Time for a new set of speakers? - My Adire setup - the good, the bad, and the ugly! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I built the Adire Kit281 and LCC several years ago....

The good: Great sounding speaker, very pleased

The bad: We moved, and currently the HT room is acoustically junk and very small. In addition, I never purchased/built the surrounds (currently using some throw-away speakers)

The Ugly: The rubber surrounds on one of the 281's is cracked in a few places, almost like there was an interaction between a coating on the mounting screws and the rubber (cracking in localized to the areas of the screws).

My Shiva based sonosub will be remade into a smaller 'box' - probably sealed due to space limitations for the lower frequency duties.

So I have to build something new... looking for ideas - the low budget kind, and no Insignias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The more ugly situation is that Adire provides no support for servicing any drivers other than their current large XBL^2 woofers. And they no longer carry the 8"s used in the 281. So you're on your own to create a fix, find a reconing service that can fabricate a new surround or enjoy the new paperweight.

You might try painting on some "Amazing Goop", they offer several formulas that remain flexible.

If that doesn't work and you can't find a reconer, take the woofer out of the center, use it in the mains then build a new center.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good idea on the Goop - I was racking my brain for ideas... I think that will be the immediate solution (i.e. knee surgery in a couple of days - so lots of football and movies this weekend )

I planned on making a couple of John "Zaph" Krutke Hi-Vi B3S to see how they sounded...if they are OK - make lots more; several for the computers and kitchen plus 7 for the 'less than ideal HT' I have now. I'd put the shiva under the screen dead center (or there-abouts) to offset the high x-over point needed.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post

The Ugly: The rubber surrounds on one of the 281's is cracked in a few places, almost like there was an interaction between a coating on the mounting screws and the rubber (cracking in localized to the areas of the screws).

Could it have been that the screws were torqued just a bit harder than they should have been, causing a slight dimple in the frame at the screw locations? Although still an unnaceptable reason for failure, if this is the case then the surround may have been "stretched" a little bit more in those areas.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 PM

Liked: 10
I have a pair of AV8s (actually a complete pair of KIT81s) which I could part with. I will also keep Extremis, Shiva and Tempest stock for warranty support.

Bob

creativesound.ca
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Stevdart - I considered that (screw torque), but ruled it out based on a couple of things... I just switched out the two suspect drivers with ones from the LCC and none of the screws were over torqued. Additionally, I noticed the adhesive starting to break loose on one surround from the LCC speakers.

Add to that the cracking resembles aging rubber (spider), and has lost a significant amount of flexibility.

This is after 5 years of service, with all bass going through the sub. My 20 year old ADS's that survived college abuse don't show any sign of age.... hmmmm
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page