4 18" 5400's powered by 2 qsc rmx 5050's - Page 59 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 1767 Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When is the next GTG? I am more then ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1767 Old 05-16-2011, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Long time no talk!

There was just a gtg in kansas city on Saturday. Check the subwoofer forum for results and such. As far as another one I'm planning a meet for the fall sometime. Not sure if I'm going to emphasize subwoofers or speakers though. Subs just seem more fun.
post #1743 of 1767 Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It's alive!

Damn Rob how have you been?
post #1744 of 1767 Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Back in the saddle again!

I have been really busy as of late. I am wrapping up a few projects and hope to be getting some of my HT objectives along with piled up projects out of the way.

I have been doing a lot of rock concerts lately- Rush in Houston last night(Do I even have to elaborate) as well as Asia 2 weeks before and in Atlanta last week.

Man, I have to say, I got into this HT thing over 18 years ago. I started as a youngster in audio and was interested in all the audio gear I could find. My thing is mostly the audio aspect of things and the video is just starting to kick in more. That said, I have always just been in awe at all of the products avaiable. I remember the first time I saw the Klipsch Khorn- I was ten and it was just the most beautiful speaker I had ever seen. Those big cabinets ruled my thoughts and when I was 17, I bought a pair and had no place to put them. I installed them at a dear friend of mine's house and enjoyed every moment that they were there. I am still enjoying them now. Long winded, I know, but all the while, I have been collecting speakers, cabinets, amps, eq's, cables, turntables, and any other thing both new and vintage I can get my hands on. I have been reading lots of posts in many threads touting which this or that is better than the other, but for me
It is different. I seem to see and hear the beauty in almost any audio device. Sometimes, for no reason at all, I go upstairs and turn on my Marantz 10b tuner and light up the old crown 300a or the dynaco stereo 400 and just let the turntable or even the old sony single disc player cruise though some of the tunes I grew up on. Then there are the days that I want to rip the back of someone's head and fire up the LMS's and the HT they reside in and just watch the faces of the viewers as they try to figure out exactly what the heck is going on in that room. I have a new toy that I enjoy more and more every day. I bought a radio from Rigid that uses the 3 batteries I have in my tool kit and the only reason I bought it was so that I would never have to buy batteries for a radio again- they are lifetime warranty. The thing was worth the few bucks because of the convenience of use, the ability to use something I alread own to power it and the ability to plug my phone or ipod right to it. Lots of rambling, but neccessary to make my point. I think too much is being made today of throwing out the old and just getting new for the sake of upgrading. Most of my purchases in my lifetime have been for the sake of the cool factor, but I have found that true enjoyment in this hobby stems from the joy that the time spent with each component can bring back the feelings that we had when we first heard that song. When I see a nostalgic piece of equipment that someone just tosses out because the newest 18.2 channel system just came out at CVS, I generally scavenge it up and give it a good spit shine and plug it in. The smile that comes across my face is hard to explain as the electricity flows though that discarded "trash" and produces some of the most pleasant sounds one can imagine. I guess that is why I buy old houses and fix them. I do not see a tear down or an impossible task. I see the finished product in my head the moment I pull up to the front yard. We live in a world of new and better is the norm--I happen to feel that there are lots of things out there that can bring us joy even if it has a little dust on it.

Hope to hear from ya'll!

Robert
post #1745 of 1767 Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey Robert!

Always good to have you around.

I like the vintage stuff as well, probably the reason why I have a hard time finally selling off older items. I also like distressed homes, there is a real sense of pride when you finally finish it and people can't believe it's the same house. It's always good to have a vision of what it will be in regards to real estate.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #1746 of 1767 Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of the vintage stuff I love. Speakers lead the way on that. My near 30 year old klipsch la scalas are proof of that. I am constantly looking for good deals of older stuff.
post #1747 of 1767 Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Right about the time my HT is complete, most of my new stuff will be vintage!
post #1748 of 1767 Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Some of the vintage stuff I love. Speakers lead the way on that. My near 30 year old klipsch la scalas are proof of that. I am constantly looking for good deals of older stuff.

By the way, how is that Danley working for you?

I would not mind giving it a demo if I get back that way.

Thanks,

Robert
post #1749 of 1767 Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Still chugging along nicely. I have since changed direction with that room and made it more of a game room. Lots of pictures and trophies up. I have to keep it real calm. Most of the time I don't have the Danley turned on. Drives my wife crazy when its on but I don't mind as most of my viewing is TV. I am going to buy these things that I believe are called quake clips for my pictures. They attach to the wire backing of a picture frame and actually clamp down instead of just letting the pic hang. This should keep all the pictures on the walls but I will need to also put some non slip material under the trophies to keep them from falling off shelves.

Come back by any time. Just let me know the next time you're up this way.
post #1750 of 1767 Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Robert-
I can really appreciate your perspective on things! Bravo!
post #1751 of 1767 Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got back from Aerosmith concert. It was fabulous. I was let down when I went to see them a few years back in Atlanta, but this show was spot on!
post #1752 of 1767 Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

Robert-
I can really appreciate your perspective on things! Bravo!

Thanks!
post #1753 of 1767 Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Just got back from Aerosmith concert. It was fabulous. I was let down when I went to see them a few years back in Atlanta, but this show was spot on!

How were your seats, how was the sound? What type of venue, arena?

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #1754 of 1767 Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

we sat to the left of the stage midway up in the New Orleans Arena. They were really good last night. The sound was not as powerful as it was when I saw them last in Atlanta, but that show was cut short because of the problems Tyler had a few years back. This show made up for it. I would recommend the show if you get a chance. Cheap Trick played a good set, but I would have been more impressed had they played a bunch more of the hits like they did when they played with Def Leppard. We saw Rush last weekend in Houston and it was fabulous. Go see them if they are even anywhere close. Also, Asia in Atlanta 2 weeks ago. It was like I was 14 again!! I just enjoy Asia to death.

Good Luck,

Robert
post #1755 of 1767 Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Recently, I have been asked to give a comparison of the JBL 2241h and the LMS 5400's. My comparison will have to more subjective than what most of us on this forum are used to. The 2241 is a world renowned driver that is used in dance clubs, theaters, houses of worship and anywhere concert level performance is demanded. The 2241 has an xmax of 7.6 mm and an xmech of 40 mm p-p. Driven with the correct crossover, signal and power, the 2241h will deliver performance that is second to none. The following article will shed some light on the effects of efficiency and the use of the correct crossover and powe rutilization.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/pa.htm

Now, the LMS 5400 is a different beast altogether. I have been the proud owner of these drivers since 2007. I bought them when they were pretty much first introduced. I wondered if I made the correct decision, but Ilkka's tests confirmed that my suspicions about how good these drivers are were definitely true. As I was getting finished my actual build, I went to a GTG, and there,
I met Josh Ricci, Brandon Nash, Ivan from Danley and a host of other AV guys whom I hope to keep learning from as the years go by. At this meet, I saw Josh push the LMS to a limit that I only saw on youtube videos. I have yet to come close to excursions that I witnessed that day, but the sound and feel that comes from those cabinets is hard to describe. My HT is on the second floor of my home and there have been times when I felt as if I was being tossed around on a boat in a rolling ocean. It has felt as if my house was actually swaying from side to side. I am sure that I could get the same kind of performance from multiples of other woofers- especially the XXX or the Fi's or any of the recent 18's on the market. But, and this is a big but!! But, there is something about seeing these massively built, very musical drivers sitting in your room one day and then at some distant time being coupled to enclosures that were built with care that has never been given to any other item in my life. I explained the development of this system since 2001. Initially, I was just going to go with some old 15's I had around and build an LFE in seating around the room, but that idea was squashed as time went on. I moved on the Montey Kay's idea of the Bully woofer in multiples as well as the Titanic 15". I knew nothing of these omonster drivers. Finally, one day, I searched extreme subwoofers and found a huge number of drivers. The one I was leaning toward was the Acoupower 18 in multiples of 4. I was about to pull the trigger and then I saw the TC Sounds driver line. I was tossing around multiples of this or that and the Acoupowers kept coming back to me. I spoke with Carlos of Acoupower and Kind of felt something was a little off when he answered the phone when I called at about 2 am my time just to see if it was a real business. Well, It took a while and all those hours of deliberating led me to just taking the plunge and going for the LMS 5400. It was still in its infancy- not far from the times it was being crumpled and destroyed by overzealous SPL guys. My drivers are the Titanium cone versions. From what I hear, they are very strong. Well, I do not want to find out how strong they truly are as I am happy knowing that they will be in there little home for years to come. Not saying that I do not flex their mighty muscles from time to time, but my true joy comes from knowing that I have some of the finest drivers in the world and if they are asked to show off from time to time they will be able to do so. I know there are systems that supposedly test louder or lower, but this is my system and I am proud of it, just as each owner is proud of their respective systems. DIY is a learning process and no matter how much time and effort we put into this hobby, someone else is going to come along with a bigger and badder system. We must learn to be happy with our achievements and if we choose to add more "stuff" it is for the reason that we are getting enjoyment from the hobby and not trying to change just because somebody has the new thing on the block. I look through these forum threads and I am very impressed with all of the skills that each person possess. I get tons of ideas but some would have to be used only if I tore out a bunch of already built stuff. So, I enjoy the systems put forth and very much would love to experience the performance for myself. I can only imagine the output and level of workmanship that goes into some of these systems. Long winded and I need to go out seeing the lights with the kids, so, I will wrap up by saying I am pleased with every purchase I have made. Yes, I could have bought more or less or bigger or better, but I bought what made me happy at the time and after tons of reading and "seeing" the final product. I am about 90% on my HT, so I will be done one of these days. Till then, I will keep cranking and reading the forums in search of the HOLY GRAIL of audio and video as all of us seem to be doing.

Good luck,

Robert
post #1756 of 1767 Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RUSH in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

It is about time!!!!

Saw them last week and they are a magnificent group.

Bravo!!
post #1757 of 1767 Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

RUSH in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

It is about time!!!!

Saw them last week and they are a magnificent group.

Bravo!!
post #1758 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 10
hey robert charles,
been a while i heard you finally built those monster speakers and they look like two refrigerators would be great to hear a demo one day.........
how awsome can they really sound ???? let me know..
post #1759 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB2112 View Post

hey robert charles,
been a while i heard you finally built those monster speakers and they look like two refrigerators would be great to hear a demo one day.........
how awsome can they really sound ???? let me know..

Hey Keith,

Anytime you want to give a listen, let me know. Did you ever get the house finished. How about the sub you were thinking about. There is a new driver everyone is using and I have a couple. It is a Stereo Integrity 18 and I think it will serve you well.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #1760 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM

robert

thanks for that sub. tip yes im done with the house with the exception of subs... trying to diagram and stablize an odd size box...
primary sub is going to be a triangle about the size of some klipsch k-horns 2 passive and 1active sub.... in box still in works...

P.s. thanks for the invite might need to take you up on it so i can let them know how awsome it is .. if it is as great as i heard...
post #1761 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

robert

thanks for that sub. tip yes im done with the house with the exception of subs... trying to diagram and stablize an odd size box...
primary sub is going to be a triangle about the size of some klipsch k-horns 2 passive and 1active sub.... in box still in works...

P.s. thanks for the invite might need to take you up on it so i can let them know how awsome it is .. if it is as great as i heard...

Cool, keep in touch. I think you might have a few sub options available , and there are a ton of guys on here building many of them now. In a couple of weeks, we will see some new stuff being tested and you might be surprised at how good they truly are. I have 2 of the drivers if you want to give them a look. I can't show you the LMS because it will never be taken out that box unless it has to be, but you will be impressed with the looks and price of the SI driver.

Keep cranking,

Robert

Hey, does your brother still DJ?
post #1762 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM

robert
both subs look great on paper but we will see if they preform just the same.If so , I might need to purchase some myself..

I want something that will rock the house..
post #1763 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

robert
both subs look great on paper but we will see if they preform just the same.If so , I might need to purchase some myself..

I want something that will rock the house..

Multiples of the SI's will be fairly cheap, but more space for each driver will be needed in order to get close to what the LMS will do in a smaller box, but the LMS needs more power, so it willl cost more both ways. The SI's are cheap and do not need the crazy power to get them going, but multiples will still nedd about 600 watts each.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #1764 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM

robert ,
So what are the SI drivers being used for/?? and
what amps are used to power up these new LMS subs ? what is suffiecient for the optimum preformance on the speaker...
post #1765 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

robert ,
So what are the SI drivers being used for/?? and
what amps are used to power up these new LMS subs ? what is suffiecient for the optimum preformance on the speaker...

I am using Crown Itech 8000 amplifiers for LFE. You can use virtually any commercial amplifier that will deliver 500-600 watts for each driver.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #1766 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM

hey robert,
saw that great cad design of youur predesign for your subs ....
might need to do the same to finish my box for the right speaker enclosure ..
Its great to experiment with calculations but even with that. it looks more impressive in cad for dimentional views
of compinsation of over calculation only....
post #1767 of 1767 Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey robert,
saw that great cad design of youur predesign for your subs ....
might need to do the same to finish my box for the right speaker enclosure ..
Its great to experiment with calculations but even with that. it looks more impressive in cad for dimentional views
of compinsation of over calculation only....

I am not the Sketch up artist, That was done for me by NEODan. He was a real help in getting my final design on the paper as a blueprint.

Keep cranking,

Robert
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Qsc Rmx5050 Power Amplifier New , Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page