AVS Forum banner

Ebony and Ivory, dual 18" LMS-5400 Endtables Completed

18K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  jpmst3 
#1 ·

Hey fellow bass-heads!

I just wrapped up my dual sealed TC Sounds 18" LMS-5400 project.

I decided to go with oak endtables this time to match the existing woodwork in my basement HT room.

They are roughly 24" high X 24" wide by 37" deep and weigh in around 200 lbs. each. Sorry the pictures are not the best, but better than nothing. All in all not too bad for my second attempt at woodworking.

Side by side, grills off:

Front with grill on:

Side:

Back:

The flash really makes the 4" casters show when they are turned a certain way. However, you really can't see them in the room. I made the legs a 1/4" short to allow for sliding but still touch the carpeting. That really worked out well. The break in the wood underneath the flushmounted grill is to provide a place to grab it for removal The grills are held on by noedymium magnets which worked great with proper planning. The drivers are recessed 1.5".

I ended up with one titanium cone and one black aluminum. I wish I could have gotten a second titanium cone. Man, it is definitely several times stiffer than the aluminum version, nearly indestructable in comparison.

I can't remember what the cubes are, I think right around 5 cubic feet.

This design allows me to place one nearfield and one in the original corner. Hopefully, I will get some time to really play and take some measurements.

Right now they are being powered by a Crown CE4000 with SMS-1 doing EQ duty. I will be bringing a second CE4000 online shortly. I certainly don't need it in my 1700 cubic foot room, but I will just for fun.

See less See more
#3 ·
Those tables look good.

Excellent job, I really like the caster idea.

Wow...a 1.5" rebate, I am guessing that is enough to keep them out of the grills?

The good news is my wife likes the way those look, so I have a window of opportunity on my project...

Thanks for sharing those pics.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMark /forum/post/12157361

Those tables look good.

Excellent job, I really like the caster idea.

Wow...a 1.5" rebate, I am guessing that is enough to keep them out of the grills?

The good news is my wife likes the way those look, so I have a window of opportunity on my project...

Thanks for sharing those pics.

Thanks!

I figured if I wanted to add another sub, I would have to suplant a piece of furniture. So, voila!

I am sure they could hit the grills under extreme conditions, but it is enough for everything I threw at them so far.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/12157712

Nice! I like the oak. Looks great. Too bad you couldnt get matching cones. I think I like the look of the black aluminum but Im sure the titanium is much better. Oh well, as long as the T/S is the same and they sound similar. Nice pair.
Im sure they rock real good.

Thanks. Ya, this is typical for anything I buy, I guess products in general and continual change. I will the titanium cone out for show since it is really tough to damage that. I could actually bend the aluminum cone by simply pushing from the back side with a finger. The titanium is unbelievably strong in comparison. They should have just powdercoated the titanium cones if you ask me.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12157781

The titanium is unbelievably strong in comparison. They should have just powdercoated the titanium cones if you ask me.

Mmmm... that titanium is sexy stuff. *drool* I got bit by the titanium bug when I was building my road bike and the next thing you know I bought a used Litespeed frame for $1500! How's that for insane?

So I take it those are sealed cabinets? Why did you choose the LMS driver? I can't remember the specifics about it (whether it likes large or small box, vented or sealed, etc), but I know it's supposed to be super low distortion and rather expensive.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp /forum/post/12158483

Mmmm... that titanium is sexy stuff. *drool* I got bit by the titanium bug when I was building my road bike and the next thing you know I bought a used Litespeed frame for $1500! How's that for insane?

So I take it those are sealed cabinets? Why did you choose the LMS driver? I can't remember the specifics about it (whether it likes large or small box, vented or sealed, etc), but I know it's supposed to be super low distortion and rather expensive.

Works really well in small enclosures. Pretty high BL and cost $875 at one time and $1200some another.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by btp /forum/post/12158483

I believe it was some 6+ months ago when JP said he found a guy selling an 18" LMS-5400 locally for around $700. I told him to grab it without question. He liked it so much (and that was with a BKA!) that he decided to pick up another.

Quote:
and cost $875 at one time and $1200some another.

I'd say for much of its life it was $875 shipped. The problem was it wasn't in stock a lot of the time.

#16 ·
Thanks guys!

Yes, they sound fantastic. The Crown definitely made a difference in that regard. A second can only help.

btp, I chose the LMS becasue I was originally seeking the best SQ I could get because I was going after a DD-18. So, I was already prepared to spend some cash so when the original LMS came up I snagged it. I had heard that the SQ was great on the LMS so I figured I would start there and work my way up as I went. After all, it is easier to upgrade the electronics... It works great in small sealed enclosures and that is what I really wanted. I crammed one into a

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX /forum/post/12158546

Beautiful Job! And TWO count em TWO LMS 18" driven by Crown amp. It doesn't get any better than that.

Do you EQ them?

Yep, soon to be two Crowns. Yes, I have the bottom end boosted a little at 15 and 20 to make them flatter. I have to take some time to really dial them in yet and see how things have changed. The response defintiely seems smoother/even with two. We will see.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack /forum/post/12159044

What a great , innovative project and really nice execution. From three sides there is truly no hint that they are AV gear. Did you design them from scratch?

Thanks Tack.

Yes, it just kind of came to me after seeing some of the other projects and the need to add another box but nowhere to put it.

I just took the necessary measurements to get them to match up to my furniture height and depth. The rest I made up as I went along.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12158783

Very glad to hear that you are going to be giving these LMS's their fair share of power, a single BKA is nowhere near what they should have, not much power, lots of distortion compared to what the driver can take.

Agreed.

It was a nice starting point though. Sometimes you need something to compare things to. It really helped in that regard, pluse I got the fun of trying more gear.

If Velo doesn't come out with the upgraded firmware in the next couple of weeks I am going to move to a BFD as well.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/12159776

Your woodworking skills have come a long ways, those guys are really well done, did you brace them as well as your last project?

Thanks!

Yes, they are braced very well. I wish I would have taken some more photos during the process.
The baffles and tops are 1.5" (3" thick if you count the recessed panels) thick and the bottoms are 1 1/4". The sides are only 3/4" but they are so small and have two braces on them. There are magent braces as well. These things are tanks before adding the 80lb driver. That is why I designed them around the height of the heavy duty casters.

#22 ·
Those look great Joe! With the ease of moving them on the casters, do they shake a lot? My next enclosure may have to be living room friendly also, thats a great camouflage. Have you tried cutting the high frequencies rather than boosting the low? I don't remember what EQ you use.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 /forum/post/12160196

Those look great Joe! With the ease of moving them on the casters, do they shake a lot? My next enclosure may have to be living room friendly also, thats a great camouflage. Have you tried cutting the high frequencies rather than boosting the low? I don't remember what EQ you use.

Thanks price!

Well, put it this way, they are "easier" to move. They are still sitting fairly firmly on the floor becasue after a few mintues the casters sink into the carpet/pad and the legs are resting solidly on the floor. The casters help after you kind of lift up to get them started rolling then they move more easily. Once in place they don't move much if any.

I didn't really try cutting the highs since I only need two bands to boost the lows and would need several to cut the highs. I am using an SMS-1.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12159711

btp, I chose the LMS becasue I was originally seeking the best SQ I could get because I was going after a DD-18. So, I was already prepared to spend some cash so when the original LMS came up I snagged it. I had heard that the SQ was great on the LMS so I figured I would start there and work my way up as I went. After all, it is easier to upgrade the electronics... It works great in small sealed enclosures and that is what I really wanted. I crammed one into a

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/12162701

Great Job there jpmst3... Im really excited to get my project with cherrywood going...

Did you just glue all the wood strips together, or did you use dowels...

Looks beautiful.. congrats !!!

Thanks Warp!

On some things I used biscuits, some scews and glue, and others just glue/liquid nails. It just really depends on how accessible the back side was on what I needed to attach.

What are you planning on building?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.