AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

frontfiring or downfiring for sealed???

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  crackyflipside 
#1 ·
#2 ·
A bit tongue in check ---- downfiring is better for less intermod (doppler) distortion. ;)

Another factor is that the cone is safely out of the way --- from tots.

More serious is that all subs will eventually sag so some opine that not down/up firing is better for longevity. And gravity takes the center of the voice coil out of its most optimum neutral position, thereby sacrificing some Xmax (which can make it more subject to distortion at max power/SPL levels).

#3 ·
FWIW, I did the calculations to figure a driver's suitability to vertical mounting for the TC sounds drivers the Rythmik kit uses, and they were WELL within the acceptable "sag" limit. Can't remember the exact amount, but it was at LEAST 1/4 the "acceptable limit.

#4 ·
as noted, their may be some miniscule drawbacks to down-firing but i think it's more a matter of aesthetics. The subwoofer operates over such a limited range (especially depending on the x-over point and slope) that doppler/IM distortion, though real, is almost negligible in the real world. Personally, i've always been fascinated with watching the driver push and pull. ;)

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramskoi
as noted, their may be some miniscule drawbacks to down-firing but i think it's more a matter of aesthetics. The subwoofer operates over such a limited range (especially depending on the x-over point and slope) that doppler/IM distortion, though real, is almost negligible in the real world. Personally, i've always been fascinated with watching the driver push and pull. ;)
So very true. I see myself going the front firing route for aesthetics also, but I also cant stand seeing those cloth grills covering up the perrty drivers. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.