Need help with sub configuration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Need help with sub configuration

With summer coming to an end and the work in the yard complete I'm refocusing on my theater build. I have finally pulled the pin on 8 Volt 10's, received them last week. My first experience with a package forwarder and DIY, thanks Erich!

I'm now thinking subs. I'll be going with Mach5 - Mark is a great, personable guy and Canadian. I've been debating between 2 18s' or 21's, I think I've settled on larger. I have 12' of width, 6' of height and 21" of depth behind the screen to play with. Before I try and I'll emphasis the word try, to model them for my room, can I open the ported vs. sealed debate .... again? The room is completely sealed, 20'x15'x8'. I'm not looking for an involuntary bowel movement or bleeding ears, just solid low end and wow factor. I know this is a tough "it depends" question, I guess I'm looking for those who have been down either road and some of the lessons learned that might help me with the decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2017, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2383 Post(s)
Liked: 2155
If you are limited to 2 subs, horned or ported is best.

Most people find that 2 sealed subs just aren't loud enough. With the exception of maybe dual 32's.

It depends on how much of a basshead you are, or how high your expectations are.

Horned is about 6db louder than ported.
Ported is about 8db louder than sealed, but only near the tuning (i.e. the bottom end below 30-ish hz.)

You will notice that the needed box size to port woofers bigger than ~18's, climbs rather rapidly...
By the time you hit +24's, it is almost easier to just stay sealed. (Easier, but not louder... )

You will need a FP14k or SpeakerPower amp to drive dual 21's sealed. They can handle a good deal of power in a sealed config, in fact they almost demand it...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
iirc, both those use the same motor, right? that suggests a marty-sized cabinet for the uxl18 and something quite a bit larger for the ftw21, if going ported.

kingpin did some absolutely monster ported cabs for his 21's:
The Beluga's. Yes another LTD02 design.
jbrown15 and chalugadp had uxl15's in ported cabs (different form factors) and both like them. here is joe's thread:
LTD-M18 Sub Build

looks like the photobucket images are all busted in kingpin's thread. here is one that i happened to save.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tt.png
Views:	61
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	2284846  

Listen. It's All Good.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Just read through the ported build, wow, huge. I thought I had a path but am back to thinking things through yet again.

I understand that sealed requires more power but what are we talking? My thought has been an inuke 6000 or similar powering both.

I'm not against building out ported in fact, there's no better way to add wow than with a 6 foot tall enclosure. What concerns me is my sheer lack of knowledge around box design and port tuning. That is a lot of hours into a build to miss the mark. Is there an easy way to simulate a design for my space? I have 6ft of height, 21" of depth and about 30" width available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page