AVS Forum banner

Sub Recommendations?

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Blue 
#1 ·
I'm building my first home theater that will be about 4000 cubic feet. A sketch is attached, and the ceiling is 11 feet in front and 10 in the back. I can't fit subs in the back unless I get really creative and try to put them under the table in the back. I don't think the wife will go for that. So I'm thinking I'll just have a pair of subs up front. What's my best approach? A pair of Martys? Other suggestions?

Attachments

#2 · (Edited)
Reactions: Blue
#3 ·
Have you considered an acoustically transparent screen? Or is that a tv on the front wall. You would have to omit the bar and bar seating and give the theater seats a scoot towards the rear of the room. That would give you room for a false wall 20 inches deep or so. Then you could stack subs and three identical LCR speakers behind the screen. That?s what I would do.

#5 ·
I'm building speaker niches. The backs of the niches will extend into the unfinished room adjacent to the screen, and I'll hang an AT screen in front of them. That's why my crude drawing shows the speakers on the outside of the front wall. I'm going to put three HTM-12s up front in the niches. I can't add subs behind the screen without a very expensive rework to add a huge beam and more support joists -- the front wall supports the kitchen above with lots of heavy stuff up there.

I have lots of room on the floor at the front of the room in front of the screen, so I can put some subs there.

#4 ·
What if I put granite on top of two mini-martys to make the counter in the back? The mini-martys are 40" high, so one on each end with granite spanning across them might make a nice counter. I could aim them into the back of the seats in front of the counter, leaving wood on all of the visible sides. Would this make the counter vibrate so much that it's a bad idea?

#9 ·
I had virtually nothing! This is my first dedicated home theater, which will be in a new house that is under construction. In my current house, I have a smaller (12") HSU sub in the corner of the living room, but I've used it maybe 10 times in 15 years because it shakes the floor and disturbs everyone else. I don't think I've powered up the sub at all in over 5 years. My in-laws live in the basement right under the family room, so even if the wife is gone, I can't crank it up without disturbing someone. My experience -- a sub sitting on ice for over a decade -- is what caused me to build a room within a room dedicated theater space in the new house.

I hadn't even thought about a 24". Is there a popular box to build for a 24" sub akin to the Marty options that are so well liked for 18" ones?

#11 ·
Honestly, I haven't heard any. By that, I don't mean I haven't heard any that I want to replicate. I mean I actually haven't heard any sub systems set up in a dedicated room. None of my friends has a dedicated theater. I've always wanted one.

#14 ·
Well, for the price ratio of ID sub companies vs diy, a good place to start is two full martys and an inuke 6000dsp. Use the Dayton ultimax 18 if you can wait for it. You can look up the cyclops 18 box, or the horizontal marty for options. Build what fits your space the best and you will have a great start. Two cyclops 18s, one left hand port and one opposite would be great.

#16 ·
Holy cow. I don't think I'm going to put 10 in there. I could put two up front and two along the one side though. I'm intrigued by the 24 inch subs now, but there's no way I would splurge for four of them. Two of the 24s or four of the 18s? It's hard to make these decisions!

I know I asked before, but is there a standard box design for 24s? I found one by Sibuna, but it looks pretty complicated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.