Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 401 Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
It is...I wont say how I got the 40hz area up but its pretty simple.

Dunno if Ive mentioned it here or HTS but I am just not a fan of using EQ at all. Trading a ragged inroom FR for a ragged power response... Its just not me. So, maybe it wont look any smoother on paper. But thats okay. Cause really, it doesnt matter what REW tells me. Its what sounds good to me. You know?

Got a chance to watch a few things with this EQ setting. FF:RotSS sounded alright, kinda lean on the bass side. I could have sworn that the first one was much bassier. Moving on to reference titles. Hadnt watched Pearl Harbor since it was unEQd and off to the side. Sounds much better now. The balance of bass from ear to ear and the pressure in room is very even. Usually I skip around during the 30mins battle....ended up watching the entire thing. All the low bass subtleties are very easy to pick up. With the bass in the music and cluster f of explosions and all that...they keep up without a sweat.

Finally rewatched my DTS copy of the Haunting last night. Now that I have them in the corners, EQd and with a new sensitivity setting on the BFD they are ready to rock and roll. That said, it was 9-930pm so I kept some reserve. This particular title is about the one and only that makes me cringe ...only because I fear for the structural integrity of the house. As I should. Three double-paned windows in the room and a solar panel system above my head. Watched ch 10 twice. First time a little lower than my typical volume, just to get the feel of them now. Then once more about 2-3dB higher. WWWwwwooooooooWWWweeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Holy cow! Yiiiiikkkkes! Booom! Bbbbbooooom! BBBBBBBBOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! Gotta love this fully extended bottom end....even though the particular sequence doesnt go much lower than the mid-to-high teens the extension shows big time when you go deep like this. Whew! The best part is that the room and my couch are shaking like a mo-fo and the woofer, BFD, and amp lights are all like, "Is that all you've got?" Ahahahaha!

It was getting close to 10pm when I wrapped things up so thats all I got to do last night. Will continue to update the thread.

And remember...my inroom FR is only this ragged because A: i dont like uber aggressive EQ and B: ....its the room and my seating position in it, not the woofies.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #273 of 401 Old 10-06-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Scott,
I'm a little jealous now

just wondering(did Steve mention this) if your couch will fit between the subs if they are placed to fire into the rear corners, from between your surround speakers, that ought to give you maybe 6db more and pack a serious wallop

Regards,
Dan
post #274 of 401 Old 10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Can you post a new picture of how they are placed in the room?
post #275 of 401 Old 10-06-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Scott,
I'm a little jealous now

just wondering(did Steve mention this) if your couch will fit between the subs if they are placed to fire into the rear corners, from between your surround speakers, that ought to give you maybe 6db more and pack a serious wallop

Heheheh...Im sure you arent the only one. They are wicked cool! Dan, take a look at the pic I have of my couch a page back. There is about a foot and a half on each side of the couch so no, I wouldnt be able to place them like that. Unfortunately, I also cannot place one or both the subs behind me because I need to be able to access the closet behind the couch...its in the pic too. We store all sorts of stuff back there and my dad likes to keep our plastic Xmas tree in there.

Also, not a big fan of bass behind me too...so its kind of a toss up.

Quote:

Can you post a new picture of how they are placed in the room?

Steve, Id love to but my "special USB" cable (not type B, this one is smaller) is missing and my digi uses xD memory and nothing in the house can accept it. Maybe I can use my dads camera. Ill try and see. The room looks much more symmetrical now since each one is behind the mains.

Thanks a lot guys for taking interest in my build. Its very awesome and I thank you both for the support in making them.

Group hug!

EDIT: The Olympus site has had the cable out-of-stock forever so I took a look at Amazon and found one. Get this, $30 for that friggin cable....RI....DIC....U....LOUS!!! Heheh, anyhow...Ill have a new cable for my cam this next week.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #276 of 401 Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Woot! I want my father's camera....

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #277 of 401 Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 AM
btp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah... looks much better!

So when is the acoustically transparent front projection screen going up?

Bradley

Signature Challenged.
post #278 of 401 Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Sweet!

My only suggestion, equipment rack.

Great project Scott. Now what do you want to build?

post #279 of 401 Old 10-07-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes, that looks a lot better, and now the mains should be able to perform better as well without any obstructions in the way. I agree about needing an equipment rack You can get one cheap at Walmart if need be.
post #280 of 401 Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you measured the response using both clean and dirty air? Just kidding, looks very nice!
post #281 of 401 Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post

I agree about needing an equipment rack You can get one cheap at Walmart if need be.

Looks like you could at least stack that stuff on one or both of the subs now.

It is a much better looking configuration now.

The tower of power was cool though.

post #282 of 401 Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Hey guys! Hehehe....clean and dirty... Nah, its not a air purifier off to the side. Its my vertical fan. Some people call them "space fans" cause I guess they save space. Even without the electronics on it gets warm in this room (sun hits it all day) so I gotta have a fan. It usually is in line with the left main so its just back and pointing at the wall since it wasn't being used.

Yes, yes, yes....soon enough time to get an equipment rack. Id rather not buy some chinsey one from the store. My dad offered to get this glass one and I thought it looked tacky as heck. No thanks. I plan on knocking out a couple projects at one time. Gonna make a DIY "flexi" rack. Custom tailored to what I need. At the same time I will make a base for each left and right main as they have no feet at all and I dont just want to jab spikes into them. Id like to slightly increase the footprint so they are more stable and add spikes to those bases. Yup.

Jpmst3 - Stacking my equipment on the subs is a HUGE no-no. First of all...the subs are well built but they do vibrate just a little. Enough to keep me from putting my dvd player or sensitive electronics on it. Also, the mains are in the way. You try pointing a remote at that. Hehehe... Sure, its an eye sore to look at but the "rack" (non rack) that I have works fine and doesnt hurt anything but any "bling" looks that could be obtained here. As for the "tower of power"....yeah, I thought it looked pretty menacing like that too. Maybe if (pfft, when) I build two more Ill put two on each side to keep the symmetrical look.

Bradley - That has been one of the biggest upgrade plans on my plate for some time. The RPTV introduces annoying audio artifacts to any room. Reflections, resonances...ah...all of those. Plus, its over 10 years old. Still stuck with S-video as the best input...ugh. I would most certainly like to upgrade to something like that but I have many expenses at the moment. I plan on taking a vacation to Australia before the end of the year so its going to delay any non-priority upgrades in the system. Like equipment racks for that matter.

I really need new surround speakers too. They are some KLH's left over from the old system thats been ever so evolving. My rear surround (seen one page back) speakers were the mains for my system years ago back when all I had was ...hehe....this tv and a yammy pro-logic receiver. I will probably either just find some old 81 or 281 kits left over or upgrade to a NatP or Modula surround and then play catch up with the mains and center. Either way, it will be better than the crummy up-close-and-personal KLH 3-ways at the sides and rear. Ill have the new ones mounted on the wall too. That should make the room more "elegant" looking.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #283 of 401 Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 AM

Well done I salute you yes sir my hats off too you well done. You've barely got enough room to swing a cat around that room. Talk about a sub that looks imposing those small ones how did you get them to blend in? Did you use the bass management or a DCX2496 and a bit magic technique to get a smooth unnoticeable seamless blend as the LCR and surrounds have equal range in frequency depth.
post #284 of 401 Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Well thank you very much!

It is a pretty small room but I get killer room gain in this sized room. Didnt do anything spectacular to blend the mains with the subs. Just have my receiver xover set to 60hz for all channels, a bit of EQ with my BFD and thats about it. I get pretty good inroom response to the upper single digits.

Still tinkering around with things though...

Although I have touted this system for having great SPL capability too, I rarely get to see the loudest of it cause I fear for the structural integrity of the house.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #285 of 401 Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Ahhhh....

What a few inches of relief can do for someone...or something.

I just scooted my tv about an inch or two forward and now I could pull the face of the subs away from the walls (corners) and give them some breathing room. They were really close in the picture above. The tallest part of the surround was about two, three inches at the most from the walls. At high SPLs I could actually hear some of the air around them complain and it wasnt the ports. So now they are about 6-8 inches away from the walls and the sound is cleaner at high SPL. Prolly gonna have to run REW (again, yay.) and see if the FR changed at all.

WooooWooot! Titanic in DTS 6.1 sounds hella nice.

Ran the DTS copy of the Haunting again....f**k me! That shizz is freaking scary! The bass not the movie. Sounds like I can turn it up some more but Im afraid I might break a window.

More and more impressions to follow....

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #286 of 401 Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That's what I want to hear! Haha, man oh man am I excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Ahhhh....

What a few inches of relief can do for someone...or something.

I just scooted my tv about an inch or two forward and now I could pull the face of the subs away from the walls (corners) and give them some breathing room. They were really close in the picture above. The tallest part of the surround was about two, three inches at the most from the walls. At high SPLs I could actually hear some of the air around them complain and it wasnt the ports. So now they are about 6-8 inches away from the walls and the sound is cleaner at high SPL. Prolly gonna have to run REW (again, yay.) and see if the FR changed at all.

WooooWooot! Titanic in DTS 6.1 sounds hella nice.

Ran the DTS copy of the Haunting again....f**k me! That shizz is freaking scary! The bass not the movie. Sounds like I can turn it up some more but Im afraid I might break a window.

More and more impressions to follow....

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #287 of 401 Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Shameless plug to bump my thread...

Nah, just kidding. I got a chance to watch some of my dads HD-DVDs in my theater. "Borrowed" his player this week when my friend wanted to see 'Transformers' as he didnt get to see it in theaters. Glad he got to see on these bad boys! He thoroughly enjoyed the movie (I didnt, meh...eh...nvm) but we both enjoyed the sound. Since I dont have an HDMI receiver everything on HDDVD is converted to 1500kbps DTS. We Were Soliders sounds soooooo much better in DTS. My dvd that Ive watched sounded so bloaty compared to the DTS track on HD. Tells you a little something for things to come. Cant wait for the Haunting, SPR or WotW in HD/Blu-ray. Heheheheh!

Anyhoo...Ive had a cold for the past couple of days so Im just chilling with my woofies. I was thinking about breaking out my ol' X-Box and plugging in my +40 button controller for Steel Battalion It was a very, very niche game cause of the price (originally $200 when it first came out. I picked it up off of Ebay for $150 with the sequel of the game and it was in perfect condition.) and because of the sim-like characteristic of the game. It was quite inaccesable to most people that just want to run and gun...

Heres the controller if youve never heard of the game.

Oh, duh...Im so fuzzy today. I was mentioning this game cause it had KILLER bass with my vented tempest and I never got around to testing this game with my 18's but always meant to. Just gotta bring em outta the closet and take a run tonight if I can. Ill take some pics of my own and maybe take a video of it in action. Gotta love them blinking, sequenced lights!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #288 of 401 Old 10-25-2007, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Woooooo Hooooooo!!! Uber woot!

Slightly off topic but I just wanted to tell ya this...

Went to Besy Buy last night cause my dad wanted to pick up a couple of harddrives for our office. An internal one for my manager's comp and a network harddrive for all of us. Perusing around like usual and I take a peek at some Hd movies and Blu-ray. Like I always do. Checking out the players, curious about any sales or anything. Walked over to this table with stacks of assorted dvd, hddvd, and blu-ray players that are open box items. I saw some pretty decent deals. $250 for a BDP-S300 blu-ray and about the same for a Toshiba HD-XA2. I thought this was a hell of a deal...definitely want to pick one or more of these up. When my dad catches up to me taking a peek at the open box items this girl peeks her head around the desk and says, "Those are actually 75% off." Huh? "The price is about 50% of whats on the sticker." So basically, the HDXA2 (retails for $700) and the BDPS300 (retails for $500) were actually $150 and $125 respectfully. So we came home with four hd players, two blu-rays and two HDDvd players! $2400 worth (before tax) of players for about $500.

Hellzzzz yeah!

Right place at the right time...

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #289 of 401 Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM
btp
AVS Special Member

SWEET! Welcome to the optical HDM "club", Scott!

Come on in... nevermind all the naysayers and fanboys... as long as you are dual format, the water is warm.

Bradley

P.S. I have a XA2 and a PS3, so my bases are covered.

Signature Challenged.
post #290 of 401 Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Thank you very much, Bradley!

Im so glad I can be format neutral now. We have had a A2 for a month but that was in my dads room with the HDTV. Heheh, now its in the kitchen...erm, with our 720p tv. Im still in SD land but with the highest quality audio in the house. Skewed assortment of equipment but Im holding out for a FP system. Got my eyes on that Epson 1080p projector but that will be a whiles away from now. Ah! Then I could finally have my speakers behind the screen. Sweetness!

Anyhow...Ive gotten some time to watch stuff in PCM (woot woot!) and the difference is night and day. For me anyway... Pearl Harbor in 24bit PCM compared to 768kbps DTS is ...well, wow. Sounds freaking awesome! As with the rest of the spectrum the bass is much better refined and has that detail that was just lacking. I miss having my rear surrounds but its alright. The SQ is worth the loss of rear surrounds. My only complaint is that PCM shows ANY faults in a master. Such as the Fifth Element. The fidelity is great but there are some clipping and distorted sounds in a few places. Very distracting, I could hear it on my SD dvds but now it really sticks out. Lolz!

Sooo lovin' being able to listen to PCM now. Yaaayyy!

Damn, I want some more Blu-rays and good sounding HDDVDs! Where's the Haunting, Wotw, and SPR? Oh....damn Dreamworks! Those better be in PCM.

Btw, still watching your threads. Very excited to see your units in action and bring a smile to your face. You're gonna love em.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #291 of 401 Old 10-31-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I assumed the subs fired into each other, not against the wall. Too much work to test out, but i wonder what kind of difference that would make...
post #292 of 401 Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 View Post

Oh, I assumed the subs fired into each other, not against the wall. Too much work to test out, but i wonder what kind of difference that would make...

I plan on trying it one of these days, I just need more speaker wire as I cut mine short enough for the original "stacked" placment and its just a little too short to twist them around firing in, atm.

Its definitely something I would like to try but having them sound pretty darn good now has stopped me from trying anything much else. Plus they are a bitch to move around.

Must.....get....front ..........projector.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #293 of 401 Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 PM
btp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Must.....get....front ..........projector.

DO IT!!! You know... so you can be cool, like me!

The PT-AX200U for $1299 would be really hard for me to pass up if I was in the market for a new projector. Love my AX100U. 1080p front projectors are still a bit pricey and not nearly as bright.

Signature Challenged.
post #294 of 401 Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Ah, nice price! Although those models arent full 1080p and Im looking to future proof myself that way. Cant have my dad bragging about his 65" 1080p if mines only 720p.

Its gonna be a whiles out but I will get one someday.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #295 of 401 Old 10-31-2007, 02:04 PM
btp
AVS Special Member

I hear ya. The AX100 was an upgrade and holdover for me until something more affordable and/or attactive comes along in the way of 1080p. I figured I could get more use out of double the brightness moreso than double the pixels... at about half the price. When I find the ultimate "gotta have it" sub-$3000 1080p projector, I will let you know.

Signature Challenged.
post #296 of 401 Old 10-31-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

Thats cool! I can understand your reasons for getting the one you have now. As for me, I can hold out for a while. Ive been using this Hitachi rptv for over 10years now. Cleaned it before I finished my subs and improved the picture a good bit.

I like the Epson 1080p <$3000 projector thats out now. Seems nice, havent seen it in person though. Let me know if you hear of any better FP for under $3000.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #297 of 401 Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I love my Epson 400, the new 1080 one is supposed to be very nice. Maybe next year when they get down < 2k.
post #298 of 401 Old 11-01-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

http://danleysoundlabs.com/technical%20downloads.html

Check out the fireworks download when you scroll down. I hope one sub is gonna be enough for me..

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

post #299 of 401 Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Bass Enabler

AH! AH HA! The download link works again. Woot! Im downloading it and will give it a try sometime soon. Woot woot!

Just one sub for now should give you a good quaking. Ive done the 'Irene' tests a few times and see great excursion and can feel the slow shaking. Dunno if I will ever push them to the limit though, with just one for now you might find those limits. Good luck sir!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #300 of 401 Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AH! AH HA! The download link works again. Woot! Im downloading it and will give it a try sometime soon. Woot woot!

Just one sub for now should give you a good quaking. Ive done the 'Irene' tests a few times and see great excursion and can feel the slow shaking. Dunno if I will ever push them to the limit though, with just one for now you might find those limits. Good luck sir!

That's not good. I think I need 3 more.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page