• 1 Post By NINaudio
  • 1 Post By NINaudio

post #1 of 22 Old 09-12-2017, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Easy, inexpensive DIY option

So I'm looking to upgrade from my current sub (still) and I'm thinking I'd like to try my hand at something DIY.

The whole process will be done in steps for now as $$$ are tight since going back to school.

It would need to be a flat pack option as I don't have wood working tools.

1st step: repurpose an older 12" IDMax (v.2 d4) sub that is in a ~1.85 cubic foot enclosure for use at home by purchasing a bridgable amp that could be used for multiple subs later. Considering The XLS 1502 as it will have more than enough power for the IDMax and will power future sub(s) upgrades well.

2nd step: Get a minidsp for more EQ functions. I'm guessing I would want to go with the HD version?

3rd step: If I'm still not happy with the bass response I would then look at DIY options. After doing some research on this, the Dayton UM 18-22 flatpack seems like it would be a great option, I am handy enough that I'd be able to assemble it and paint/finish it. Is typical home latex paint good, or should I go with something that is more durable? Is there anything else I should consider in that general price range of the UM18-22 and flatpack?

| Samsung UN55H7150 | NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | Denon AVR-X4000 | Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 950 mains, VR 10 center, NHT Superzero 2.1 surrounds | IDMax 12 v2d4 powered by a Crown XLS 1502 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That sounds like a good option.
Another option is Stereo Intergrity HT 18 v2 and DIY Soundgroup flatpack powered with an Inuke.

I'm very happy with the one I built.I have all the parts to build another soon.The DIY Soundgroup flatpack for the SI drivers come in Baltic Birch,which I stained and varnished with a Duratex baffle.

I think there are better options than latex paint.I've used Duratex some others have used a Behr product for decks that I think they were happy with.

If you search for sealed flatpack builds you will find different finish options and many useful build tips.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg35 View Post
Another option is Stereo Intergrity HT 18 v2 and DIY Soundgroup flatpack powered with an Inuke.
Second the above. If Hz/$ is your main concern, I'd lean towards the HT-18 with iNuke amplification. The iNuke DSP would cover your step 2 as well.

Not to push you away from a flat pack, but if you have more time than money on your hands, you could probably buy the simple woodworking tools needed to build a box which would far outperform a 4ft³ flatpack from a sonic perspective (likely not from an aesthetic perspective) and come out about even in total cost. Lets look at a full Marty just to take it to the extreme:
-2 sheets MDF from Home Cheapo=$60 (used for bracing as well)
-Cheap jigsaw from Home Cheapo=$40 (not needed if you convince the Home Cheapo to cut for you)
-48" drywall square to measure, square and line up cuts from Home Cheapo=$11
-Extra glue for larger box from Home Cheapo=$6
-Safety glasses from, you guessed it, Home Cheapo=$5
$122

-Clamps would be required for both flatpack and Marty, omit (although if truly pressed you could probably put the flatpack together without them)
-Finishing costs would increase with box size but not much, omit
-Driver, wiring, SpeakON, Speakon chassis mount would all be needed in either case, omit
-Technical support from bassheads on forum, priceless

If you would rather have a premade solution (albeit a small sealed rather than large ported) we all understand but will still try to push you towards putting a subwoofer in a shed nonetheless . Either the Parts Express or DIYSG 4ft³ sealed boxes will likely still impress you from an upgrade perspective and will probably have a higher WAF assuming your woodworking skills are limited.
18Hurts and Oklahomie like this.

Last edited by lavakv; 09-13-2017 at 05:49 AM.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavakv View Post
Second the above. If Hz/$ is your main concern, I'd lean towards the HT-18 with iNuke amplification. The iNuke DSP would cover your step 2 as well.

Not to push you away from a flat pack, but if you have more time than money on your hands, you could probably buy the simple woodworking tools needed to build a box which would far outperform a 4ft³ flatpack from a sonic perspective (likely not from an aesthetic perspective) and come out about even in total cost. Lets look at a full Marty just to take it to the extreme:

-2 sheets MDF from Home Cheapo=$60 (used for bracing as well)

-Cheap jigsaw from Home Cheapo=$40 (not needed if you convince the Home Cheapo to cut for you)

-48" drywall square to measure, square and line up cuts from Home Cheapo=$11

-Extra glue for larger box from Home Cheapo=$6

-Safety glasses from, you guessed it, Home Cheapo=$5

$122

-Clamps would be required for both flatpack and Marty, omit (although if truly pressed you could probably put the flatpack together without them)

-Finishing costs would increase with box size but not much, omit

-Driver, wiring, SpeakON, Speakon chassis mount would all be needed in either case, omit

-Technical support from bassheads on forum, priceless

If you would rather have a premade solution (albeit a small sealed rather than large ported) we all understand but will still try to push you towards putting a subwoofer in a shed nonetheless . Either the Parts Express or DIYSG 4ft³ sealed boxes will likely still impress you from an upgrade perspective and will probably have a higher WAF assuming your woodworking skills are limited.

Yes I second this. Check my build thread out. I'm a novice when it comes to woodworking, but I managed to pull it off. Very happy I decided to build it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 347
There's also always the option of having HD cut the panels for you. Sometimes they charge a few bucks per cut, but often they don't bother. If you have all panels cut, you can get by working slowly with a couple of clamps (which you'd need for a flat pack anyway).
Oklahomie likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
There's also always the option of having HD cut the panels for you. Sometimes they charge a few bucks per cut, but often they don't bother. If you have all panels cut, you can get by working slowly with a couple of clamps (which you'd need for a flat pack anyway).

I had Home Depot cut mine. I closely "assisted" the guy with his measurement to make sure it was correct. He did a great job and it turned out very accurate.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. Crown XLS 1502 won out over the inuke for the quieter fan and longer warranty. I'll model the SI sub as well and see which I'd prefer to go with.

| Samsung UN55H7150 | NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | Denon AVR-X4000 | Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 950 mains, VR 10 center, NHT Superzero 2.1 surrounds | IDMax 12 v2d4 powered by a Crown XLS 1502 |
post #8 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

And yes, while I'd love to have a huge box behind all of these subs, there is mine as well as my girl's approval factor to be taken into consideration. I'm lucky enough that she has given me the go ahead to just go with what I think will make and keep me happy. :-)

post #9 of 22 Old 09-13-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINaudio View Post
And yes, while I'd love to have a huge box behind all of these subs, there is mine as well as my girl's approval factor to be taken into consideration. I'm lucky enough that she has given me the go ahead to just go with what I think will make and keep me happy. :-)

In the end, having the spouse's acceptance is the most important since it's a 50/50 relationship? Practice your sales speech! Lol

post #10 of 22 Old 09-14-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 634
50/50? -not quite

watch the new South Park . . .

ask me how I know

otherwise - huge boxes - no problem
michael hurd and unretarded like this.

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU/SHARP 80" LED/LCD
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x Inuke6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #11 of 22 Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

She's pretty much ok with whatever I'm ok with in terms of sub boxes.

post #12 of 22 Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Just built a SI-18 sub, total cost was 200 bucks.........minimal tools, a hammer,finish nails...$19 jig saw and a screw gun.

Had lowes do most of the cuts, but could of had them do all cuts.

Glue it together, tack a few nails and a few screws to hold it while the glue dries......super easy.

Crazy performance for 200 bucks.......
markg35 and asarose247 like this.

Link to budget Home Theater build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...i-version.html
post #13 of 22 Old 09-15-2017, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Did I not warn you in my first post that we would gang up on you! I can hear the chants of "do it, do it, do it,DO it,DO IT,DO IT!, DO IT!!" from here.

This forum has a load of people who will help you step by step if you're willing to take the time, and if your significant other is pretty much OK with whatever size you want, then I say...do it. I don't think I've read a post on this forum that sounded like "I wish I hadn't put this driver in a refrigerator, it's just too big, and plays too deep".
markg35, bscool, 18Hurts and 1 others like this.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
She's pretty much ok with whatever I'm ok with in terms of sub boxes.

When all else fails, cry.

"all the other boys have TWO"
NINaudio, esappy and unretarded like this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #15 of 22 Old 09-15-2017, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavakv View Post
Did I not warn you in my first post that we would gang up on you! I can hear the chants of "do it, do it, do it,DO it,DO IT,DO IT!, DO IT!!" from here.

This forum has a load of people who will help you step by step if you're willing to take the time, and if your significant other is pretty much OK with whatever size you want, then I say...do it. I don't think I've read a post on this forum that sounded like "I wish I hadn't put this driver in a refrigerator, it's just too big, and plays too deep".
Yes, you did warn me, but as it turns out, I'm not too fond of refrigerator sized boxes in my living room.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-16-2017, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a comparison of the SC4000 to the IDMax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC4000 vs IDMAX 12.jpg (257.3 KB, 14 views)

post #17 of 22 Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Can't find any TS specs for that driver, but it looks like it has a healthy xmax and good power handling. You could build a nice sized ported cab for it. I bet something in the 4 cubic foot range tuned to 20-25hz would work well.

I would go with the inuke 3000dsp with a fan mod. It should have plenty of power at 2 ohms on one channel, and you would have the other channel for another sub later on. Or maybe better, use the other channel for transducers. Plus it will eliminate the need for the minidsp.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-16-2017, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Can't find any TS specs for that driver, but it looks like it has a healthy xmax and good power handling. You could build a nice sized ported cab for it. I bet something in the 4 cubic foot range tuned to 20-25hz would work well.

I would go with the inuke 3000dsp with a fan mod. It should have plenty of power at 2 ohms on one channel, and you would have the other channel for another sub later on. Or maybe better, use the other channel for transducers. Plus it will eliminate the need for the minidsp.
Too late for the Inuke, that REW graph was from my space with the IDMax powered by a bridged Crown XLS 1502.

I wasn't able to find TS parameters for it either. I called the manufacturer, but the company was bought out years back and they no longer have access to the info for this model version. It is certainly a beefy driver, I was always impressed with it when running it in my car.
esappy likes this.

post #19 of 22 Old 09-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Too late for the Inuke, that REW graph was from my space with the IDMax powered by a bridged Crown XLS 1502.

I wasn't able to find TS parameters for it either. I called the manufacturer, but the company was bought out years back and they no longer have access to the info for this model version. It is certainly a beefy driver, I was always impressed with it when running it in my car.
I like your choice of amp. I have been waffling back and forth between the Crown and the Behringer and am leaning towards the Crown because it is much quieter as well as supposedly very cool running but also has a better warranty. I know you can do the fan mod and make the Behringer quieter, but it would void the warranty and in this world of disposable electronics, I'm hesitant to do that.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #20 of 22 Old 09-16-2017, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
When all else fails, cry.

"all the other boys have TWO"
That is funny!

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #21 of 22 Old 09-16-2017, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
I like your choice of amp. I have been waffling back and forth between the Crown and the Behringer and am leaning towards the Crown because it is much quieter as well as supposedly very cool running but also has a better warranty. I know you can do the fan mod and make the Behringer quieter, but it would void the warranty and in this world of disposable electronics, I'm hesitant to do that.
Yeah, that's why I went with the Crown as well. For the record, the crown is super quiet. I have it about 6 feet from my listening position right now and I don't hear a thing. I'm not really hesitant to mod things as I do mod my pc's and cars, but I didn't want to be bothered with cracking open a brand new amp to make it quieter.
esappy likes this.

post #22 of 22 Old 09-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I went with the Crown as well. For the record, the crown is super quiet. I have it about 6 feet from my listening position right now and I don't hear a thing. I'm not really hesitant to mod things as I do mod my pc's and cars, but I didn't want to be bothered with cracking open a brand new amp to make it quieter.
I feel the same way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page