High School Sonosub Project :help: - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a sonosub for my science fair project. it will include a port.
i have 100$ to spend on a driver and a amplifier. i am looking at a plate amplifier so i could use the reciever and speakers that i already have.

i've been shopping partsexpress for various drivers + amplifiers
these are the following that caught my eye

Subs

TANG BAND W6-789S 6-1/2" WOOFER

Amps

DAYTON SA25 25W SUBWOOFER

DAYTON SA70 70W SUBWOOFER

my dad is also building a sonotube subwoofer but on a much larger scale

any input, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
should i use 12 inch sonotube from homedepot or the 20 inch one leftover from my dads sonosub?
i would hope my final product is a managable size so it is fairly portable(might bring it 2 school) and i could use it for many years to come

thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 05:41 PM

I am also in high school. I would not recommend using a 6.5 inch woofer for a sub woofer. I think dayton has a 10" or something like that for around $40. This is still ultra cheap. I am planning to spend about 150-200 on my driver and then another $200 on an amp. Doing this all for $100 it may not be worth the time or the effort.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

$100 is a challenge! I would definitely use your dad's leftover sono... with that budget you need to conserve as much for the amp and driver as possible. For such a limited budget, I'd recommend the $25 Elemental Designs 12" EHQS driver. I used a paif of them in a ported configuration, and it's good for the price. Doesn't need much power, so that would help on amp cost. That would at least leave you plenty of money to get the 70w amp. A single 6.5" driver and/or a 25w amp is just going to leave you pretty limited.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #4 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

That amp doesn't have any info on the high-pass/bass boost settings like some of the amps on Parts Express. That would be good to know, as you may want to take that into account with your tuning. That being said, a good compromise may be a 25hz tune with a 100L enclosure. With 20" sono, that would be about 26" high before base plate & legs, and about 12.5" of 4" port. This give a nice smooth rolloff that should mate reasonably well with room gain and provide good group delay for a small ported sub. Should be a pretty nice sub for <$100. Attached is an SPL chart.
LL

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #5 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Darin,off topic but did you bother to mod the LP filter in your Buttkicker?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

eh, no, I've been meaning to update that thread. It's a bit of a story, I'll do that instead of hijacking this one.

post #7 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

It's a bit of a story..

oh oh
post #8 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing too bad - the other thread is updated.

post #9 of 16 Old 02-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie3 View Post

I am also in high school. I would not recommend using a 6.5 inch woofer for a sub woofer. I think dayton has a 10" or something like that for around $40. This is still ultra cheap. I am planning to spend about 150-200 on my driver and then another $200 on an amp. Doing this all for $100 it may not be worth the time or the effort.

Pish posh. I built a whole sonosub for $130 total (amp, driver and enclosure). Had I not been constrained to use a shielded driver I would have had even more options of drivers to use. Also, the Tang Band 6.5" driver has impressive xmax (better then many 10"ers) and would make a decent sub for an office or video game machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxga09 View Post

any input, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
should i use 12 inch sonotube from homedepot or the 20 inch one leftover from my dads sonosub?
i would hope my final product is a managable size so it is fairly portable(might bring it 2 school) and i could use it for many years to come

thanks,
Ben

I would not use the Home Depot sonotube (i.e. "Quiktube") as it is much thinner - probably too thin. Using your dad's leftover 20" would most likely work better.

Quote:

That amp doesn't have any info on the high-pass/bass boost settings like some of the amps on Parts Express. That would be good to know, as you may want to take that into account with your tuning.

The 70 watt PE amp has no bass boost. For a sub in this price range you will run out of tune long before you hit any highpass. I've used that amp and it is a pretty peppy 70 watts.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-11-2007, 04:28 PM

This is an awesome amp for the money..150 watts and only a couple bucks more than the 70 you were looking at..
Go to ebay and search for Item number: 300065533679

Here is info on taking bass boost..will give you a lot of options..
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/A150.htm

I second looking into eD EHQS line. $25 for the 12 inch, $15 for the 8 inch.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=92
post #11 of 16 Old 02-11-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely agree... had I known you could get a Rythmik amp that cheap, I would have suggested it. Not only are the specs likely better, you'll have a much better chance of getting good info on the filter characteristics (and how to change them to meet your needs). Parts Express may say there's no HP/bass boost, but I have a hard time believing it. Virtually all plate amps do to some extent. And the Rythmik will too. But at least with them, you will have good info on what it is.

post #12 of 16 Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Definitely agree... had I known you could get a Rythmik amp that cheap, I would have suggested it. Not only are the specs likely better, you'll have a much better chance of getting good info on the filter characteristics (and how to change them to meet your needs). Parts Express may say there's no HP/bass boost, but I have a hard time believing it. Virtually all plate amps do to some extent. And the Rythmik will too. But at least with them, you will have good info on what it is.

Well, you are talking $62 shipped vs. $80 shipped (assuming the bass boost on the Rythmik needs to be taken out). Only $20 or so, not that much but at these low prices that may or may not be a big deal depending on how set the budget is.

I'm not sure why you don't believe the PE amp has no bass boost. I've used them and can verify their claim. Note in the Rythmik amp writeup they talk about changing the boost to "no bass boost" for sealed sub use (a reasonable $5 charge). It isn't that uncommon.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

just go to a pawn shop and pick up an old stereo reciever ... that'll give you more power than any of these plate amps will for $50 or so.

Use the LFE or subwoofer out to send the pre-lowpassed signal to the new receiver ... use any of the L/R analog ins and use the volume knob as your gain.

You can get about any old school stereo or pro-logic receiver for under $50 at a pawn shop these days

Best driver for that would be a dB500 ... but that'll take up too much of the budget. If you have some old receivers around the house ... even a crappy one ... it'll do the job and you can spend more of the $$ on the driver. If not, use the MAW-12 or MAW-10 from Mach 5 http://www.mach5audio.com/index-2.html

Good luck with everything

Jim
post #14 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomieMCT View Post

I'm not sure why you don't believe the PE amp has no bass boost. I've used them and can verify their claim.

So you get flat response down to at least 10hz? That is very unusual in a plate amp, particularly a cheap one.

post #15 of 16 Old 02-12-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:

So you get flat response down to at least 10hz? That is very unusual in a plate amp, particularly a cheap one.

Probably not down to 10 Hz, but any sub in this price range will not be getting anywhere near that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomieMCT View Post

The 70 watt PE amp has no bass boost. For a sub in this price range you will run out of tune long before you hit any highpass. I've used that amp and it is a pretty peppy 70 watts.

post #16 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys so much for the help
i should be making my purchases with in the next few days
i'll let you know what i decide to get

thanks again
Ben
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List