Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nicole,

I knows how it feels to be called crazy in regards to owning this type of audio system also so don't feel that your alone . Though I don't have near money in mine since I bought EVERYTHING on the used market I got many of the same comments as you are getting now.

Bottom line is I've had a large mix of styles, sizes, and quality of setups in my relatively short 12yrs of audio experience and I have to say my JBL pro Cinema gear is the system I've enjoyed the most.

Stay the course Nicole and just remember this is your system and do it the way you like. Take the constructive ideas many here have given you and apply what you can if you feel it would help your system in the end.

The most important advice I can give you Nicole:
Even though some people on these boards take this stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY remember...this isn't life or death we're talking about here(though your system may have the power to kill)...it's and audio system.

This stuff is supposed to be FUN so don't let certain people stress you out...relax and enjoy the process.

Happy 4th everyone!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What was said exactly to get your feathers roughed up? Did a post get deleted that I am missing?

War Eagle!
post #183 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
DH,
Energy stealers lurk all over.I doubt they can slow you down. Project looks great.Keep up all the pics and impressions of the install !

KG
post #184 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Almost .... http://content.answers.com/main/cont...-to-rumble.jpg

The storm was gone, but dark clouds still hung around
The perfect setting for things to come......

post #185 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 PM

Liked: 10
Damn...haha, I'm assuming you aren't single?
post #186 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTony76 View Post

Damn...haha, I'm assuming you aren't single?

She was sent here to torture every guy on AVS that has the nagging anti-theater spouse.

post #187 of 663 Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

Was a rotary sub considered for the 0-20Hz range? I'm thinking 4-6 18" IB + rotary sub will outperform 12 18" drivers in an IB configuration. Here's a link.

i would stick with the 12 18's and run 4 rotary subs with them

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #188 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

QSC PL380 Review

Found one...

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/24024/0/

Kris Krell, 12 June 2007
" I recently had the pleasure of hosting a demo QSC PL380. This amp is basically QSC's answer to IT8K & FP6400. Although it seems like a long time coming, it looks like they have come up with a really attractive package. I did not have the time or the facilities to bench test it, so this is only a subjective review from a mostly Crown user.

The first thing I noticed about it is that all the ins, outs and controls are laid out and labeled in a very CLEAR and LOGICAL fashion, which is not something I can say for all amps. ALL controls on the rear panel have associated LED's to indicate the switch settings, with parallel and bridge mode even duplicated on the front panel. No more crawling in w/ the maglite and squinting into a dusty hole... +1 for functional design.

It's Class D and rated 2500wpc @ 4 and 4000wpc* @ 2 (1kHz, 1%thd) ...which is kinda weird, but if I've learned one thing here, its that numbers on paper are not the last word on performance. I had it for one day, and I had the perfect job for it - standing in for a *pair* of MA5K's on subwoofer duty at a sold-out show with 32 inputs of electronics, guitars and vox, and a lot of hysterical fans. We would find out what this amp can do.
I was a little nervous and on some level didn't really believe it would be up to the task (maybe it was that little star by the output rating). I was ready to jump back to the 5K's at the first sign of trouble.

The PL380 comes equipped with a NEMA L-5-30. In this case, the L5 jacked right in to the local RacPac (so the amp was getting its 30 amp hole - which it seems would be crucial for 2 ohm operation). Add to this the amps NL4/banana output option, and the swap out was a snap. I have heard talk that the goal is to have powercon but that it just hasn't happened yet...

Adjustable input sensitivity (26db, 32db and 1.2v) helped me to match it exactly to the amps that were already there, @ 26db. It also has XLR thrus for daisy chaining AND two euro-block connectors paralleled as well. The inputs are further paralleled to the 'HD15' 15-pin data connector which can then achieve amp control/monitoring as well as analog audio signal routing. Lot of options here.

Amp was run in stereo, 2 ohms/ch, and I left the clip limiters on just to see if we could make them work. I defeated the onboard hpf (it has 30hz and 50hz settings). The system dsp limiter was set @ +16 20:1, hpf was 34.1 24db/oct LW.

As soon the first signal passed it was obvious something was up. Even at low levels there was a certain distinct character to the bass. My very first impression was that it seemed to have a bit of an attitude... just slightly aggressive, like it couldn't wait to be turned up. Beyond that, I won't try with the slippery descriptors, but after 3 or 4 tracks at high levels, some Sade, Me'shell Ndegeocello and Kraftwerk, I had a big smile on my face and was remembering clearly all the particular descriptions of labsters raving about the sound of IT8K when it came out.

The show was fantastic. I told the tour guy early in the day that he could let it rip, he was very cool and said he didn't want to hurt anything. I assured him it would be ok and he did end up hitting it pretty hard, up to around 105c @ foh - 75'. As the show went on I kept checking on the amp to see how hard it was working... I just could not believe what I was hearing compared to what I was looking at. It just sat there, obediently flashing its lights, with a small, efficient fan pushing a small amount of warm air out the front. I never did see it clip or limit despite the heavy, bass-intensive program.

When one considers they are made in Costa Mesa, California & aren't owned by BLOB INC., the extensive control, monitoring and dsp *options*, a stellar customer support history, the Class H 340 and 325, 3+3 year warranty AND Bob Lee... Not to mention the fact that they street for around $1K less than FP6400 and $1700 less than IT8K... well it's just about enough to get a left-coast sound geek with a pile of old Macrotechs kind of excited.

In fact, the only thing I didn't like about it was the little blue power led on the front... Lets just say blue wouldn't have been my first choice...

The unit I had did have one minor cosmetic issue, a visibly rough edge on the badge on the front panel. In fact, the same defect is visible on the front of the 340 pictured in the PL3 glossy brochure, pretty good sense of humor down there in SoCal I guess. I would generally be unconcerned about this as a buyer, but as it is the flagship model, some customers MAY expect cosmetic perfection AND amazing value>performance.
In any case it was very minor and I'm sure its being addressed.

To sum,

You know that feeling you get when you are using or learning a piece of well thought out gear, suddenly it all makes sense, and you get the fleeting idea that the engineering staff responsible for creating it is somehow winking at you, right thought the piece of equipment?

Well anyway, it's a good feeling. Kudos to a bunch of folks who seem to have earned it.

-kk"

Notes:

1. MA5K's refers to the proven old school Crown Macrotech 5000w amp
that people love to use to drive bass with ballz...........

2. IT8K refers to the Crown I-Tech, I-T8000 amp.

3. FP6400 is a Lab Gruppen amplifier.

post #189 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well, QSC does have a good track record, but really all one finds out from that review is that the amps seems to have a nice user interface. Everything else is totally up in the air yet, we don't know of any reliability issues, or any real scientific tests.
post #190 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
what room size will it be and screen size ? just asking
post #191 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

The screen size is in another Thread.... but IIRC it's 155" diag

room was like.....13x20?? somewhere in there
post #192 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyharriett View Post

Screen is currently a DIY 155" 16:9... room is 13.5" x 21". I plan on purchasing a SMX 166" 2:35 AT screen after the front facade modifications are made...

How tall is the room and is it sealed or leaky?
post #193 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a very difficult question to answer since it is a split level house with a slanted cathedral ceiling and an open floor plan. I could probably write a page trying to describe the room and you still probably could not visualize it. The low side of the ceiling in the HT area is around 8' and the high side is around 12'. The left rear side opens up to the upper floor and behind the 2nd tier seating area is the stairs to the lower floor. LOTS of open air feel to the floor plan... so I guess this means EXTREMELY LEAKY....

I get the picture. It would take mega woofers like yours to pressurize such a room. Your 2 IBs are spaced apart by less than 8 ft (I am guessing) which means you will get a good 6dB headroom with the second one due to good acoustic coupling.
How many listening positions (LPs) do you plan on having? I would start doing some measurements to make sure your LPs don't fall in a big null. It maybe worth investing in a good measurement software like TrueRTA or ETF if you don't already have one. I would also invest in a good SPL meter/mic like the Galaxy CM-140.
Fantastic work!
post #194 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 PM

In my opinion and from my experience building a IB I would of done 1 large box. With two boxes your going to have cancellation problems in certain portions of the room. The one down size to IB is you can't move them to adjust your just stuck with what you got. You won't know until it's playing where those dead spots are going to be.

I used two boxes myself and wish I just done one larger enclosure. Hopefully your enclosures are close enough together to limit the problem. They are certainly closer then mine.
post #195 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well to all of the people on AVS who have been friendly, helpful and have treated me with respect I would like to say thank you. This may be however my LAST post on AVS or any other HT forum for that matter for quite a while. I really overestimated the maturity level of many of my fellow HT enthusiasts. I thought it would be fun to share my HT makeover and construction project like the many others before me but that's just not the case. Literally since the first post I have been subject to crude, idiotic and immature behavior that would make me think this is a forum full of nothing but teenage boys. I already knew these forums are almost an all boys club but this is ridiculous

I'm tired of being the butt of your jokes and an easy target. I guess I should go from thread to thread posting arsehole sexist remarks like (yikes, I guess her washing machine was not doing the trick any more this comment was posted on another AVS members site who has commented on my HT build thread) and make fun of everything everybody else is doing.

People have even ripped me for the plain look of the theater. DUH!!! why do you think I started a HT CONSTRUCTION/MAKEOVER thread? Have you even seen the pictures of my previous home theater that looked like something out of a magazine? No, because I have never posted them on this or any other HT forum. People have been ripping me to shreds on items we haven't even had a chance to do yet. We only started these recent projects a few weeks ago. I have even said multiple times that this makeover would probably take 9-12 months.

After having been in this hobby for more than 20 years I wanted something more than the regular run of the mill system. I figured I would use a concept similar to the A10 warthog. I would build my BIG gun first and then build the plane around it. This approach made sense to me since I knew it would probably take experimenting with different equipment to find something that delivers the results I want.

It didn't make much logical sense to me to spend thousands on sound treatments until I knew how the room would be configured and what and how much equipment was going to be built around. I had no idea what a firestorm it would start or how difficult is would be for others to accept alternate ways and order of building a HT system.

Since so many people have a problem with what I am doing I will now make my idiotic, stupid, insane, overkill HT system a PRIVATE affair. I never knew some men could be so insecure and pathetic about a woman building a HT system with some balls bigger than theirs. If you want more laughs you won't get them at my expense go turn on the comedy channel because Dirtyharriett has left the building

This is very sad. What a loss .
post #196 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad. Those who have said crude remarks are lowlives that are jealous of what your doing.

My suggestion, is to ignore and continue! When all is said and done including the proposed visit to your system, you'll become a legend!

But I do agree there are sexist pigs out there, but you need to have a thick skin. If you let it get to you, then THEY win.

Hope you change your mind and come back.

Evil is Good
post #197 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

..... but you need to have a thick skin.
Hope you change your mind and come back.

Ditto that! This is the internet after all, where people know virtually nothing about one another and part of the reason they get away with saying what they do. If you do take it personally then it's probably best you do not visit forums like these.

However it would be nice if you had a change of heart and showed the project to it's competition. Your letting a few bad apples ruin the bunch.
post #198 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DH,
a good majority of us here are following your thread with excitement and courtesy....don't let the couple of bad apples ruin it for you or for us.

as Vito said, if you leave, they win! just ignore them, and add them to your Ignore list in your user preferences.

hope you continue to keep us up to date!
post #199 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

This is most unfortunate. I was following this thread closely.
post #200 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Please stay. I would love to see the outcome of this project.

Those QSC amps you picked are very nice. I have a couple of the 3602s myself. I like to use the 4050s/5050s for sub duty, much more power

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #201 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Too bad. Those who have said crude remarks are lowlives that are jealous of what your doing.

My suggestion, is to ignore and continue! When all is said and done including the proposed visit to your system, you'll become a legend!

X2
It if werent for this thread I wouldnt of decided to get back into my bass heavy roots and start a new project which is nothing like this. I really hope you come back
post #202 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I reeeeealy wanted to see how this came out. I apologise for those who've offended you. Very good thread.

120@20@14'
post #203 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to say this. Is it just me or am I missing something? I looked through the threads and for the most part, people have been very supportive and appreciative of this project and the LCR project. What troubles me is this statement
"Literally since the first post I have been subject to crude, idiotic and immature behavior that would make me think this is a forum full of nothing but teenage boys. I already knew these forums are almost an all boys club but this is ridiculous"
A bit too harsh and it is not fair to those of us who have been supportive and not mocking and idiotic.
Yes some guys joked around but the language in which they were lashed back was not nice either. Maybe she got nasty PMs and in that case it is regretful.
I am just bummed that we don't get to see this project to fruition.
post #204 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcomp124 View Post

I have to say this. Is it just me or am I missing something? I looked through the threads and for the most part, people have been very supportive and appreciative of this project and the LCR project. What troubles me is this statement
"Literally since the first post I have been subject to crude, idiotic and immature behavior that would make me think this is a forum full of nothing but teenage boys. I already knew these forums are almost an all boys club but this is ridiculous"
A bit too harsh and it is not fair to those of us who have been supportive and not mocking and idiotic.
Yes some guys joked around but the language in which they were lashed back was not nice either. Maybe she got nasty PMs and in that case it is regretful.
I am just bummed that we don't get to see this project to fruition.

I don't understand where the crude comments come from.

In public chat it's normal to hear many viewpoints and the funny comments
you hear can be ignored and you keep moving your project forward.

There are plenty of people who support it and want to see progress pics.

post #205 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thylantyr View Post

I don't understand where the crude comments come from.

In public chat it's normal to hear many viewpoints and the funny comments
you hear can be ignored and you keep moving your project forward.

There are plenty of people who support it and want to see progress pics.

Thyl,
I don't understand either. So I am guessing she got nasty PMs. An easy fix for that is to ignore them.
post #206 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Problems are easily solved by passing some of these around the forum.
http://www.igougo.com/photos/journal...s__%20Guac.JPG

post #207 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Bummer, but not suprising.

There are some real jackasses trolling the internet and forums. Some can handle it and not let it get to them or take it personally while others cannot.

This is a terrific project and thread, major bummer.

post #208 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Regardless WHERE these comments came from here or anywhere. The number one reason is she's a woman WITH money and the lowlives don't have that kind of scratch and therefore their envious. If some guy....was doing this project, it would've been a different story. It wouldn't happen.

What if she was building "THE TWO TOWERS" that sherv has. Some ahole would tastelessly comment about penises! Don't tell me I'm wrong!
Instead of looked upon as a fellow AVSer, she's frowned, by some, as some lady trying to get into a men's only club.

I don't see anyone dogging on Mcall. She's a GRANDMOTHER with tons of knowledge!
Why this woman?

I'm appalled and ashamed. Instead treating her like "one of the guys", some jealous ahole can't take that a woman into HT.

Stupid.

Evil is Good
post #209 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Exactly!

post #210 of 663 Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regardless WHERE these comments came from here or anywhere. The number one reason is she's a woman WITH money and the lowlives don't have that kind of scratch and therefore their envious. If some guy....was doing this project, it' would've been a different story. It wouldn't happen.

What if she was building "THE TWO TOWERS" that sherv has. Some ahole would tastelessly comment about penises! Don't tell me I'm wrong!
Instead of looked upon as a fellow AVSer, she's frowned, by some, as some lady trying to get into a men's only club.

I don't see anyone dogging on Mcall. She's a GRANDMOTHER with tons of knowledge!
Why this woman?

I'm appalled and ashamed. Instead treating her like "one of the guys", some jealous aholes can't take a woman into AV.

Oh so true. It's no wonder people don't like our forums as much. Alot of the users here just troll and become pointless aholes on someone just trying to share what they're doing.
I wish I could have 50kw of power.. and a dedicated 200a line..
Good luck to her.
She's building everything I want to build.
Please stay, I want to see it.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
Closed Thread DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page