I dare to post here since I am not a DIY guy but thought would check the waters.
I have owned several commercial subs in the past including the legendary Danley DTS-20 and just sold dual JL audio f113s.
With $5K in hand. Please recommend some good DIY solutions.
I don't have any wood working tools, neither am I skilled in woodwork. I can learn very quickly and I am good with mechanical stuff (assembly etc). I have built a tube pre-amp, HT rack, assembled an external Xover etc but never a sub.
Here is the criteria.
1. I prefer duals (they give me the best FR over a wider LP).
2. The subs should fit where the f113s were (Please see attached pic of my HT)
3. They should not be large cylinders but good looking boxes.
4. Uncompromising SPL and SQ (room is about 7000 cu ft effective, LP is about 15 ft).
5. Can be active or passive
6. Can be sealed or ported
7. Cannot exceed $5K.
8. Flat FR (+- 3dB from 16Hz to 80Hz). Should not compress early and should be capable of huge SPL. Would like at least 120dB at LP. Dual JLs did close to 118dB at LP with some movies (LOTR, Eragon etc).
What are my options? What would you do?
Thanks for your help,