post #61 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

It looks to be killer. I am getting into the nether regions my self, albeit a different way then you are. I am just not used to seeing expected output at 10Hz. I hope it all goes smooth for you.

hopefully....we shall see

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If I am picturing this correctly ssabripo, why not have the seams face at like a 45 between the side wall and front wall on the south sub? That way, the only time you would really be able to see them is if approaching the space between the two subs in that front left corner. All other area facing into the room would be solid material.

Mike, displacement is 6.52 liters per driver peak to peak. Simply put, two of these ported towers will be able to put a *LOT of energy into the room. I'll be interested in hearing his own opinion of the bass, as the Avalanche 18 has a certain clean quality about it. The bass doesn't sound heavy or muffled, and it doesn't all sound the same. The Master and Commander scene in the middle of the movie where they fire off several cannons at once (not the early battle scene) that Jon demoed for me really stands out in my mind....it's just really clean bass.

Just like when comparing speakers, the differences between well recorded music and not so well recorded music is obvious, good bass and bad bass is obvious. An example is Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow vs Monster House. Each has some extremely bassy footsteps in it. The ones kinda early by the robots in Sky Captain were pretty disappointing, they sound blehh and repetitive. The ones at the end of Monster House when the house grows legs are awesome - percussive and scary.

With music...well, to be honest, both with this sub and with Ryan's that I just heard, there really isn't too much to talk about in my opinion. It sounds natural, it just fits right in, so there really isn't much to say. If it stood out or did something wrong, it would be much easier to critique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

If I am picturing this correctly ssabripo, why not have the seams face at like a 45 between the side wall and front wall on the south sub? That way, the only time you would really be able to see them is if approaching the space between the two subs in that front left corner. All other area facing into the room would be solid material.

yes, that was my initial thought as well.....however, the floor plate will be at least 34", probably more like 36"; the edge of the opening to the living room you see in the pic, to the back wall, is about 16" I believe (just over a foot or so), so looking from the living room into the TV room, you would be able to see 1/2 sub, and ergo, the seams.

who knows...I'll probably worry about it once the building starts. If the going gets lazy, I may just put the freaggin bedliner and call it a day. It looks pretty good anyways:

that was a charcoal color, and they have it in black as well, so I think it may look pretty good at the end, at a much easier workload.

post #64 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

That's bedliner and not fabric? Glad to hear about the decision to use ~36" baseplate though....the ones with the baseplates the same size or smaller than the bottom cap just don't seem visually balanced in my opinion.

post #65 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks Steve for the Displacement numbers. That is quite allot of movement. I am still a new guy to these "mega" displacement numbers. But I will be playing with the big boys soon enough. Not quite 13.04L, but well beyond what I really need for my 1000cf room .
I am interested to see what the final result end up being with these.

It ain't easy being green.

post #66 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am interested to see what the final result end up being with these.

Have you seen the....."others"?

post #67 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I have seen yours obviously and pictures of the others, yes. All I can say is, pretty freakin big.
But just to see other numbers will be interesting.

post #68 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Maaannnn....

*sigh*

I'm growing less and less interested in building my beast anymore....

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #69 of 1845 Old 11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 426
Quote:

yes indeed...that would be a killer look! I really hate the idea of seams to be honest. It wouldn't be "too" hidden. For example, here is the one seam on chuck's headliner in the back:

mmm..Ok I have a idea! I seem to recall a dual 15" driver LLT floating around..how about a dual 18" rig?

Seriously though...why not incorporate $ome veneer and have two upscale units, thus coming out with a single seam? Another option would be thinking about some sort of band/strip that catches your eye, so you could do the horizontal gig..maybe at the 2/3 height? If done right I could see that looking good??

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #70 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

mmm..Ok I have a idea! I seem to recall a dual 15" driver LLT floating around..how about a dual 18" rig?

Seriously though...why not incorporate $ome veneer and have two upscale units, thus coming out with a single seam? Another option would be thinking about some sort of band/strip that catches your eye, so you could do the horizontal gig..maybe at the 2/3 height? If done right I could see that looking good??

yeah, that could be another idea! Also, I'm looking into some regular ol' carpet and see how the seam would look....it is harder to mesh the seams on regular carpet, but still worth a look.

post #71 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

Seriously though...why not incorporate $ome veneer and have two upscale units, thus coming out with a single seam?

That would get real expensive real quick, as each one is ~650 effective liters. So figure the amount you paid for veneer x 2.5

post #72 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stevenn, I gotta go with SC on this one.....veneering two ava18 sonos is gonna rip me a new one! I already splurged and went with a Crown K2 amp for much more than any EP or QSC, so I gotta stop the bleeding somewhere.

post #73 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Walk it off son. Just walk it off

post #74 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Walk it off son. Just walk it off

post #75 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would get real expensive real quick, as each one is ~650 effective liters. So figure the amount you paid for veneer x 2.5

I hear what your saying, but I'm talking about doing a band around the top and bottom of the sono 6" wide. A single 24 X 96" roll would do the trick. You would still need to spend $$ on the hardwood caps though.
Quote:

Stevenn, I gotta go with SC on this one.....veneering two ava18 sonos is gonna rip me a new one! I already splurged and went with a Crown K2 amp for much more than any EP or QSC, so I gotta stop the bleeding somewhere.

Yip!.. you should, its not worth living in a apt like I am for 3-12 months

The carpet idea is good, Ive seen some good looking carpet that would look just fine...it would also solve the problem at hand.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #76 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

apt?? wtf? what happened? did I miss something?

post #77 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 811
o.O wtf?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #78 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Steve,
I think we are all thinking the same thing. Your addiction to building big subs didn't cause the misses to kick you out, did it. You got us worried about you man!

-Ryan

post #79 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Sherv- Just do carpet, man. I think it looks pretty good, and the vertical seam is actually hard to see on mine.
post #80 of 1845 Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 PM

Just pokin around in here reading and thought I may offer a suggestion on the carpet. If you want a ultra clean job, call a local autmotive fabric supplier and ask for Ozite carpet, it comes in just about any color you want, and comes in 48" width or 96" width, it does not have a backing, so when you lay your seam it will vanish, but you have to make sure that your cuts are straight, once you lay the seam just rub your hand over it until the fibers mesh together. Its great stuff, and its fairly cheap.

Oh one more thing, for the glue, use 3M fast foam adhesive in a aerosol can, it goes on in a web pattern that will not bleed through.
post #81 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

apt?? wtf? what happened? did I miss something?

Quote:

o.O wtf?

Quote:

Steve, I think we are all thinking the same thing. Your addiction to building big subs didn't cause the misses to kick you out, did it. You got us worried about you man!

Na!..it's all good, it really is. After 22 yrs of marriage something (mostly me) needed to change. DIY will always be my hobby, but it'll be on hold for a 1/2 year or so until we figure out what to do about our current house (might downsize) and we get things worked out. I could still use our garage since I only live a few miles away, but the tough love thing has most of my attention right now.
Quote:

Sherv- Just do carpet, man. I think it looks pretty good, and the vertical seam is actually hard to see on mine.

I agree, using some type of reg carpet is going to blend just fine if care is taken. I like to use hot glue myself around the top, bottom and seam, but then we all have differing methods getting to the finish line. To be honest, I never have put a lot of concentration into the seam do to it being hidden away in the back.
Quote:

the ones with the baseplates the same size or smaller than the bottom cap just don't seem visually balanced in my opinion.

Do you think? I dunno Steve, I view it just the opposite. I like mine the same size..of course larger would be much better than smaller, but I think the same size looks the most balanced. What ever one prefers though, its all good.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #82 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

where did you get yours from again? (sorry, I forget )

post #83 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Na!..it's all good, it really is. After 22 yrs of marriage something (mostly me) needed to change. DIY will always be my hobby, but it'll be on hold for a 1/2 year or so until we figure out what to do about our current house (might downsize) and we get things worked out. I could still use our garage since I only live a few miles away, but the tough love thing has most of my attention right now.

man, sorry to hear brother....I know how tough it is...but hey, you always got us grumpy nasty opinionated mofos just one click away!

btw, where did you get your carpet from? I dont remember if it was you or Wild or who, but somebody was saying that the carpet comes only in 50" widths or something like that......no?

post #84 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Steve,
Sucks. Man unplug or do whatever you need to do to get your life right. We'll be waiting for you.

-Ryan

post #85 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stevenn, Parboy, Wild, SC, etc.....can you guys point me to the carpet/headliner/etc materials you guys used?

I'm looking at Joann's fabric among other places, and can't seem to nail it down....also, the biggest size I see from that site is 54" wide.

post #86 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

where did you get yours from again? (sorry, I forget )

The good ol' Home Depot actually.

The carpet is something like this stuff.

It was easy to attach using rubber cement, and to get a good seam (but that obviously isn't too critical, since as Steve-nn suggested, one would have the seams turned where they weren't visible) one only needs a sharp razor of some kind.
post #87 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 AM

I bought mine at JoAnn's. It's called headliner material and came 54" wide I believe. I bought 3 yards for my sono.

Brian D.

post #88 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parboy View Post

I bought mine at JoAnn's. It's called headliner material and came 54" wide I believe. I bought 3 yards for my sono.

I looked in there, and no avail...when you get a chance, send me a link or look at your invoice for a part number

post #89 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Don't know if you use ebay but a quick search shows this. Check out his store for differant sizes. The way carpet layers cut carpet so the seam is not that noticable is to lap the ends then cut through both pieces so the seam will butt perfectly.

Edit: linky not worky just do a seach for speaker carpet they have some in 72" x

BR
post #90 of 1845 Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Very nice, your gonna like the Avalanche drivers, the near total lack of distortion makes the bass disappear and blend much better then conventional drivers that I have used in the past.

Good Luck.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page