Limited space in RV - DIY powered sub make any sense? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Our RV has a 5.1 surround sound system in it which utilizes a small (I think about 4.5") passive sub recessed in the ceiling. Needless to say, this system is starved for bass.

I'd really like to replace the sub with a powered one on the floor, but about the only place I could put one is in a cabinet that has only 13" of vertical clearance. Also, the maximum width is about 8" and the maximum available depth is about 15". I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a decent sub that would fit into those size restrictions, so I'm toying with the idea of making one myself.

I've never built a speaker or sub before or even considered it, but it might make sense to give it a shot when the final appearance is a non-issue and improving on the sound shouldn't be too difficult. The challenge is that I have no idea what goes into making a powered sub or the principles to follow for good sound.

I've noted the Parts Express catalog seems to have a fair amount of do-it-yourself sub stuff. Would it make sense for me to even try to build my own sub? What price range would I be looking at?

Where should I start?

Thanks!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Try posting in the PartsExpress forum. There was talk over there a few months ago about a line of small TangBand subs. 6.5" I think they were. They might be what you are looking for.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yeah, two of the Tang Band 6.5" subs would definitely put some thump in that space. The problem you would run into is getting a port in that space. The TB6.5's don't do well in a sealed enclosure. Give us some more details of your space.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
With a 13"x 8" baffle clearance, i thinks he will have to default to one TB with a forward firing port.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM

I think this 6.5" driver is going to be available very soon. Lower Fs, more excursion, smaller enclosure requirements. MUUUCH better than the TB sub driver but a little on the pricey side. Just give them a call and get amp / enclosure recommendation if you are not comfortable designing the sub yourself.

Mpyre audio driver, 6.5" subwoofer, at acoustic-visions

Allan
Old 06-26-2006, 09:40 AM

Could you make that cabinet into the sub? I do not know what it is constructed out of, but maybe it is possible to install a Dayton 8 inch driver (like 295-100)? With a cabinet vol of .9 cubic foot, a 3 inch port 6.3 inches long would work using that driver. Then hide your sub amp some where near by.

Love all worship One

CMA member since 2007
Mechanics Ministry Member since 2007
Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Unless your RV is constructed more solidly than most, I would not use the existing cabinet as an enclosure. You will rattle your dishes, and your cabinets. You pretty much have to make an enclosure and hide it in a cabinet - unless you like the sound of things rattling. But you probably already knew that.

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd
Unless your RV is constructed more solidly than most, I would not use the existing cabinet as an enclosure. You will rattle your dishes, and your cabinets. You pretty much have to make an enclosure and hide it in a cabinet - unless you like the sound of things rattling. But you probably already knew that.
Yea, after remembering what the inside of an RV looks like, and the materials they are made out of, I'd have to agree you're right.

Love all worship One

CMA member since 2007
Mechanics Ministry Member since 2007