DIY Gallery - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hot sugary damn, Ventoso, that's beautiful. Very, very nice job!

"Measure twice, then measure again. Only then should you even THINK about cutting."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

If you don't mind sharing, what did this build run you, and how long? I am in the process of replacing my setup (the towers shown are part of the new equation, just awaiting for the center and the surround to arrive. Also ordered a cc stand from soundanchors), and the subs will be the last thing to come.

I think the essential "fun" parts like the Maelstrom driver, passive radiators, and the now dead ep2500 amp came in somewhere around $800. The raw enclosure including glue, screws, primer and paint probably tallied in at a little over a hundred bucks, and then the final details like the custom cut glass top and exotic wood trim really bulked up the price. There's about $200 worth of blood wood dressing the box, and the glass top was another $320.

I'd guesstimate a happy $1500 to finish it exactly like that, with an honest build time of 2 months if you don't include waiting on parts. So for the same money this sits squarely in SVS PB13-Ultra territory... you be the judge of what's better bang for your buck.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Wow Ventoso! I know from reading here that DIY offers more value, and better overall performance, but to that extent.

Have you taken any measurements?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Wow Ventoso! I know from reading here that DIY offers more value, and better overall performance, but to that extent.

Have you taken any measurements?

Are you talking about the overall performance as compared to the SVS PB-13 Ultra?

Lets compare:

-SVS uses a high excursion 13" driver in a ported enclosure.
-Ventoso uses a very high excursion 18" driver with 2 18" passive radiators.

-SVS uses a high quality 750 plate amp.
-Ventoso is using an amp that puts out an honest 2000 watts and has it's own cooling system (although I will admit he should switch over to a more reliable brand like QSC)

SVS makes very high quality subs and there customer service when I owned a pair of CS-Ultra's was amazing. The JL Audio Fathom F113 which I also owned is even better just without as much SPL down low as the SVS.
With that said I would never own another commercial sub again as results from a competent DIY'er like what Ventoso came up with are amazing and have to be heard.

SVS was started by DIY'ers as I remember reading an article by one of them on the DIY sub they made before starting SVS. In fact the pair of SVS-Ultra's I had came with a Samson S-1000 before SVS started having there own amps made.

I made a sub for my brother which replaced a HSU sub and an older Kinergetics Research THX 15" sub and just the one sub kills the HSU/Kinergetics pair.

A fantastic sub like Ventoso made would be incredibly expensive to manufacture and ship. Only custom company's like CAT do that but they charge some serious $$$.

Once you go DIY I don't think you will ever go back to commercial

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM

The only practical measuring I have done was prior to construction, in-room, with my 15" Rythmik subwoofer as a guinea pig. This was to ensure that the final resting position would yield a desirable bass response, which was more or less a precaution I had to take due to the size and unfriendliness of my Maelstrom cabinet when it comes to placement. Let's face it; something that big and heavy just isn't pleasant or appealing in all but a few select scenarios.

Here's a snippet from the sim I did when modeling the sub:

Only noteworthy piece of info is that the driver would never hit xmax on a 17hz tune with 1500 watts, but the PR's (as shown) would definitely start to get stressed around 15.6hz.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Are you talking about the overall performance as compared to the SVS PB-13 Ultra?

Lets compare:

-Ventoso is using an amp that puts out an honest 2000 watts and has it's own cooling system (although I will admit he should switch over to a more reliable brand like QSC)

SVS makes very high quality subs and there customer service when I owned a pair of CS-Ultra's was amazing. The JL Audio Fathom F113 which I also owned is even better just without as much SPL down low as the SVS.
With that said I would never own another commercial sub again as results from a competent DIY'er like what Ventoso came up with are amazing and have to be heard.

SVS was started by DIY'ers as I remember reading an article by one of them on the DIY sub they made before starting SVS. In fact the pair of SVS-Ultra's I had came with a Samson S-1000 before SVS started having there own amps made.

I made a sub for my brother which replaced a HSU sub and an older Kinergetics Research THX 15" sub and just the one sub kills the HSU/Kinergetics pair.

A fantastic sub like Ventoso made would be incredibly expensive to manufacture and ship. Only custom company's like CAT do that but they charge some serious $$$.

That is exactly what I am saying. The same way people tout the superioroty of ID subs over mainstreamed in terms of value, everything I have read points to DIY trumping them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoso View Post

The only practical measuring I have done was prior to construction, in-room, with my 15" Rythmik subwoofer as a guinea pig. This was to ensure that the final resting position would yield a desirable bass response, which was more or less a precaution I had to take due to the size and unfriendliness of my Maelstrom cabinet when it comes to placement. Let's face it; something that big and heavy just isn't pleasant or appealing in all but a few select scenarios.

Here's a snippet from the sim I did when modeling the sub:

Only noteworthy piece of info is that the driver would never hit xmax on a 17hz tune with 1500 watts, but the PR's (as shown) would definitely start to get stressed around 15.6hz.

Ah, do you plan on taking any in room measurements with the Maelstroms? It would be interesting to see how they performed from a data standpoint.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Twin PR'd Maelstrom-X -- all front firing. It's running off of a PE amp right now and re-tuned to 18hz, but before my EP2500 decided to spooge itself to death trying to hit a low note, the sub was utterly venerable with a much lower tune.

I really did the sub for two reasons:

1) Visual statement; I hate cubes
2) When I was first toying with the idea, NeoDan coined it the "rodeo sub." Well I am both happy and displeased to say that I can't recoup any of my investment by offering rides at reference playback levels because it seems a bit stubborn to move

But I did learn that a good and heavy, well made enclosure with even fully loaded passives won't crap the bed and fall over.

Primarily MDF construction, all the wood trim is of natural color (it's tung oiled Bloodwood), top is .375" gray glass.

w/o grilles or top:

When I first started to kick ideas, that is the exact design I was going with but twice as high- 2 drivers and 4 passives per cab. It looks fantastic. Very nicely done.

Good luck,

Robert
Old 03-22-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ventoso~I just spent several hours perusing this thread and I must say that your work looks spot on! I’m sure many upcoming builds will be referencing your design as a benchmark.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Lets compare:

That is very true. I can't imagine buying a commercial sub now.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
Here's my subs, two 35cft boxes each one with two RLp15" power by a EP2500 and a BFD, tune to 11Hz, port 10" x 35" pvc.

Calmconfused likes this.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 AM

Heres a picture of my first attempt at a DIY home sub. The link for my build thread with more pictures is in my signature.

3.5 ft^3 box with 26 hz tune. MTX 5512-04 woofer powered by Behringer ep2500.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodny Alvarez View Post

Here's my subs, two 35cft boxes each one with two RLp15" power by a EP2500 and a BFD, tune to 11Hz, port 10" x 35" pvc.

Would you care to elaborate on how you made the beauty rings/trim for the drivers and how you did the perimeter lighting?

I am always up for trying new and interesting stuff that has a sleek professional look to it.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Would you care to elaborate on how you made the beauty rings/trim for the drivers and how you did the perimeter lighting?

I am always up for trying new and interesting stuff that has a sleek professional look to it.

This started as a IB and made it into a SLLT, here are the links to the build, you can see step by step.......................

http://www.****************.com/foru...ilding-ib.html

http://www.****************.com/foru...-makeover.html
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Liked: 15
Rodny, awesome. What was total cost on the project ?

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
where can i get some of that foam on the wall in the above pic ?

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutz88 View Post

Rodny, awesome. What was total cost on the project ?

Subs $1250 (Sound splinter RLp-15's)
Amp $250 (EP2500)
EQ $80 (BFD)
Paint $100
Plexi $100
Neon $85
Wood $150

Total $2015
Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post

where can i get some of that foam on the wall in the above pic ?

I got mine from guitar center!

Auralex
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Rodny, that build is stunning! Great job!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Rodny, great use of the space, and the workmanship is top-notch! You should be proud of that, and I imagine the sound quality is first rate.

Your links are not working from the post just above.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Rodny, great use of the space, and the workmanship is top-notch! You should be proud of that, and I imagine the sound quality is first rate.

Your links are not working from the post just above.

Thanks!!

I tried to change the links but it wont let me, just go to the HTS under soundsplinter and you find my set up there.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:34 AM

Hey guys. Been lurking around here for years. Maybe i post a finial Pic of my current project. These a prototypes for a mates company. I really dont want them to take them away. At the momenet they are only 2.5 hours new from their first play

I have to admit.. A few tweeks are required

Old 05-15-2009, 02:45 AM

And i just noticed the damn Sanding hooks. Looks like im onto taping them off and hand sanding them. GRRRRR!!!!..
Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My second pair of speakers. First pair were a small set of bookshelf. I went a little bigger this time. The last photo shows the DIY speakers next to my Paradigm Monitor 7's.

Specs:
Dual 4" Titanium midrange
Dual Dayton 8" Reference Woofer
Fountek 3" Ribbon Tweeter
100 liter ported enclosure with an open back/transmission line design for the midrange
http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/Statements.html

Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Very nice work deewan!

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you like them Deewan? Very nice!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

How do you like them Deewan? Very nice!

I love them. The first full range speaker I have owned which I consider full range. Even with most movies there is no need for a sub. I still have two though just in case. The ribbon tweeter is a unique sound. I have really come to like it. They make great recordings sound AMAZING and good recordings sound very good. With these speakers it is the first time I remember turning down some of my reference material because the pure sound was just to much. No hint of strain or distortion.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post

I love them. The first full range speaker I have owned which I consider full range. Even with most movies there is no need for a sub. I still have two though just in case. The ribbon tweeter is a unique sound. I have really come to like it. They make great recordings sound AMAZING and good recordings sound very good. With these speakers it is the first time I remember turning down some of my reference material because the pure sound was just to much. No hint of strain or distortion.

So how would you rate them next to the Paradigms?

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
NHT VR-3 kit

3-way TD12S, PHL1120, Neopro5i (curved MDF project)

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

So how would you rate them next to the Paradigms?

I still consider the Paradims are GREAT value. For the money, I don't know if you could find a better commercial speaker. That being said, for around $300 more and my own time, the Statements blow the Paradigms out of the water. Better low end. Cleaner and tighter bass. Midrange that makes live music sound LIVE. And the highs are so clear, it makes me wonder why I didn't build speakers sooner.

I am very glad I upgraded from the Paradigms. But I will always be thankful for having the Paradigms.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
update for me. i got em done = i think/hope.
LL
LL

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member