Forum Jump: 

post #1681 of 1767 Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

I could possibly get within 2 feet of the front wall and the cabs can be rotated up to 90 degrees in that position.

Robert I would say yes, definitely try them there facing forward or angled to your listening position.

I have three subs. Two are in front beside my right and left speakers and one is on the side pointed toward my listening position. I don't use them all all of the time. My sealed sub sounds more realistic with music, but they pressurize the room pretty well for movies.

If I walk around the house when they are all firing, there are various buzzes and rattles in different areas. But it is not noticeable when you are sitting in the listening position because the subs drown that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1767 Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
There's also the method (name escapes me at the moment) where you put a sub in the listening position and listen at various candidate sub locations; when you find it you and the sub trade places.

Not sure what happens w/multiple subs; maybe just pick the two best spots you found.

Noah
post #1683 of 1767 Old 11-22-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Or do the real sub crawl method and put them in your main listening position and walk/crawl around the room listening for the best spot. That may work well.

I think that's what brandonnash was talking about. The sub crawl.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #1684 of 1767 Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

There's also the method (name escapes me at the moment) where you put a sub in the listening position and listen at various candidate sub locations; when you find it you and the sub trade places.

Not sure what happens w/multiple subs; maybe just pick the two best spots you found.

Would be extremely hard to get cabs on that riser with them being so heavy. I really would like to do that, but A ton of weight in the center of my 2nd floor is not what I want to do.
post #1685 of 1767 Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 839
after going back several pages, i couldn't find the most recent frequency response at the listening position. can you repost/point me to the post with it?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1686 of 1767 Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
"I think that's what brandonnash was talking about. The sub crawl."

Right; sorry, I was skimming.

Reciprocity is what it's called.

"Would be extremely hard to get cabs on that riser with them being so heavy. "

Ought to work with a smaller sub w/similar freq resp.

Noah
post #1687 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

after going back several pages, i couldn't find the most recent frequency response at the listening position. can you repost/point me to the post with it?

I need to redo the measures since I rebooted my computer. Soon.

Thanks,

Robert
post #1688 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"I think that's what brandonnash was talking about. The sub crawl."

Right; sorry, I was skimming.

Reciprocity is what it's called.

"Would be extremely hard to get cabs on that riser with them being so heavy. "

Ought to work with a smaller sub w/similar freq resp.

Tough call on smaller sub w/ similar response. I am in the process of planning a little something and one way or another, I will have something going. Almost finished redoing my rental that was trashed for the last couple months. Then, I will be able to swing back to the HT stuff.

I am still interested in the Mal 18". Good deal with the amp special.Any thoughts on the FACE amps in the deal price?
post #1689 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I need to redo the measures since I rebooted my computer. Soon.
Thanks,
Robert

btw, i'm not look'n to pick nits. just curious what you were seeing.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1690 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

\\

Do you mean my impression of the graph?
post #1691 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is one of the graphs.
Photobucket

I was fairly happy with the outcome of the graphing sessions I had since the graphs really fairly tracked what the winisd program calculated when I was planning. But, when I posted my grahs, I was not met with any really good comments, so I guess there is something wrong or off in my measurements or design. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert
post #1692 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is one of the graphs.

IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee292/robertcharles123/averageofallmeasurestodayatcenterca.jpg[/IMG]

I was fairly happy with the outcome of the graphing sessions I had since the graphs really fairly tracked what the winisd program calculated when I was planning. But, when I posted my grahs, I was not met with any really good comments, so I guess there is something wrong or off in my measurements or design. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert
post #1693 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #1694 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

it's coming through a-o-k robert,

holy crap. that looks awesome robert! what is all the banter about???

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1695 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's coming through a-o-k robert,

holy crap. that looks awesome robert! what is all the banter about???

Because of the roll off at the low end. In the position my cabs are in, I do not get the massive room gain in the listening position down low. Although it seems that the bass levels are absolutely phenomenal at the screen area. I am going to move the cabs forward soon. I have a few friends lined up to help move them and we will see what happens. I am very happy with the sound as is, but I would like to see if there is a way to get that magical flat line to single digits. I would also like to experience one of these systems for myself to see what or if I am missing anything. All I know is I am happy with the outcome of my build so far. It can only get better as I finish the HT upgrades-amps and electrical and placement.

????
post #1696 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

the null points are most likely room artifacts that could be at least in part amelioriated with some good bass traps. http://www.gikacoustics.com/ the nulls are high enough up that bass traps of reasonable size may actually help. gik may be able to help you out for a couple hundred bucks...chump change in your system. most every room has null points. not every room has the headroom of yours. overall, yours is definitely a top 5 of all time on avs (though with all the recent horn builds, you will have some competition). :-)

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1697 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am very happy with the sound as is, but I would like to see if there is a way to get that magical flat line to single digits. I would also like to experience one of these systems for myself to see what or if I am missing anything. All I know is I am happy with the outcome of my build so far. It can only get better as I finish the HT upgrades-amps and electrical and placement.

????

oh, i see. well, a drop in frequency response that low is just something sucking the energy out of your system. plug up your windows, doors, hvac...trade your wood flooring for concrete and your drywall over studs for solid rock and you will get down to single digits no prob. however, your modal peaks/dips will become worse, so overall, who knows if you will be ahead or not. ok, that was a long winded way of saying that low frequency dips are energy losses and that may not be a bad thing.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1698 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh, i see. well, a drop in frequency response that low is just something sucking the energy out of your system. plug up your windows, doors, havc...trade your wood flooring for concrete and your drywall over studs for solid rock and you will get down to single digits no prob. however, your modal peaks/dips will become worse, so overall, who knows if you will be ahead or not. ok, that was a long winded way of saying that low frequency dips are energy losses and that may not be a bad thing.

I did a little experimenting the other night. I played some sine waves and the Danley fireworks. this was the first time I actually put myself in the front of the room when program material was being played. The "feel" was very intense. It felt like the floor was "waving" under my feet and the pressure was probably too much. But, in listening position, the sound and feel seems more natural and probably more like it would be outside without the room gain involved. Definitely a different experience going from listening position to screen area. The more I think about it, I might be better off as it is, but I would like to have options for the free lunch everyone is talking about

???
post #1699 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

did you see that i caught the danley fireworks clip as clipped? bogons apparently were at work. td indicated that he would repost the non-inverted, non-clipped file shortly.

low frequency sound typically builds near walls and corners, so that is probably what you were feeling.

if you want a little bump in frequency response to nudge your system into single digits, why not just put in a little eq? surely your system has PLENTY of headroom for a little boost down low. personally, i'd say you have things locked up as is.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #1700 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

did you see that i caught the danley fireworks clip as clipped? bogons apparently were at work. td indicated that he would repost the non-inverted, non-clipped file shortly.

low frequency sound typically builds near walls and corners, so that is probably what you were feeling.

if you want a little bump in frequency response to nudge your system into single digits, why not just put in a little eq? surely your system has PLENTY of headroom for a little boost down low. personally, i'd say you have things locked up as is.

Thanks for the encouragement. It would be nice to have a few people who actually know what is what to personally hear or feel my setup so I could get some direction. Hopefully, some interst can be generated for a GTG. I was hoping to be done with some things around Mardi Gras. Maybe that could entice some interest for a really really southern GTG. I would be more than glad to put it together. I would also like to get that Danley sub in the mix so everyone would be able to get a peak at it.
post #1701 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I can safely say that the Danley sub is heavy enough that if you were to have a gtg I probably wouldn't bring it unless I had another guy with me to load it up. When I move it around now I have to put all my weight to it to push it around my room. Hard to do on my own and the wife got tired of helping me after I moved it the second time.
post #1702 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Rob,

You won't get that flat to single digits response without sealed subs. You have a resonant alignment with a 14hz tune. It will drop off from there. You don't want to boost below that point either. I would not worry about the <10-12hz stuff.

Also your graph appears to have a lot of smoothing on it. Looks good otherwise though.
post #1703 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Rob,

You won't get that flat to single digits response without sealed subs. You have a resonant alignment with a 14hz tune. It will drop off from there. You don't want to boost below that point either. I would not worry about the <10-12hz stuff.

Also your graph appears to have a lot of smoothing on it. Looks good otherwise though.

The graph is all I have since I rebooted my computer, but I do know it is listening position. As far as the alignment, I planned on doing some sealed and testing the waters with that to see if the graph changes at all. I am not going to be building anything with such detail, but the drivers will be of the right kind and the volume of the box will be correct. If I get the same sort of response curve, then I know the room is at fault. I definitely want to do some kind of A to B comparison in that room with what I already have to see what comes of it.
post #1704 of 1767 Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Kyle,

I seem to think that the noise I was hearing in the driver was and is caused by something in the system. I tried to hook up REW again and the noise was traveling from one cab to the next and it came and went. That is a good and bad thing. It is not in the drivers because it sounded the same when it was coming from the other cab. Both cabs are feeding off of the same LFE out on the Integra processor. It is that or the crossover or amp or wires in between. I definitely think the drivers are not the culprit.

Thanks,

Robert
post #1705 of 1767 Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Still around Robert? Haven't heard from you in a bit.
post #1706 of 1767 Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Would be extremely hard to get cabs on that riser with them being so heavy. I really would like to do that, but A ton of weight in the center of my 2nd floor is not what I want to do.

Sorry Charles, but I keep picturing you placing one of your large subs on your couch and crushing the couch.
post #1707 of 1767 Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Saints are now Super Bowl champs! This town is rocking!

Anyone coming to mardi gras?
post #1708 of 1767 Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That was a good game!

I thought Drew Breeze should have won the regular season MVP but a Super Bowl win and SB MVP are a nice consolation prize

Congrats to the Who Dat nation!

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1709 of 1767 Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Where have you been Robert? Haven't been on in months.
post #1710 of 1767 Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Been repairing my rental from the freaks I got out of there. Also, I've been on a serious
Training binge and I dropped from 296 to my current weight of 243. My goal is 215 by july 4th. Lots of training and no time to do much of anything else. I got tired of being
overweight and sloppy. I just need to get to the bottom and try to maintain.
Anyway, the city is crazy right now and we are going to have a party for the next couple weeks with Mardi Gras and the Super Bowl. We are going to the Saints parade
tomorrow. It is going to be really crazy.

Thanks to all,

Robert

We Ain't the Aint's no more!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Qsc Rmx5050 Power Amplifier New , Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page