SpeakerPower SP2-8000 and Subwoofers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnDean

post #1 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
SpeakerPower SP2-8000 and Subwoofers

Good afternoon Gents,

I'm reposting in this thread to get some help and ideas.

I need some opinions on what would be the better efficient route with my 4 subwoofers.

I have (2) Stereo Integrity HST-18 MK1 in 2 Mini Marty Subwoofer boxes being powered by a Speakerpower SP2-8000 (2600 4ohm, or 4000 2 ohm per channel).. and

(2) SI DS418 in 2 Full Marty Subwoofer boxes being powered by INUKE6000.

I have all subwoofers in 4 ohm configuration to match the amplifiers. My question is will it be more efficient running all 4 subwoofers from the Speakerpower amplifier wired for 2 ohms per channel 2 subwoofers each ??? That would be about 2000 watts per sub.. Or should I stay with the current configuration and allow the Inuke to power the DS418's running about 1200 watts each while the HSTs are getting about 2600 watts each???

I was thinking on using the Inuke in the future for another subwoofer project down the road. I understand the SP amplifiers basically shine with 2 ohm loads. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance..

If you KRANK it.. They will Listen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. ported only pull max current right around the tuning point and as you know the speakerpower have good current management. the only risk would appear to be thermalling the ds4's. can you limit the power to them with your rig?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. ported only pull max current right around the tuning point and as you know the speakerpower have good current management. the only risk would appear to be thermalling the ds4's. can you limit the power to them with your rig?
Thanks for the reply,

One thing, I did not know that ported pulls most current around the tuning point. Thanks for the info. Also, I do not have a limiter or voltage limiter. Can I just use the gain knob to limit voltage?, or to turn that side down on the SP amp?

2 HSTs on channel "A" and DS4-18's on Channel "B". Or is there a limiter I can purchase to use?? It's on a 20 am circuit by itself with a Behringer Mic2200 HPF set to around 14-16hz in that range. The detents may not be that accurate, but my graphs show roll off about 16hz.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
post #5 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I don't know about your layout, but you loose the ability to EQ the drivers individually if you have multiples on 1 channel. Just throwing it out there.
LTD02 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
I don't know about your layout, but you loose the ability to EQ the drivers individually if you have multiples on 1 channel. Just throwing it out there.
^This is the only problem I see you potentially running into.

My Setup | FS: Salamander Synergy 303, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Sanus UF22 Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, 5 channel Polk LSi system (all threads here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #7 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
The SP2-8000 is designed to run 2ohm loads so I definitely recommend it.
Thanks , I didn;t know they were Designed for it. I'm used to reading that most amps don't do well with 2 ohms. I just got one because of the reliability of them... That;s it .. Thanks for the info.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
There are 2 Subs on the front, and 2 in the rear.. They will be paired as such and EQd as such. If that's the only problem, then I think it should be fine as Audyssey does well with the Eqing. I'm sure it could be better. But I don't have the knowledge to do it. lol..

Thanks a bunch.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
^This is the only problem I see you potentially running into.
Got it.. Thats a good thing if that's it.. lol

post #10 of 10 Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Yes, if your running the Sp on a 4ohm load your doing yourself, your speakers and the amps a disservice.

The HST will take that power all day long, depending on how hard you push the DS4 may not last.
Thanks for the reply, and insight. I started the same thread in the DIY Speaker forum and got some of the same feedback on it. I did not know they were "Designed" for 2 ohm.

I bought it because I went through 2 Inukes 6000 (Both on separate occasions Broke, went dead, without even using them.. Turned them both on one day and Poof, not working... One was red ring of death, and the other just didn't power on .... CRAAAZY.) and wanted a more "Reliable" subwoofer amplifier for my HST's with alot of power at 4ohm.

I hope this also help others...

On a side note, I did the swap and it does make a nice difference in the response of the DS4-18's, They are very loud and clear. The bass in the room is more powerful to the fact of I even tested the "Sub Killer Scenes"... Edge of Tomorrow intro, War of the Worlds, Even Bass I love you Music.. They all sounded great and Hit hard. I dialed down the gain some and made sure High Pass filters were spot on as much as I could (because of the analog buttons on the MIC2200. ) just to make sure they do not bottom out. It's on a dedicated 20 amp breaker, so I think I should be good. But coming from Inuke6000 to Speakerpower.. There's no competition.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page