Audax 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just have to say--I built an Audax 7.1 setup and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!

Just bought the kits and built some boxes--about $50 of MDF and misc parts--anyone wanting any info I'd be happy to share.

Unfortunately, I haven't a lot of experience with other speakers--I do have one pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s. I haven't done a side by side except when I was building them... Still waiting for my amps to all show up to do a real comparison.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 03:14 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 729
I used the Audax for a 7.3

Kits and Boxes from Madisound.

I built two 10 inch "musical" subs that sit under the L/R and a 15 inch LFE all titantic from PE.

my only regret is that the sides are direct not dipoles. Maybe someone has addressed this.

I also custom designed in-ceiling rears with angled baffles to direct the sound toward the seating area of a room that is twice as long as the theater seating area.

Using the Outlaw electronics.

Very happy.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotoka
Just have to say--I built an Audax 7.1 setup and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!

Just bought the kits and built some boxes--about $50 of MDF and misc parts--anyone wanting any info I'd be happy to share.

Unfortunately, I haven't a lot of experience with other speakers--I do have one pair of Paradigm Monitor 7s. I haven't done a side by side except when I was building them... Still waiting for my amps to all show up to do a real comparison.

Mike

Hi mike, l had a audax 5.1 system that l made a couple of years ago with the areogel drivers etc.......sound really good.....did extra heavy boxes and the crossovers were premium qaulity as well.....excellent for ht .l did 4 mains ( 2 for the rears) and the centre.the centre ended up weighing nearly 30 kilos!.anyway best of luck l'm sure you'll get many yrs out of them..most of mine in our house fire and could'nt get them anymore over here.l now have seas speakers which are really good.....cheers ken
post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC

my only regret is that the sides are direct not dipoles. Maybe someone has addressed this.

Very happy.

I didn't know that diopoles were desierable with a 7.x setup...

I just remember asking someone who knows much more than I...
post #5 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC

I built two 10 inch "musical" subs that sit under the L/R and a 15 inch LFE all titantic from PE.

Very happy.

Not a bad idea on the subs--did you buy titanic kits or not--which amp did you use?

I got a great deal on an Earthquake Supernova MKIV... pretty happy with that for LFE

www.earthquakesound.com
post #6 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 729
For the PE subs I bought the packaged kits and the amps that PE had selected.

When I bought the 10's the boxes came without amp cut outs. I built a couple of ventilated boxes and mounted them on the wall of my equipment cabinet.

The 15 came already cut so I slipped the amp in, but even though it's behind a removable panel under the screen it's not quite as accessible.

For the L/R stack I built sand filled boxes that the 10s sit on then a rubber pad then the l/Rs. All of this on a sand filled stage.

As for the direct versus dipoles on the side speakers of 7.1 from what I read the direct is preferred for musical content, the dipoles for movies. Some where there is an article of an "expert panel" that did some blind listening tests and that's how they voted, but it was not unanimous.
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page