Sonosub + RL-p15 - Design confirmation - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most excellent subs, of course! Hopefully you can enjoy them now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post

(The "cannon-position" is when the sub is gently laid across a whold package of Rockwool with one end higher than the other, so that I can work on it. It's the only way to handle the beast singlehandedly...)

Don't forget the "sonosub turnover", where you flip the sub upside down and let it rest on the top cap, then climb a chair and do what you need to do to the bottom
post #393 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 03:10 PM

Fantastic rune, i know this was relief, looks awesome. I am sure you will be the king at that annual event yall have .

BR
post #394 of 401 Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Good looking tubes, Rune. And very well finished work.

Now that the sonos are finished, I need to ask you a completely off-topic question: What's with the Norwegians eating dip sauces and mayonnaise with their pizza? I was visiting northern Norway, i.e. Tromso, Harstad, Lofoten, in November and at Peppe's Pizza, every local ordered dip/mayo/etc with their pizzas...
post #395 of 401 Old 03-25-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir38 View Post

Fantastic rune, i know this was relief, looks awesome. I am sure you will be the king at that annual event yall have .

Yeah, maybe ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

Don't forget the "sonosub turnover", where you flip the sub upside down and let it rest on the top cap, then climb a chair and do what you need to do to the bottom

Yes, I've been doing that one as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr-t View Post

Good looking tubes, Rune. And very well finished work.

Now that the sonos are finished, I need to ask you a completely off-topic question: What's with the Norwegians eating dip sauces and mayonnaise with their pizza? I was visiting northern Norway, i.e. Tromso, Harstad, Lofoten, in November and at Peppe's Pizza, every local ordered dip/mayo/etc with their pizzas...

Hehe - mayonnaise? Are you sure about that? Must be something they do up north then... Where I live we sometimes (ok, quite often) use a whitish garlic sauce with the pizza.

But that's only details. Don't you rather want to know why so many Norwegians eat "smalahovud" (sheeps head)? I surely want to know... I guess every country has at least one speciality that only exist because some stupid people have to prove htemselves...

My sonosub project pictures all in one place (PS! Norwegian text!)
post #396 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 01:37 PM

Liked: 11
Congratulations Rune! Of course they look great, what with that Norwegian craftsmanship, attention to detail and all Five months is okay, you built them in style and didn't rush the job even with all the pressure from the guys with a need for speed.

Hope you get to enjoy them for sound now. When is the big hifi weekend with the boys? Didn't you say it was in April? Of course this thread will have to stay alive for a full report and pics from the big event. Keep us informed.

Sincerely,
Craig

Remember... no matter where you go, there you are.
post #397 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo87 View Post

Congratulations Rune! Of course they look great, what with that Norwegian craftsmanship, attention to detail and all Five months is okay, you built them in style and didn't rush the job even with all the pressure from the guys with a need for speed.

Hope you get to enjoy them for sound now. When is the big hifi weekend with the boys? Didn't you say it was in April? Of course this thread will have to stay alive for a full report and pics from the big event. Keep us informed.

Sincerely,
Craig

Thanks, Craig!

The big day is april 28th, but the plan is to do a "dry run" with only the subs and a pair of PA speakers this sunday. We're also going to do some outdoor measurements of the subs (well, probably one of them anyway). I don't have very advanced measurement equipment, and I'm not entirely comfortable with REW yet, but the big plan is to do a few ground plane measurements of the sub, both standing and lying. Maybe also som near field measurements of the port and driver (also with the sub lying down).

If the results aren't totally hopeless, you'll probably find them here sometime over the weekend

post #398 of 401 Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got to measure my subs outdoors. Too bad I was haunted by some kind of feedback issue with the SPL meter - REW setup. I'm pretty sure I didn't have this problem when I did my initial measurements at home, but I first noticed this feedback tendencies at a friends house when doing some REW'ing there. I'm not sure if there's some kind of "monitor" feature that has suddenly being turned on on the soundcard, or if it's broken or something... Anyway, we had to do some of the testing at fairly low volumes. This is, of course, not very good combined with the inevitable outdoor background noise. Our greatest problem was birds...

I'm not sure how much this feedback thing affects the measurements itself. They could be utterly worthless for all I know.... I just have to do it again with properly setup equipment I guess, but meanwhile I can entertain you with the following.

Just remember to take these measurements for what they are: Amateurish crap.
(A few truckloads of salt is also recommended)

---

Here's some pictures of the session.

The sub in the standing position:

The sub in the lying position:

(as you all can see, the SPL meter is a few centimeters from the ground level. I'm not sure how much this influences the measurements...)

During the indoor testing, we noticed a noise during large driver movements. We were fearing the worst, but the sub sounded pure again when it was turned upside down. I hope to God it's only something loose in there. Here's HiFi-plumber trying to see it, but he didn't... I'll have to take it apart to check it:

Well, that noise effectively ended out indoor measurements, so I'll just show the outdoor measurements:

Near-field driver:

"Ground-level" 2 meters from the sub [standing]:

"Ground-level" 2 meters from the sub [lying]:

(Soundking PA amp)

"Ground-level" 2 meters from the sub [lying]:

(Ramsa PA amp)

I'm not sure how to interpret these measurements. I'm going to EQ the subs, so I'm not too worried about peaks. Seems like I've got one fairly broad peak centered around 30Hz or so. Then again, this peak is almost non-existent when I switched to the (lower powered, but higher quality) Ramsa amp. This last measurement is at quite low levels. I don't remember why here and now, but it may have been the (/&¤&%¤/% feeedback issue again.

I'll leave it up to you guys to interpret these measures...

---

As for the indoor measurements.... well, I guess the subs delivered less than expected. Lots of driver movement and less noise is a very short description of what happened. That said, the room is quite big. We're talking close to 20.000 cubic feet here with an opening to an adjacent room of about 8000 cubic feet. It's a difficult room, but I was hoping for a little more that I got...

Well... they should be able to fill my HT at least...

post #399 of 401 Old 04-02-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

You know what, you're probably right about the monitor feature producing the feedback. When I went to test my TC-2K up to 500Hz, I decided to hook my computer directly up to the Buttkicker amp. Well for my first attempt, I had the same issues you had with bad feedback (which as you say, is not bad at low levels).

I gave up out of frustration..but sure enough, when I tried it a second time I remembered that there was monitor option in the soundcard control panel. That obviously fixed the problem...

Ilkka and some other folks more experienced with such measurements could offer a lot of advice, but I think it would indeed be much better to take measurements at higher spl (at least using the RS meter)...like, 85ish. That peak you see in one of the measurements must be due to the amp, because in any type of GP measurement, it most certainly shouldn't exist.

And 20,000 cubic feet! Whoa....yeah, these subs are not one I would build for a massive room like that (I know it isn't the room they'll be in for good...). In a room like that, horns wouldn't be a bad idea, but at the very least, even the TC-2Ks tuned to 19 or 20Hz with more power would be more ideal.
post #400 of 401 Old 04-02-2007, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

You know what, you're probably right about the monitor feature producing the feedback. When I went to test my TC-2K up to 500Hz, I decided to hook my computer directly up to the Buttkicker amp. Well for my first attempt, I had the same issues you had with bad feedback (which as you say, is not bad at low levels).

I gave up out of frustration..but sure enough, when I tried it a second time I remembered that there was monitor option in the soundcard control panel. That obviously fixed the problem...

Ilkka and some other folks more experienced with such measurements could offer a lot of advice, but I think it would indeed be much better to take measurements at higher spl (at least using the RS meter)...like, 85ish. That peak you see in one of the measurements must be due to the amp, because in any type of GP measurement, it most certainly shouldn't exist.

And 20,000 cubic feet! Whoa....yeah, these subs are not one I would build for a massive room like that (I know it isn't the room they'll be in for good...). In a room like that, horns wouldn't be a bad idea, but at the very least, even the TC-2Ks tuned to 19 or 20Hz with more power would be more ideal.

Yeah, I guess we don't get much help from this room...

I think, I'll use Erna 1&2 in addition to Erna 4&5 (the tubes), so they don't have to do all that work alone...

As for the soundcard, the problem is that I cannot find any control panel installed (and I don't have the original driver CD that came with the card)...

post #401 of 401 Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Liked: 11
Wonder how Rune's big day went

Craigo

Remember... no matter where you go, there you are.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page