SonoSub End Cap? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Doc Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For all that have built a SonoSub. I'm planning on making my end caps tonight. How big did you cut them?

My tube is 24in. but is out of round so it's very hard to tell how big it really is. The tube is 1/4in thick so should I cut my inside cap to just a hair over 23 1/2in? I would like to keep it over so it's a tight fit.
Doc Holiday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chasw98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used a 20 inch tube and had to make several test pieces to get it to fit just right inside the tube. Practice on scrap wood. For the outer cap I made mine 2 inches larger than the radius for a total diameter of 24 inches.

Chuck
chasw98 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rlj5242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 3,282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Measure the circumference of the outside of the tube, find the radius and then subtract the thickness of the tube wall. Double that to get the size of the inside end-cap.

-Robert
rlj5242 is online now  
post #4 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Ben M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finiished two 24" sonosubs and on both I made the plug 24 inches with a plunge router. They fit very flush, but do go in. I cut the outer caps 26 inches and I like the look. If you sand the outer edge of the inner cap so it's a bit rounded it allows the cap to go in easier and also gives you a place to put the caulking once it's in.
Ben M. is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Doc Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242
Measure the circumference of the outside of the tube, find the radius and then subtract the thickness of the tube wall. Double that to get the size of the inside end-cap.

-Robert
What do you think I remember college/high school? I think that was in some math class I took. :)
Doc Holiday is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-28-2006, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,844
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Take more than one measurement of the ID - try it at a few different spots. Get an average, then add about 1/8". Now slowly route or power sand until it just BARELY fits in - you should have to force it. Make sure to use tape around the tube edges as was brought up before. For the outercaps, I would agree that something ~26-27" with a bull nose round will look good.
SteveCallas is online now  
post #7 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
If you start with the end caps being slightly (like 1/8") larger in diameter then the tube, then trim away material until it just barely fits in, then force it in place, you will have an air tight seal that is very strong. If you were going sealed, then you might want to take a few extra precautions, but my seals are very tight (air tight) using nothing. I put the bottom cap in first and then caulked the seem where the MDF meets the tube on the inside just to be extra safe. The top cap is just forced into place.
Sorry Steve, i took this from jonny's thread & posted it here, but i believe i'm going the SonoSub route & maybe asking for a little help in the intrim. could i use just one 3/4 inch piece of MDF instead of 2 ( 1 slightly larger/smaller in diameter ) glued together as i've seen in most sonosub builds?

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #8 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rlj5242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 3,282
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday
What do you think I remember college/high school? I think that was in some math class I took. :)
Radius=Circumference/2Pi. Subtract the thickness of the tube wall from the radius. Double that to find the diameter of the inner end-cap.

-Robert
rlj5242 is online now  
post #9 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Doc Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242
Radius=Circumference/2Pi. Subtract the thickness of the tube wall from the radius. Double that to find the diameter of the inner end-cap.

-Robert
What's Pi? ;)
Doc Holiday is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chasw98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon Donique
Sorry Steve, i took this from jonny's thread & posted it here, but i believe i'm going the SonoSub route & maybe asking for a little help in the intrim. could i use just one 3/4 inch piece of MDF instead of 2 ( 1 slightly larger/smaller in diameter ) glued together as i've seen in most sonosub builds?
Vashon:
You could use a single piece of 3/4" MDF but it has never been advised by anyone I have ever seen that knows what they are doing. You could probably do it for the top end plate, but for the bottom where the driver sits you want a very rigid, massive, dense platform to seat that driver in. Remember it is going to be trying to push itself out of the tube with all the force it can muster, plus you want a good air tight seal where the driver meets the wood, and finally, you want a good solid surface to bolt the driver into. I used 2 3/4" MDF on mine plus 1/2" plywood just so the t nuts would grip the woold. I believe Steve used more than that for his 18".

Also, after reading jonny's post, have you looked at the RL-p15 from Soundsplinter for your driver?

Chuck
chasw98 is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ah...i see. very good info;) Chuck. so i will have a lip at both ends......darn, i was hoping for a flush look in the design:rolleyes:

1 4x8 sheet of MDF should be enough for 2 sonosubs @ 16"-48" each i hope.

i have looked at the SS drivers as well as TC Sounds, but size and mula are a factor right now (because new home is pretty now since remodel).

i'm leaning towards 12": AA Assassins/Dayton DVC/Dayton RS-HF

any thoughts???

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #12 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chasw98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon Donique
Ah...i see. very good info;) Chuck. so i will have a lip at both ends......darn, i was hoping for a flush look in the design:rolleyes:

1 4x8 sheet of MDF should be enough for 2 sonosubs @ 16"-48" each i hope.

i have looked at the SS drivers as well as TC Sounds, but size and mula are a factor right now (because new home is pretty now since remodel).

i'm leaning towards 12": AA Assassins/Dayton DVC/Dayton RS-HF

any thoughts???
There is no problem doing a flush design. I started out with one 3/4" piece of MDF routed to fit the inside of the tube and then made the 2nd piece exactly the diameter of the outside of the tube. 3/4" MDF showed at the top and bottom, but I decided I didn't like the look and made new end caps. Or you could cut 2 pieces that fit inside the tube.
One 4X8 sheet will work well with some to practice on also. If you go to HD to buy it, find a piece with mucked up edges and they will usually give it to you for $5 to $10 because they can't sell it to people that want straight edges and they end up throwing it away! I only paid $5 for a sheet at the HD near me!
chasw98 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Ben M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to hear a review of those Assassins in a HT sub. $75 for a 12" driver is an excellent price if they are the usual AA quality.
Ben M. is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasw98
There is no problem doing a flush design. I started out with one 3/4" piece of MDF routed to fit the inside of the tube and then made the 2nd piece exactly the diameter of the outside of the tube. 3/4" MDF showed at the top and bottom, but I decided I didn't like the look and made new end caps. Or you could cut 2 pieces that fit inside the tube.
One 4X8 sheet will work well with some to practice on also. If you go to HD to buy it, find a piece with mucked up edges and they will usually give it to you for $5 to $10 because they can't sell it to people that want straight edges and they end up throwing it away! I only paid $5 for a sheet at the HD near me!

nice.....

that's a great deal, maybe when i go to HD, i'll accidently drop a piece while no one's lookin' while trying to put it on the cart :p j/k

Steve stated in jonny's thread that threaded rods aren't needed, but you also didn't need glue, if i did use threaded rods, maybe using all gold hardware on black, should i still glue or caulk the seems on the inside???

& yeah Ben, $75 beaners for the Assassins seems like they can't be beat, but that only last for another 2 weeks & Chad's uping them to $95.

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #15 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chasw98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Vashon:
You don't need to do that (drop the sheet). Usually the first 1 or 2 pieces on the top or bottom that come in on the truck have the bands around them from shipping and are torn up on the edges where the bands are. Pick those pieces and ask for a deal. :D
chasw98 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kingdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon Donique
nice.....

that's a great deal, maybe when i go to HD, i'll accidently drop a piece while no one's lookin' while trying to put it on the cart :p j/k

Steve stated in jonny's thread that threaded rods aren't needed, but you also didn't need glue, if i did use threaded rods, maybe using all gold hardware on black, should i still glue or caulk the seems on the inside???

& yeah Ben, $75 beaners for the Assassins seems like they can't be beat, but that only last for another 2 weeks & Chad's uping them to $95.
Those who aren’t using threaded rods to sandwich the caps together are making tubes with smaller lighter drivers usually, IMO, overkill is mandatory in DIY designs and I would never build a wimpy box or tube even if I could get away with it. There are some construction details on my home page link listed that show a good example of a overdone Sonosub. BTW, one of them is for sell as well.

http://kingdaddy.linaeum.com/Sonosub/
Kingdaddy is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
thanks Mike,

everytime i see your work, i'm in awe. the time you must spend on every little detail. you could make boo-koo bucks from what you do. amazin'.

that's why i brought up the issue, because Chad & Steve are using enormo drivers and i'm just using a 12. i initially wanted to counter sink 1.12" decking screws into the plates from the sides after i use Gorilla glue on the edges & seems once i flush mounted the top/bottom plates in the tubes, then cover the tubes with jet black carpet.

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #18 of 24 Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SteveCallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6,844
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here is a bottom cap done right I hope he doesn't mind, but it's Jon's bottom cap for his replica of my Avalanche sonosub. The piece of MDF on bottom is NOT the base plate, it's just a scrap piece.
SteveCallas is online now  
post #19 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY.

how's Dr.Jon doing these days Steve? that is one hefty plate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon Donique
I initially wanted to counter sink 1.12" decking screws into the plates from the sides AFTER I tape the tube edges and use Gorilla glue on the edges & seams BEFORE I flush mount the top/bottom plates in the tubes, then cover the tubes with jet black carpet.
Does anyone have any objections to this???........or would it be a bad idea. I'm not sure, but it seems the SV's use this method, I could be wrong :o

http://64.34.180.159/pics2/i/2005112...bb30b0c158bbb0

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #20 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Ben M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I initially wanted to counter sink 1.12" decking screws into the plates from the sides AFTER I tape the tube edges and use Gorilla glue on the edges & seams BEFORE I flush mount the top/bottom plates in the tubes, then cover the tubes with jet black carpet
Wow... that bottom plate might just withstand a low yield nuclear explosion. :eek:

Liquid nails + 4 brad nails in the sides worked just fine for me. I've picked mine up by both top and botom caps and that's with a 60+ pound Tumult in the bottom and they haven't moved.
Ben M. is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kingdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roofing tar compound works well to seal the inside seams.

http://www.apoc.com/Gardner-5-02/ga-leakstopper.htm
Kingdaddy is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neuropolis, Brainland
Posts: 1,011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdaddy
Roofing tar compound works well to seal the inside seams.

http://www.apoc.com/Gardner-5-02/ga-leakstopper.htm

YES! Mike. that's what my buddy(roofing contractor) told me to use for good seals or titebond II, and he has tubes of the stuff. i was gonna ask you if that was roofing compound inside yours.

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #23 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kingdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon Donique
YES! Mike. that's what my buddy(roofing contractor) told me to use for good seals or titebond II, and he has tubes of the stuff. i was gonna ask you if that was roofing compound inside yours.
Yes, that’s what I use in all my speakers now, its very dense and heavy so it adds much dampening as well. It does take a few days to cure though and is quite messy during application but it sticks like glue and you will be sure to have no air leaks, it also makes applying the poly batting easier as the batting will stick to the tar and stay in place which keeps it from falling into the port opening area. Do the knuckle test on the enclosure before and after the application of this, big difference.
:)
Kingdaddy is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chasw98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
Here is a bottom cap done right :D I hope he doesn't mind, but it's Jon's bottom cap for his replica of my Avalanche sonosub. The piece of MDF on bottom is NOT the base plate, it's just a scrap piece.
Steve:
You're not done yet. Better hit those t nuts with some epoxy!
chasw98 is offline  
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off