Project Quick, Easy & Cheap – IXL18.4 LLT - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 193 Old 07-17-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When you are done,and have the sub ready...pop in Rambo 4 The Return of The Body Count and play the jolly scene near the end where Rambo cuts the belly of the happy camper...and mows down the congregation.

I never had so much fun,what a hilarious scene!!!

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 Old 07-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth_davies View Post

WOW, that enclosure turned out stunning mate, KUDOS!!

Bummer on the defective LF unit, but ...........

I must say that the display of customer service from mach5 and Mark is excellent.

This was one of the deciding factors for me also in choosing drivers, I have been in contact with Mark, and can confirm that even late in the evening he was very quick to respond to a general enquiry of mine regarding shipment to Mexico! Plus it was an amazing price including this LONG haul shipping.

I will be building the same size enclosure, but I will be using BB for mine.
I will start a new thread once things are in hand, and look forward to recieving comments and help , should the need arise.

Regards,
Gareth

Yeah, it shows just how much of a life I have...

You guys are crazy....
post #183 of 193 Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

I was kinda thinking sealed.... 2 12 cf boxes might be a little overbearing

Hehe. I am running 2 ixl18.4's each in their own sealed 4.5cu.ft box.
My room is 13x26.
My room literally pukes bass(good thing) when it's called upon.
I do strongly recommend 2 seperate enclosures though for optimum room placement.
1 on each side wall 1/3 along the way.

Mike

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
post #184 of 193 Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post

Yup. Mark from Mach5 is an awesome person to deal with.
I use to think his name was Mr. Ogowski. lol lol

Mike

btw. I consider their drivers the Corvette of the subwoofers. Amazing product for an amazing price.

Interesting claim.
Being a Corvette owner myself, thought it was a interesting comparison.

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
post #185 of 193 Old 07-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post

Hehe. I am running 2 ixl18.4's each in their own sealed 4.5cu.ft box.
My room is 13x26.
My room literally pukes bass(good thing) when it's called upon.
I do strongly recommend 2 seperate enclosures though for optimum room placement.
1 on each side wall 1/3 along the way.

Mike

Whats your low end responce with this setup? how strongly do you EQ the bottom end?

I think we're the demons.
post #186 of 193 Old 07-25-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
So Mark, my new best friend over at Mach5Audio hooked me up with a new IXL18.4 replacing the driver that was ruined by the shippers :/. As stated in an earlier post, Mark's customer service is second to none. He really took excellent care of me.

With the new IXL18.4 now installed, all I have to say is WOW.

The tactile pressure felt deep down into the teens is sensational to say the least. 15 - 45hz sign sweeps deliver the same oscillation feeling that I have grown for in the car audio days providing ample "cloth shaking" sensations throughout your body. I was blown away while watching the the opening scene in Transformers when the helicopter flies by. My pant legs on my Dockers were fluttering.

I threw on a 20hz tone to break in the driver playing it conservatively low. Heading up stairs to grab a drink I realized I had a new problem on my hands. All 3300 sq feet of my 5 level split home was shaking. From windows to door frames to dishes and even the garage door. Laughing, my first thought was "I'm going to need a ton of Dynamat!". My wife now home from work grinned and commented on how it felt like an earthquake.

As they say, there is no replacement for displacement, This thing really moves some serious air. I am so extreamly impressed at how effortlessly this IXL18.4 can drop bottom at high SPL levels without a single sign of stress.

My next steps in the project are to connect my new BFD to it, eqing it with the rest of my system.

I leave you with a few videos I took to augment my feelings about this now finished subwoofer.

I'd like to thank Mark @ Mach5Audio again for your incredibly superb service. If anyone is thinking about building a sub, give Mark a ring. He'll take care of you like nobody else. Thanks again Mark.

Video 1: Excessive rattling all over house caused by Mach5Audio IXL 18.4 LLT. Playing 20hz sinewave. The sound that is heard is not the subwoofer but the rattling throughout the house. The poor quality of this google video doesn't show the mirror vibrating unfortunately. The floor actually flexes.

Video 2: Up close look at driver playing 20hz tone. Again, the Canon camera doesn't pick the low frequency that well, but you can obviously see the nice clean extension this driver has.

Video 3: Rattling door in the same room as LLT, again 20hz tone.

Video 4: More rattling door
post #187 of 193 Old 07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Now you need one more and you will be set. You know while at it add three...with four you start to FEEL the powah.

Then you build a wall..and...each time Mickey Mouse takes a step it sounds like King Kong.

Good to hear you are happy.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #188 of 193 Old 07-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Liked: 48
Whew! I'm glad we got things worked out.

Hope you enjoy it!

Best,
m

You guys are crazy....
post #189 of 193 Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We're redoing the media room and the wife said I'm limited to only 1 large refrigerator size subwoofer in this room so I am keeping the THT and getting rid of this LLT enclosure (keeping the subs for another project)

If you or someone you know lives in central Ohio (Columbus area) and have a good home for the enclosure (not the subwoofer driver) and and can pick it up locally, please let me know. The fixed frame Black Flame Light Fusion projection screen in this picture also has to go too.

Images and specs of enclosure can be found through this thread. Here is what it looks liked finished (on the right):
post #190 of 193 Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

We're redoing the media room and the wife said I'm limited to only 1 large refrigerator size subwoofer in this room so I am keeping the THT and getting rid of this LLT enclosure (keeping the subs for another project)

If you or someone you know lives in central Ohio (Columbus area) and have a good home for the enclosure (not the subwoofer driver) and and can pick it up locally, please let me know. The fixed frame Black Flame Light Fusion projection screen in this picture also has to go too.

Images and specs of enclosure can be found through this thread. Here is what it looks liked finished (on the right):
hey..I was wondering ..what size and ratio of this screen I like it I have a small living room .

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #191 of 193 Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

hey..I was wondering ..what size and ratio of this screen I like it I have a small living room .

94" diagonal 16:9
post #192 of 193 Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post

94" diagonal 16:9
thanks..I have a small space so this may be just right for me...

loves...home theather/music/football:)
post #193 of 193 Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post
I’d like to start off and thank Neo Dan on his thread “IXL 18 meets the ‘Easy Button’ ". This feed one of my objectives which are mentioned below and was my inspiration for this project.. After talking to SteveCallas further I was convinced this would be a perfect little project with some minor modifications to suit my requirements for the build.

.:My Objectives/Requirements:.
As much as Neo Dan’s design is “simple” I wanted to refine it even further, making it even simpler. Less cutting, etc.

My second objective was cost. I wanted to get into the LLT game without spending a fortune. SteveCallas helped me solidify this decision. Thanks.

My last objective was around mobility of materials for construction. As I don’t have a truck or access to anyone with a minivan I wanted to be able to haul all parts/materials with my car.

.:Core Materials:.

1 18” Mach5Audio IXL18.4: Currently one of the best bang of the buck subs available. This facilitated the cost objective. Although there are better drivers, very few are close to this price tag [$235 shipped] and deliver similar performance with as much displacement.

Leaning on NEO Dan’s design I liked the use of MDF over a SonoTube for 1 reason only. Mobility. Back to objective #3. I can transport planks of MDF easily within my car, putting the seats down. A 24” sonotube unfortunately wouldn’t fit.

.: Design :.

Back to the whole “make it easier” objective. My local Home Depot sells pre-cut 48x24 [Actually 49.5x24] sheets of ¾” MDF. Although I own a table saw, having the wood precut with precise measurements IMHO is a head start. Less work of me having to cut them precisely myself + no MDF dust cleanup. Bonus..

So if I use 4 of these sheets for the outer sides I’m going to need 2 additional 24”x22.5” planks for the end pieces. I choose to buy 1 additional precut 48x24 sheet and had Home Depot cut this 49.5” long plank twice yielding 2 22.5x24” end pieces. In and out of Home Depot in 10 mins. Piece of cake, no cutting, no having the wife complain about asking her to “hold the MDF” as I run it through the table saw.. You get the gist..

So to recap, I purchased 5 precut 48x24 [Really 49.5x24”] sheets and used 1 of the 5 sheets utilizing Home Depots saw to cut 2, 24x22.5” end caps.

.:Primitive Paper Design:.
I've spent some time taking the Google SketchUp tutorials but still don't posess the necessary skills that others have. My replacement is pen and paper:

So without displacement of bracing, ports and driver, internal volume is 424.8 liters or 15 cu feet.

After discussion with Steve Callas he recommended an enclosure size of around 400 liters with 3 4” 34” ports tuned to 14hz.

So adding the displacement of the driver and these 3 ports the internal volume Vb stands at 391 liters. (I have still yet to add some bracing which I will equate later)

As for the finish, I really liked tregarza’s final product using a ¼” round over bit and black Dura Color bedliner spray for the final finish. I’ve completed many car audio enclosures using speaker carpet which looks great in an automotive environment but I really seem to think the bedliner spray suits a home theater sub. Regardless of the outer finish, I think it’s going to be hard to disguise a 15 cu foot enclosure.

Here's a pic of Tregarza’s final product using dura color bedliner spray:

I’m planning on powering this sub with an EP2500. This should be ample power with room for growth if I plan to add another one. Where's the best deal going these days for a brand new EP2500?

.:Outstanding Questions:.

1) Where can I find black PVC pipe? My local Home Depot seems to only sell the white stuff. Also, will they cut it to size for me? I've also seen much mention in some threads about Schedule 40 PVC Pipe or "Quick Pipe"? What is this?

2) Which type of liquid nails is everyone using? In my past car audio projects I’ve always used the “Interior Projects” type. Wasn’t sure if there was better stuff more suited for MDF and PVC.

3) As I am planning on purchasing the EP2500, will I need an EQ? Anyone running a Panasonic XR55? Does it have enough preout voltage to feed the EP2500 pro amp? Any suggestions on how to feed the EP2500 from the receiver?

4) T-Nuts or Hurricane nuts or Plain old 1-5/8 drywall screws directly into MDF?

5) Where can I source a cheap plunge router and round over bits? Some of the folks over at fatwallet recommended these cheap bits I was looking at buying the Craftsman 9.5 amp 1-3/4 HP Plunge router which is on sale for $59 until tomorrow. Will this fit the bill or are there better routers out there for the same price or a little more?

6) Bracing.. This is a touchy subject for me. Coming from the car audio world bracing was rarely used and if it was, it was minimal, even for large 20+ cu foot enclosures. Browsing many of the DIY HT forums it's apparent bracing in some cases IMHO looks way overkill for the application. Iggster, if you're reading this, perhaps you can shed some light as I know you're into the DB Drag scene as I was. Anyone got some suggestions on bracing without going overkill?

6) Can the IXL18.4 be oriented in a down firing orientation?

According to Parts Express, here's the formula to calculate sag: Percentage of Sag = 24,849 / ( Xmax * Fs²)

Sag% = 24,849 / (22 * 17.7^2)
Sag% = 24,849 / (22 * 313.29)
Sag% = 24,849 / 6892.38
Sag% = 3.61

Is it true if sag is less than 5% this is suitable for a down firing application?

7) If I do down fire the sub, how much room (gap) should be left between the IXL18.4 sub and the baseplate or floor?

8) In many of my past car audio enclosures where space was a concern, port bends were common, especially in slot ported instances. Hypothetically speaking, How much impact would be brought to this project if I bent the ports in a 90 degree angle?

Last but not least, I welcome everyones ideas and suggestions.
I only quoted this to comment on the price of an MDF sheet. Wow. That's like looking at gas prices when they were $.89 gallon.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page