Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Devon,
that looks nice with the rounded edges on the braces

Speezy,
25 cubic foot is something like Scott's RL-p box

MacBuster,
the only thing to tweak is the holes in the braces, Devon's look nice with the rounded edges @ 20.5" ID, I will be drawing up final plans with 21" ID cutouts for maximum internal volume. Just trying to get as much volume/performance as possible.

Later
Dan

Regards,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 172
"and personally I wouldn't use less then 1.5 inches of mdf anywhere with such a big box."

If the bracing is spaced closely enough it's not a problem.

In the best case, a cube, you're losing 3 1/2 cu ft of internal volume by using 1 1/2" instead of 3/4".

Noah
post #93 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:

Almost everyone I have emailed for a 25 cu ft enclosure never emailed back.

You never emailed me. Gawddamn these things are HUGE! Ooof! Such a pain to move around.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #94 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is a super-cool looking box... internally anyway . One word of caution to anyone planning on building this sucker. Be very precise with your cuts, and err on the side of 'a hair too big'. It's easy to take a bit more off. Wood stretchers cost a fortune!

We spent a lot of time yesterday tweaking the cuts to make it fit nice. Final assembly should be tonite and HOPEFULLY I get to plug the damn thing in! Because of a couple boo-boos, it's gonna be a carpet finish... plus there's screws all over hell... I love my screws

Built on a tight budget: The Cheap Seats Cinema
post #95 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM

Liked: 10
Tonight?

Trevor
post #96 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Dan... thanks! I'm not sure if I'd go to 21". Those outter edges are getting pretty skimpy. You'll likely want to change the drawing and instructions on page 1 to only cut four twenty-something inch holes and one 16.75 to be used behind the driver. Is the final port length 37.5 and does that include the little MDF horn-deal at the end?

Trev... We'll see. I'll call ya later.

post #97 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"and personally I wouldn't use less then 1.5 inches of mdf anywhere with such a big box."

If the bracing is spaced closely enough it's not a problem.

In the best case, a cube, you're losing 3 1/2 cu ft of internal volume by using 1 1/2" instead of 3/4".

Let me explain the simplest way I can why I don't like to go overboard on bracing and prefer a thicker wall instead with a tad of bracing.

Get a couple of those boards of braces, build a box but with no face or rear, put it in front of your sub and meter it, build another box with very little bracing and meter it again, and tell me which one is louder. I know it isn't that simple but to each their own, I would rather use what I said above.

My box is double all around but you can only tell the face is from the outside, and it has a couple of braces inside the box and its an outstanding performer you or speezy are welcome to a demo any day if you like
post #98 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Couple more noob questions (this thread is for the noobs, right? )

- where does the amp go?

- are there directions for how to actually mount the driver? Is it obvious how this works, once you have the box built?
post #99 of 217 Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You never emailed me. Gawddamn these things are HUGE! Ooof! Such a pain to move around.

Hey, if you can do it send me a PM..

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #100 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post

Couple more noob questions (this thread is for the noobs, right? )

- where does the amp go?

- are there directions for how to actually mount the driver? Is it obvious how this works, once you have the box built?

The amp will be external. The box will have binding posts.

Two ways. Either you screw them or use T-nuts. Do a search on T-nuts and you'll see what I mean.

Evil is Good
post #101 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Got it assembled, wired and plugged in last night

Here's the driver hole:

Port view 1:

Port view 2:

The whole deal:

I love screws!

Put "in place"... well, not really. No idea where it's final resting place will be. The carpet is hideous (being changed soon) and as you can see everything is a disaster, but it's coming along. My poor little Ascend 340's are dwarfed by this monster. That's a Behringer EP2500 in bridged mono driving it.

By the time the final t-nut was tightened and the amp was plugged in, it was 10:30 PM. My daughter was sleeping and my wife (8.5 month pregnant wife!) had crawled into bed too. So, no 'house shaking' tests. Initial reaction was so-so, but until I get some levels set properly and get to let 'er buck, everything is speculation. But, demo disk 25 was showing some promise at lower volumes. I went upstairs to see "what's shakin" and found a somewhat disgruntled wife asking why things were vibrating.

I cut the port to 36" and still need to attach the flare pieces internally. There's no material inside the box (what do I need here?). The box obviously needs some finish work. Likely carpet, or felt... something. The main problem will be placement. It will probably stay where it is now. Too big to go under the screen and place the center on top of.

Lessons learned:
- measure three times, cut once. Already knew this, but doesn't hurt to repeat it.
- Glue and screw is faster, but ugly
- What a t-nut is.
- Make sure you have the correct tools for the job. Drills, router, table saw and sander are a must.
- Dry fit everything first. No glue until you get it to fit perfect. Pencil marks where 'perfect' is so you can find it again with the glue applied.
- Make sure you have a perspective on size. I went through the whole process thinking "it's only 2 feet... not that big". Yeah right. This thing is a monster. Make sure it fits your setup first. I suggest a box made of cardboard first and look at positioning options.

post #102 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 12:21 PM

Devon, your how-to pictures were fantastic, especially for someone like me who is very inexperienced at DIY in general.

Do you just have the wires running into the open box and straight to the driver from the amp right now?

How have you done the binding posts Vito mentioned?

Are you planning on covering the driver with cloth or mesh to clean it up as part of your finishing?
post #103 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

Got it assembled, wired and plugged in last night

By the time the final t-nut was tightened and the amp was plugged in, it was 10:30 PM. My daughter was sleeping and my wife (8.5 month pregnant wife!) had crawled into bed too. So, no 'house shaking' tests. Initial reaction was so-so, but until I get some levels set properly and get to let 'er buck, everything is speculation. But, demo disk 25 was showing some promise at lower volumes. I went upstairs to see "what's shakin" and found a somewhat disgruntled wife asking why things were vibrating.

I like your build, but your timing is WAY off...

You guys are crazy....
post #104 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post

Devon, your how-to pictures were fantastic, especially for someone like me who is very inexperienced at DIY in general.

Do you just have the wires running into the open box and straight to the driver from the amp right now?

How have you done the binding posts Vito mentioned?

Are you planning on covering the driver with cloth or mesh to clean it up as part of your finishing?

Thanks Mac . Currently, I just punched a hole in the back and have the wires directly from the driver to the amp. I've got one of these but haven't put it in yet. Not sure if I'll cover the driver. Hadn't crossed my mind actually.

The only way to get experienced at DIY is to DIY. Have fun!

post #105 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski View Post

I like your build, but your timing is WAY off...

Hmmmm I think I've heard that somewhere before.

I happen to think it's perfect timing. I'll take a month off once the little one comes and spend that time tweaking and getting the kids used to the thundering basement.... and running from my wife

post #106 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I have two of these guys and like to do this project. Same size and everything.

Are you going to take some measurements/impressions?

Evil is Good
post #107 of 217 Old 08-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

I have two of these guys and like to do this project. Same size and everything.

Are you going to take some measurements/impressions?

I may build another to plug under the right side of the screen... I'm all about symmetry.

I don't have any equipment for measurements... wouldn't even know what to look for. Impressions may be biased since the only bass I've ever had was car audio, and I don't imagine this one 18" in a 26 X 21 room will make my eyeballs jiggle. The only comparison I can really do is with my buddy's 15"x4 IB setup... not even in the same league.

I spent the night painting trim, so no house shaker test yet again Once I get a chance to pop in a LFE demo I'll post my impression on the matter.

post #108 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

I may build another to plug under the right side of the screen... I'm all about symmetry.

I don't have any equipment for measurements... wouldn't even know what to look for. Impressions may be biased since the only bass I've ever had was car audio, and I don't imagine this one 18" in a 26 X 21 room will make my eyeballs jiggle.

I think it will.

Evil is Good
post #109 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Dan, I'm looking at other options. 350l net tuned to 14-15hz. How does 24X24X42 sound? Or something like that.

Evil is Good
post #110 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it will.

Naw.... A good system in the 145 db or so and up in a car actually gives you blurred vision when the bass hits. I am so used to that, that my 1-15 just isnt cutting it anymore... I doubt 2 will so I might be going with 4x15"s soon
post #111 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Dan, I'm looking at other options. 350l net tuned to 14-15hz. How does 24X24X42 sound? Or something like that.

That's close to what I'm doing. 340 liters net tuned to 16.5hz. I'll be starting on a pair of them early next week.
post #112 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You definitely don't need 145dB to blur your vision. How on earth do you car audio guys stand that much spl? I can stand more than anyone I have ever met (when I turn my system up, everyone leaves and complains) but I can't do more than 125dB or so, and that for very short periods of time. I see people posting here saying they go to clubs that are 150dB and sit in there cars for 160dB, I don't know you do it and keep your ears functioning.
post #113 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

I don't know you do it and keep your ears functioning.

Strangely enough, I recently had a hearing test and was told I have very, very, very good hearing. But, I doubt any of my car audio setups were anywhere near 140dB.

post #114 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

You definitely don't need 145dB to blur your vision. How on earth do you car audio guys stand that much spl? I can stand more than anyone I have ever met (when I turn my system up, everyone leaves and complains) but I can't do more than 125dB or so, and that for very short periods of time. I see people posting here saying they go to clubs that are 150dB and sit in there cars for 160dB, I don't know you do it and keep your ears functioning.

Here goes some of the bass craziness in cars, and take into mind the meter they are using averages your top 5 frequencies and averages again for the 30 second run.. so in reality that would be closer to 165 or so db if the radio shack meter could read that high...

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b6...Picture233.flv
post #115 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

So... threw in a couple demo disks. Had the cartoon one on while my daughter was with me. I definitely need adjustments. What does a big, ugly CLACK sound mean? . Turned the gain way down on the amp and the output on the receiver. Got it sounding pretty good, but damn you gotta watch the levels between clips. I was watching for 'clipping' on the amp (EP2500) and didn't see red lights, so... Not sure if I'm really impressed, but I need a lot more testing and setting.

post #116 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Bass Enabler

Damn! Did you bottom it out already? How big is your room again? Maybe you just need another one...or three.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #117 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

You definitely will bottom that driver out before the amp clips, especially if the content is below your tuning. I you use a 15Hz hp filter, you will be able to run the sub much hotter without worrying about bottoming out.
post #118 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

You definitely will bottom that driver out before the amp clips, especially if the content is below your tuning. I you use a 15Hz hp filter, you will be able to run the sub much hotter without worrying about bottoming out.

One of the reasons I tuned so low (11hz tune). I wanted my twins to be as "bottomless" as possible. If you run my alignment in Unibox...they both can take a full 700-800w >10hz and still have some mechanical excursion to spare.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #119 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah but each of those drivers will bottom with as little as less than 200watts if you start to get into single digit content, no ported sub is bottomless or even near bottomless, If you want to be able to turn them up and not worry about them, you need a SS filter.
post #120 of 217 Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

The amp pushes 2400W in bridged mono, which is what I'm running. Scared the sh!t outta me. I mashed the remote control buttons so fast that I set the DVD back to the menu .

Had the gain at about 24dB and the output on the receiver at +10dB. Toooooo much juice. Off to play some more

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page