Dual Sealed Mach 5 ULX-18 Subwoofers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By tubby1450
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz

post #1 of 17 Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dual Sealed Mach 5 ULX-18 Subwoofers

So I have not posted here in a while. I have tried to enjoying my system as it is instead of doing endless tweaks and upgrades. Other priorities have taken a focus away from this hobby. Luckily, I am really happy with the system the way it is for what we use it for.

However, I digress, the reason for this post is I built some sub about 2 years a go, and just finally got around to finishing the raw MDF cabinets last week. I thought I would share with the community since I quietly got all the info to get these bad boys built from here.

Unfortunately I did not take any build pics other then before and after finishing. I did not do anything that can't be found in other build threads so you are not missing much.

The boxes:

Double baffle, recessed driver mount. Sealed, 21" in all dimensions. I don't remember what the internal dimensions worked out to be in the end. There is a a bunch of cross bracing. Front to back bracing is located at the drive mount holes so the driver could be attached without t/hurricane nuts.
I used t-nuts on my last build and they were a pain. Boxes were glued and screwed with standard dry wall screws. I don't have any clamps so went with the screws. They are filled with poly fill, again I don't remember how much I calculated to go in there. I don't have many tools. In total I only used a table saw, router and drill. I made my own circle jig for the router.

The drivers:
March 5 ULX-18. Beautiful beasts. Not much to say other then heavy, well made, look and sound great. Being in Canada they were and easy choice.

Finish:
So for two years they sat as MDF monstrosities. I made a point to take a week off work before temps got too low to use the contact cement and got these done. There is a local wood supplier that has a huge selection of veneer. Exotic woods in Burlington. Check them out, they have great stuff. I got a 4x8 sheet of paper backed walnut veneer for $100, which was enough to do both boxes. I did not cover the bottoms or back. I figures why waste the money on the sides no one will see.

I attached the veneer with Lapage heavy duty contact cement. I know there is a lot of advise about the best method to apply veneer. I have used contact cement in my last build and it was fine so went with that method again. I am not expert but if you do use it, make sure you get excellent coverage on both parts. The MDF, especially end grain will soak up the contact cement and need several coats. Similarly the paper back seems to soak up a lot as well. Make sure there is a sheen to the glue, if it goes dull when dry add some more. Also make sure it dries well before attaching the veneer. Sides need to be not sticky to the touch. I give at least a good 15 mins before connection.

To make sure your veneer is lined up properly I use the wax paper method. Dowels work as well but wax paper is what I had on hand. The dried glue will not stick to the wax paper. Lay 2 pieces on the box. each piece overlapping in the middle of the side by a few inches. Lay the veneer which you have cut to hang over each edge by about a 1/2 inch on the side. This lets you position the piece where you want it. Once it is in place hold it steady and slide one of the wax paper pieces out gradually, from the center. Then the same for the other piece. Use a land scrap piece of wood instead of a j roller to smooth out any air bubbles and provide the force for the glue to stick fully.

I did the final trim of the veneer with a razor blade and sanded it flush. I guess a flush trim bit would work as well but I just don't trust power tool (in my hands) on the delicate veneer edge. i may just be paranoid.

Once covered I sanded down to 300 grit I think (need to double check this). Finish applied is pure tung oil. It is easy to work, non toxic, smells nice (like nuts) with and I find it brings out the grain and natural walnut color well. It does take a long time to cure fully, but they have all the time in the world to cure sitting in the theater. Application is easy. Rub on with a rag, let it sit for a bit and remove extra with another rag. Let it sit over night. Apply another coat the next day and sand with 600 grit. Remove extra and let it sit over night. Do this for 3 coats and you should have a nice smooth durable finish. At least that is what google tells me. Tung oil dries to a fairly matte finish.

Hope you like the result. Thanks for all the help everyone gave me without knowing. I will try to answer any questions as best I can.

Listening:
Sound great. My previous sub was a 12" ported Adire Shiva DIY. These are night and day, which they should be. So tight and clean. I have them powered each with an bridged EP4000. The theater is in a basement with a concrete slab and these will shake the couch without braking a sweat. I am running an XMC-1 processor and using the standard Dirac room correction with a house curve to bring up the deep stuff. I had REW graphs on an old laptop that has since died other wise I would provide the frequency graphs. Unfortunately I don't see a time in the near future to be able to run any measurements. If I ever get around to upgrading Dirac or re running things I will update this post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-09-13 08.35.52.jpg (5.35 MB, 530 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Those look great, love the walnut.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looking good!

post #4 of 17 Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 644
a grand expression of the spirit of DIY,
persistence and focus . .

and good looking to boot . .

those UXL's . . mighty might beasts .

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #5 of 17 Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Wow those cabinets are beautiful.

Sent from my 80-286 DOS 3.2/Windows 3.0 machine using Terminal
post #6 of 17 Old 09-24-2017, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2167
Fixed:

The only thing I have to say about improving it, would be:
Sometime in the future, these things could probably use a SpeakerPower amp, to give them the proper juice they deserve.
The EP4000's are decent for the money, but tend to clip too easily, especially when pushed in the 1-20hz region.
By comparison they are: heavy, inefficient, run warm or hot, and are noisy-ish.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 41
They look great!Very nice choice for drivers.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Great! Can't wait to get back into DIYing next year.

Epson 5040ub 125" 2.35:1 Silver Ticket (white)
Pioneer Elite SC-99 & Pioneer Elite A-20
Pioneer Elite SP-EFS73 (L,R,C) / SP-EBS73 (S & RS) / SW-E10 (4)
Sony UBP-X800
Xfinity X1 & nVidia Shield Pro
post #9 of 17 Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2202 Post(s)
Liked: 2078
Wow those look very good. Congratulations on the great build.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio
post #10 of 17 Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the kudos.

BassThatHz - thanks for fixing the picture. The SpeakerPower amps look good but are definitely out of my price range. I have not heard or seen (clip lights) any signs of clipping yet, knock on wood. Maybe sometime in the future if funds permit, thanks for the tip.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby1450 View Post
I have not seen clip lights yet, knock on wood.
No need to knock on wood, you'd be hard pressed to hurt a UXL-18 with a bridged EP4k.

There are basically two zones:
>40hz which is the "melt it" thermal zone.
<40hz which is the "bottoming it out" zone.

Those only happen at fairly high powers. The UXL-18 handled 20KW bursts from the Powersoft amp on data-bass, just like nearly all of the subwoofers did. The rated excursion is a known value, it's pretty obvious when a cone is moving about 3inches to get into the trouble zone.

That tells me that you probably aren't pushing it very hard, as clipping an EP4k with a UXL-18 shouldn't be too terribly difficult. A quick 1 second burst of death-metal drumming ought to be enough to see the clip LED with little risk to the sub.

Here is an example of unbridged vs unbridged:

Where the EP was giving up the ghost, the 14k was just getting started!
As you can see, bridging a FP14000 would kill just about any driver... (Excellent Smithers! )

and according to NotNyt... the SpeakerPower is even MORE powerful than the FP14k under sustained sinewave conditions such as this. So there you go...
OJ Bartley likes this.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 09-27-2017 at 07:18 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Wow, the veneer really looks great! I like your stack of sealed UXLs.

What did you use in between the subs to space them apart? I'm using 2 strips of the foam "puzzle piece" flooring tiles, the long thin end pieces, and they were making some noise at high volume. For now I wrapped them in fabric, but I'd like to figure something else out.

Thanks for those videos, BTH. I'm pretty sure I'm not pushing my UXLs anywhere near their limits on a single iNuke 6k, the only really big movement I've seen so far is the final note in the Edge of Tomorrow credits bass drop scene.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-30-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

What did you use in between the subs to space them apart? I'm using 2 strips of the foam "puzzle piece" flooring tiles, the long thin end pieces, and they were making some noise at high volume. For now I wrapped them in fabric, but I'd like to figure something else out.

Thanks for those videos, BTH. I'm pretty sure I'm not pushing my UXLs anywhere near their limits on a single iNuke 6k, the only really big movement I've seen so far is the final note in the Edge of Tomorrow credits bass drop scene.
I just used some felt pads furniture pads. Seems to be doing ok. Yours look great. I kept going back and forth between painting and veneer. having never been great at painting I went with what had been successful in the past.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby1450 View Post
I just used some felt pads furniture pads. Seems to be doing ok. Yours look great. I kept going back and forth between painting and veneer. having never been great at painting I went with what had been successful in the past.
The veneer looks beautiful, I'd be proud to have those on display in my home. In this particular case for me, they'll be moving down to the basement and going behind a screen wall, so I wanted a dark matte finish. If they were going to be out in the open I may have tried my hand at veneer, it's something I've got on my list to learn.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
post #15 of 17 Old 10-01-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 3042
post #16 of 17 Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

The generic search:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...&sprefix=anti+

What I use personally:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002I...fCL&ref=plSrch

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 and 3 Towers
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
post #17 of 17 Old 10-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Thanks! I don't know how I haven't searched that myself...? Those look great.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page