Modeling IB in winisd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2007, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Is there any way to correctly model an IB sub config in winisd or any other programs? I've tried the way it says on the cult of the infinitely baffled web page, but it just looks like the response i would get from a sealed box, ie., rolling off around 30 db down to the very low end. I'd like to see how guys are getting flat response to 10-15 hz and below.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
an IB is nothing more than a giant sealed box...so that's the response that you should be getting. I set the volume to 45,000L in my models since that is the approx volume of my crawlspace.

The flat response comes from EQ and room gain. If you take nearfield measurements of an IB you will see the response roll off just as a sealed sub...since at nearfield there will be no room gain.

Uncorrected Response:

Corrected Response:

-patrick
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I guess I'm still confused then. If it's from room gain and eq, and I'm getting almost the same graphs from sealed and IB I model in winisd, then what's the difference that makes IB so much better than, say, a large sealed enclosure. Other than obvious things like reaching Xmax with fewer watts and no enclosure visible in the room what would the big advantages be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
the big advantage is that in an IB the rear waves are completely isolated from the front wave and that the "enclosure" is essentially so big that it will not cause any coloration in the sound....add to that multiple drivers and it equals lots of xmax and excellent SQ...the result is an effortless sound that is very difficult to reproduce any other way.

IB's are also very efficient, and since they can be brought to xmax quite easily they are able to dig deeper without much needed power.

a sim cannot model how an IB sounds...that's something you need to experience first hand. sure you can put a beefy driver into a large box, add a huge amp and an LT circuit...and it will also play loud and low...but it wont sound the same.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page