DIY Audio Test DVD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 300 Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Darin, I'm not familiar with the usage of warble tones. Care to give a primmer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 300 Old 11-01-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't even remember what program I used to generate them. It's NOT NCH, because I just looked there. But basically you set a bottom frequency, an upper frequency, and a sweep rate, and it sweeps up and down between those too points at the rate you specify. Hmmmm, now that I think about it, I don't think I found a free program that could generate them, so I think I may have done them manually... a sweep down, a sweep up, insert one to the end of the other, then cut/paste it onto itself repeatedly. I dunno now, but I sure seem to have some vague memory of doing that.

Anyway, if you want to at least hear some, you can download the ones I generated here. They are MP3s, which may not be as "pure" as you're looking for, but at least you can play with them. I probably have the unadulterated wavs somewhere.

The tracks with the "-" in between two numbers are the warbles... the bottom number being the bottom frequency, and the upper one the top frequency. Looks like they span 1/4 octave (it's been a while since I did these). When taking measurements using single frequency tones, I used 1/12th octave spaced tones (also in that zip). But I also wanted to take some full spectrum measurements, and 1/12th oct tones would have taken forever. Using the 1/4 octave warbles go a lot faster, but since they are sweeps, they cover "every" frequency.

(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #33 of 300 Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I get it.
I checked them out. They are fine looking waves, no distortion at all. These are cut and pasted tracks. What spacing would you suggest for the disk?

About the "pure" thing.
MP3'ed sine waves are fine. The problem is a lot of the available digital sine generators don't factor in enough points and create a stepped wave. I find the added harmonics distracting, and anoying. They sound like some one running sine waves though a TR-808 or something.

I chose the generator I have becouse it produces almost perfect analog wave forms, but it only sweeps to 10hz. Actually the program isn't really a sine generator, but with a big enough hammer... I want everything on the disk to be of the same quality and tone. I don't want one sweep to be perfectly smooth and the next to sound like something from a trip hop track.

Everyone has there own idiosyncrasies.

post #34 of 300 Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soho54 View Post

What spacing would you suggest for the disk?

Generally I try to get the tracks as short as possible to reduce the heat and stress on the drivers when testing at high levels... just long enough to get a good reading, which also helps to make the whole process go quickly (so the previously mentioned 10 sec preferences are a bit long for my taste ). As far as spacing, I just make the pauses just long enough to be able to write down the reading... I think I've used three seconds in the past.

(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #35 of 300 Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

(so the previously mentioned 10 sec preferences are a bit long for my taste )

I wanted 3sec, but said 5sec and everyone still wanted 10sec. Where were you? Also all I have is single tone tracks. None of that hurry up right it down, crap I missed one stuff.

As for pause time, I meant it more like how large of an octave span should each warble cover. 1/4 or 1/3 may work here.

post #36 of 300 Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

SteveCallas, these 5.1 clips seem to be a .wav rip from a digital output jack. The horror. From what I can tell they only work while playing in a DVD player hooked up to a receiver, with the appropriate decoder onboard, through a digital connection(toslink/coax) correct?

They are legitimate DD and DTS tracks, so they will only work on a system that is able to decode a DD or DTS stream. If tried to be read as PCM, it will probably be screeching noises.

Quote:

I can't find the tennis one.

I think it's the one called Pontus Enhorning Presents.

post #37 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never meant to imply they were not DD and DTS tracks. Just that they are not the actual ac3 dts tracks unprotected. They are the bit stream recorded from the digital out from a dvd player/computer. Put it in a wav editor and check it out. Audio 1's and 0's.

When you put it in your DVD player/computer it plays it as a PCM wave, and you have to output the stream over a digital connection. When the receiver receives the signal it sees it as a DD or DTS bit stream and decodes it as such.

These will not play through the DVD player/computer's 5.1 analog or RCA outs. This is all I was getting at. I checked it out later on last night.

This is why there will be no hi-quality soundtrack allowed over the non-secure digital outs with the new formats. Way to easy to circumvent and make perfect bit for bit copies, and anyone can do it.

The "horror" bit was an MPAA joke, didn't pan out I guess.

post #38 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

They are the bit stream recorded from the digital out from a dvd player/computer. Put it in a wav editor and check it out. Audio 1's and 0's.

When you put it in your DVD player/computer it plays it as a PCM wave, and you have to output the stream over a digital connection. When the receiver receives the signal it sees it as a DD or DTS bit stream and decodes it as such.

Ok, I gotcha.

Looking over that site kinda makes you wonder why we don't have DTS 5.1 radio broadcasts here in the US.

post #39 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

How can I get this!!!???????????

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #40 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
so where is the .iso for this?

post #41 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, still a WIP.

post #42 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

can you PM me it as an attachement......or straight email me this...

I'd love to use it to set up my system

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #43 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Working on the log sweeps and linear sweep, you want all these 30 seconds long?

-Chris B.

post #44 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

less talk, more links to finished .iso or .mds file

post #45 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

crackyflipside, yeah still 30sec. Unless you want something special, then just add it in.

ssabripo, what no bin/cue?

post #46 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ssabripo, what no bin/cue?

shhhhhhhhhh...........

still trying to tweak my PC (look under e6300):
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8213/conroe1aq1.png
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/atta...1&d=1162492868

I dont wanna add unnecessary things unless absolutely needed ......... .iso or .mds will do...LOL

post #47 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Just sent all the wavs you asked for. Might take a while for it to show up.

Anything else you need, just ask me!

And to echo what everyone else is saying... Hurry up!

Edit: I effed up the email, re-sending them individually.

-Chris B.

post #48 of 300 Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Yes, all tests are available on the LFE channel.

Do you mean they are encoded in an LFE channel or that they are bass managed to the subwoofer channel. Because there is a big difference.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #49 of 300 Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean they are encoded in an LFE channel or that they are bass managed to the subwoofer channel. Because there is a big difference.

It means what it says. They are encoded in full Dolby Digital 5.1 (maybe EX, I haven't decided yet).

I plan on throwing up a few .ac3 waves this weekend to help tide people over. It will only be a sweep on each of the FR, C, and LFE channels, and maybe a few tones to keep the size manageable.

EDIT: Please continue to the next post.

post #50 of 300 Old 11-03-2006, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm a little irritated this morning, sorry. Yes, all tests will be on each individual 5.1 channel. There will be full 1hz to 20,000hz sweeps on the LFE channel. That is why it is taking so long to finish. If you add in the stereo stuff, I'm having to do everything +8 times.

post #51 of 300 Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't sweat it too much, it'll be worth it in the end

-Chris B.

post #52 of 300 Old 11-03-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just checked the by lines on my storage space, and I would exceed my bandwidth before the weekend was up. Does anyone know a good, cheap, storage/distribution avenue? This is for the waves, I have other plans fot the iso.

post #53 of 300 Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Just checked the by lines on my storage space, and I would exceed my bandwidth before the weekend was up. Does anyone know a good, cheap, storage/distribution avenue? This is for the waves, I have other plans fot the iso.

Dreamhost.com with the MAX97 promo code? Unless you are exceeding 66GB/day...
post #54 of 300 Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still working on it guys. I got a little side tracked in this thread about the LFE channels true bandwidth. Some of you might find it interesting. The good thing is that I am confident the SQ of the DVD will be up to snuff now. I've learned how to tweak the programs a little more to work together better, and have ended up with about +/-.2db DD tracks (when accounting for the encoders line mode profile) when compared to the wave originals.

post #55 of 300 Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM

I just want to add that I'd like to get a copy of this disc when its ready. I'd be happy to mail you a SASE with a blank DVD in it - perhaps thats the best/most economical distribution system.
post #56 of 300 Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd be happy to mail you a SASE with a blank DVD in it - perhaps thats the best/most economical distribution system.

That might work.

I have the entire menu system up and running now. The entire 2.0 side is up and running. I have all of the 5.1 sounds ready, I just have to create a video file an hour or so long, add them to it, and then divide it up into chapters. Then throw the correct chapter numbers into the menu and wham'o done.

My wife is going to be out of town this weekend, so hopefully I can get a lot done. Unless my sonotube shows up tomorrow. (where is the darn devil grin? )

post #57 of 300 Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM

b i t t o r r e n t is my vote. Snail mail = stone age
post #58 of 300 Old 11-09-2006, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Caldor. BT would be great.
post #59 of 300 Old 11-11-2006, 07:52 PM

I am psyched to see this development going on, I would love to see the final result. One comment, though, any thoughts on making it 7.1 instead of 5.1? Just wondering if that overly complicates things.

David
post #60 of 300 Old 11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for all the hard work. Can't wait to try the finished product.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page