Nice Cabinets, terrible sound (Seas Prestige FA22CRZ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz

post #1 of 12 Old 09-23-2017, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nice Cabinets, terrible sound (Seas Prestige FA22CRZ

Forgive me, I'm a new member and not really an audio maven, so if I misuse terminology or say something stupid, be gentle.

I took a flyer on some gorgeous walnut speakers at a thrift store. I'm not into these for much $, but I'd like to be able to use them for more than just end tables. But they sound dreadful, muffled, no real highs or lows, just flat midrange. They don't sound blown, just harsh and unmusical. They sound worse than my little Boston Acoustics CR7s.

I opened one up (super-tight box, very solid and well-made), and found to my surprise a fairly decent driver, a Seas Prestige FARCZ H1597-08. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. One of these retails for quite a bit more than I paid for the pair. It also has a rear port, which used to be a front port -- there's a small block of wood covering the old front-facing hole. My guess is that the builder tried the front port, didn't like it, tried the back port, didn't like that either, and gave to the thrift store.

The cabinet inside dimensions are 15.875" H, 20.5" W, 12.5" D, which is 4068 cubic inches or 66.66 liters (minus the volume of the driver and the port tube). There's an inch or so of fiberglass batting stapled on all sides.

I want to make them sound better, but I know nothing about DIY speakers. Is the problem likely to be bad drivers, or bad cabinet or port design? Should I replace the drivers with a coaxial driver? Should I switch to a two-way design, maybe by mounting a tweeter in the former port hole? Should I block up the port, or change the tube length, or just leave the hole open? Should I fill the box with material? Or should I just go out and get some speakers that don't suck?

I have pics if you need to see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Pictures would help , for this resurrection . .

Also - for starters, you'll need

1. Ancient family castle with basement laboratory
2. Spire mounted electrodes to get life giving power from the next available lightning storm
3. an assistant >Igor
4. Court ordered certification of Sanity
5. Corner the market on torches and pitchforks . .

you'll reap a fortune so you can buy a proven design to listen to while waiting to bring this "frankensprecher" to life . .

HTH

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #3 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 380
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=...nge&Itemid=466

http://www.seas.no/images/stories/pr...cz_appnote.pdf

This should help.
From a quick glance I'd guess (and only guess) that cabinet is of decent size, but given predicted frequency response from Seas website, I'd DSP the **** out of that annoying high frequency rising response which is most likely responsible for harshness (especially that 3k peak haha).

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i2

Last edited by donktard; 09-24-2017 at 11:29 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
[
I'd DSP the **** out of that annoying high frequency rising response
Pardon my ignorance, but what is DSP?
post #5 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnarf View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is DSP?
Digital Signal Processing, of any sort. But you basically need only EQ. Parametric EQ to be specific.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, SVS PC13-Ultra
post #6 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker front.jpg (240.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg speaker back.jpg (144.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg speaker inside.jpg (154.5 KB, 69 views)
post #7 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Digital Signal Processing, of any sort. But you basically need only EQ. Parametric EQ to be specific.
All I have is bass and treble on my receiver. I don't want to buy any more gear; I just want halfway decent sounding speakers. My Bostons are adequate but lack punch (they're small bookshelfs). I've borrowed other speakers that sounded fine. But these sound dreadful. I don't think there's any equalizer in the world that can bring back that muffled bass with no bottom at all.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here are some pics:
Looks nice, thats as far as it goes. But, you have a one big problem there. Coax or not, gotta put that driver at ear level, so try that first....see if anything improves. Also, don't corner load them so much, your are boosting low end quite a bit that way. (you are basically reinforcing it with 3 walls given drivers distance from floor)
Top shelf extruding in front of speaker baffle is probably not doing it any good. And given baffle size, you also need some electronics in there to compensate for that too. So ya, I'd say that thing needs some fixing, but try leveling it with ear first and see what happens.

Last edited by donktard; 09-24-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Ah. They can't be raised, they're on floor and my decorator-in-charge wants them there. She wants them there even if I disconnect them. I can pull them out a little, but that's it.

If I'm boosting low end, they must really not have any to start with, because these things have terrible bass.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Got REW?

get the mike and find out how bad they really are - or are not

the you'll have a direction to go. . . .

it there any budget allotted . .?

DIYSG is having a clearance on the concentric 8's, which you "could" put on small stands to get to the 15+" height restriction . .

also the Fusion 8's are only a few inches taller but much much less boxy

and in my experience, walnut burns very nicely . .

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS/DSU Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...orn-build.html
post #11 of 12 Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 131
You've got to consider what you are working with is a single 8" full range driver installed in speaker cabinet designed to look like furniture from 1950-1960. In other words, many compromises have been made that you can't change without new drivers and/or a new cabinet.

So let's see what you can do with what you have. The application notes suggests 60 l sealed or 70 l for bass reflex (ported) tuned to 33 Hz. The box is probably close enough to go either way which is good. Step 1 is measure the dimensions of the port and figure out the tuning of the cabinet. It is an 8" driver so thunderous bass isn't an option but you should be able to get something musical at modest listening levels (most everyone here is looking for the capability for induce permanent hearing loss so keep that in mind). Is the port sized correctly? If not, that needs to be addressed for better bass response.

The application notes also give frequency response curves with and without a really simple filter (one resistor and one inductor). Looks like the filter will flatten out the response and I don't see one in the photos. About $12 plus shipping will get you a pair of 1.5 mH inductors and 10 ohm resistors from Parts Express. Will that put you in audio heaven? Probably not but what can you expect for $20 in parts? At this point they will sound as good as it gets without completely starting over.

Good luck!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2167
Quote:
at a thrift store. I'm not into these for much $
The fabric on my columns came from a thrift store. I probably should have washed it (but I didn't! )

DavidK442 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page