoofer for lows.
Was looking at bookshelves, but if a tower (or something in between) fits the bill that's fine, too. Again I can build enclosures myself so don't add that cost into the equation if it's not included in the kit.

One kit that stuck out when I was at DIYSG was the Overnight Sensation MTM. The only thing negative I read about it was the highs weren't quite detailed. I also have been considering another set of Volt-10's or try the Fusion 10's...but these are meant primarily for HT.

That's why I came here...to get opinions and experience with other kits.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Denon AVR-X4200W
7.4.2 Klipsch / Titan-615LX / Behringer / Volt-10LX Atmos build
NU3000DSP iNUKE / 2 SI HT18 D4's
NU6000DSP iNUKE / 2 Ultimax 18"s
BenQ W1070 / 10' AT screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
With the tweeter in the continuum being discontinued I'd seriously consider a Piccolo/Mandolin from Jeff Babgby or the Speedster by Paul Carmody
post #3 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri five rat View Post
45 yrs chasing the ear candy and more speakers than I can rember and the ELC B6 put on a good show unless you spend **significantly more money !
So to sum it up you believe I cannot find a DIY better than the Elac Debut B6 for $300? This is one of the speakers I was considering.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Are your Volt-10s the LX version or the earlier one? The LXs are supposed to be better for music. Can you pull your Volt-10s down, temporarily set them up in a 2.1 configuration and critically listen to some of your favorite music?
post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Are your Volt-10s the LX version or the earlier one? The LXs are supposed to be better for music. Can you pull your Volt-10s down, temporarily set them up in a 2.1 configuration and critically listen to some of your favorite music?
Yeah, they are the LX's in atmos boxes. I listened to music (CD FLAC) with them for hours before mounting them as surrounds. They sounded great to me even for music, but like I said before I've never owned good speakers specifically designed for music. Maybe there's something better in not having a compression driver for music. I don't know and I'm trying to find out.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cant say about DIY some of that can be decent but take a look at the Cnet ELAC B6 review and the video in youtube with Alex Jones @ ELAC B6 designers debout comparing ELAC B6 well to a $20,000 pair of bookshelf ,

I got some speaks her some years back for lot more money ,towers too not as good as 2 of my ELAC B6 go figure
That's cool, I'll keep those in mind, but would also like to move onto specific DIY speakers and first-hand experience.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
@DaleNixon , I don't think there's an absolute answer about having compression drivers for music. It's more of a personal preference with different folks having different preferences. One side will try to shift you one way and the other side will try to shift you the other way. But in the end it's your own ears that have to make the decision about what's best for you. You need to try to get out and listen to a variety of speakers with your own ears and not be swayed by what "they" say.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@DaleNixon , I don't think there's an absolute answer about having compression drivers for music. It's more of a personal preference with different folks having different preferences. One side will try to shift you one way and the other side will try to shift you the other way. But in the end it's your own ears that have to make the decision about what's best for you. You need to try to get out and listen to a variety of speakers with your own ears and not be swayed by what "they" say.
You're right...problem is the last time, a long time ago, I went to a big box store to demo speakers and came home with Bose 301's. I had those for years..make it: over a decade (two versions). My main complaint about them was over time they seemed to get muddy sounding. I finally purchased a Klipsch set, the cheap little synergy 5.25" and discovered this $110 pair blew away the Bose in detail and clarity. I'm now onto the Reference II Series and honestly think even the lowly Ikon and Synergy speakers aren't that far off of the II's in sound. I love almost anything with a horn, including the Monoprice 15" I used as a center for a year or so until I upgraded to the Titan LX.

Yet, I'm willing to gamble on a cheap set of LR's being that I'm just going to spend $300 or less and will enjoy the process of building, so even if I don't love the sound I will learn to at least respect the sound due to the time I put into building it. Worse case scenario they replace my bedroom LR's which are Dayton Audio B652 AIR's. (Forgot about those...my only set of speakers that aren't compression driver speakers.)

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Denon AVR-X4200W
post #9 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebedbeard View Post
With the tweeter in the continuum being discontinued I'd seriously consider a Piccolo/Mandolin from Jeff Babgby or the Speedster by Paul Carmody
Can you point me to a website that carries the Piccolo/Mandolin so I can read their description and specs?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleNixon View Post
Quote:
Can you point me to a website that carries the Piccolo/Mandolin so I can read their description and specs?
Yep!

Mandolin:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/mandolin-kit-pair/

Mandolin MTM (bit out of the price range):
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/ma...ones-kit-each/

Piccolo:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/piccolo-pair/

Speedster:
https://meniscusaudio.com/product/speedster-pair/

The piccolo and the speedster are the smaller of the two and would probably be my choices for a desktop set.

If you decide to not go the DIY route I think you'd be hard pressed to beat these for the money

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
post #11 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
building speaks is drugry IMO...more words...a lot of misspellings
You realize this is a thread in the "DIY Speakers and Subs" subforum right? Most here have built speakers and/or subs; Most here have surely bought speakers and/or subs. It's not drudgery building to custom suit your needs. And it's not if you have the proper tools and decent skills. Check out the "Speaker" forum and post there if it suits you better, because it kind of seems like you registered today just to demonstrate the perfect example of a thread-crap, and randomly picked this thread...for whatever reason.
Toxic teletubby likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleNixon View Post
Quote:
I don't know why I thought this was for a desktop. In that case I'd look at something like the mandolin or the MTM version if you want to stretch it a bit
post #13 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 1893
Pete Schumacher is working on a TM and MTM speaker using Anarchy woofers and a 30mm Wavecor tweeter. He's got the initial crossover design done but will be doing the final tweaking over the next month. Should be a fairly small speaker that can easily be used full range with gobs of bass output for it's size.

There are some other Fountek ribbon speakers in the works as well.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know why I thought this was for a desktop. In that case I'd look at something like the mandolin or the MTM version if you want to stretch it a bit
No problem, and thanks for all of the recommendations. The Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitor based on the BR-1 kit was already on my radar as well.

Denon AVR-X4200W
post #15 of 15 Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Pete Schumacher is working on a TM and MTM speaker using Anarchy woofers and a 30mm Wavecor tweeter. He's got the initial crossover design done but will be doing the final tweaking over the next month. Should be a fairly small speaker that can easily be used full range with gobs of bass output for it's size.

There are some other Fountek ribbon speakers in the works as well.
That's cool because I'm not really in a rush, just in the curiosity stage now. I think I remember reading in a different thread those ribbon speakers were in the works.

Denon AVR-X4200W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page