Got it assembled, wired and plugged in last night
Here's the driver hole:
Port view 1:
Port view 2:
The whole deal:
I love screws!
Put "in place"... well, not really. No idea where it's final resting place will be. The carpet is hideous (being changed soon) and as you can see everything is a disaster, but it's coming along. My poor little Ascend 340's are dwarfed by this monster. That's a Behringer EP2500 in bridged mono driving it.
By the time the final t-nut was tightened and the amp was plugged in, it was 10:30 PM. My daughter was sleeping and my wife (8.5 month pregnant wife!) had crawled into bed too. So, no 'house shaking' tests. Initial reaction was so-so, but until I get some levels set properly and get to let 'er buck, everything is speculation. But, demo disk 25 was showing some promise at lower volumes. I went upstairs to see "what's shakin" and found a somewhat disgruntled wife asking why things were vibrating.
I cut the port to 36" and still need to attach the flare pieces internally. There's no material inside the box (what do I need here?). The box obviously needs some finish work. Likely carpet, or felt... something. The main problem will be placement. It will probably stay where it is now. Too big to go under the screen and place the center on top of.
- measure three times, cut once. Already knew this, but doesn't hurt to repeat it.
- Glue and screw is faster, but ugly
- What a t-nut
- Make sure you have the correct tools for the job. Drills, router, table saw and sander are a must.
- Dry fit everything first. No glue until you get it to fit perfect. Pencil marks where 'perfect' is so you can find it again with the glue applied.
- Make sure you have a perspective on size. I went through the whole process thinking "it's only 2 feet... not that big". Yeah right. This thing is a monster. Make sure it fits your setup first. I suggest a box made of cardboard first and look at positioning options.