what speakers will work best - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey everyone,
i am planing to do a speaker build for my room. my receiver will be a marantz sr7000 (not going to use the video at all). i only plan on building 2 mains, a center and a sub later on. the speakers will be used mostly for music with some moves mixed in, maybe 80% music.

the room that i will be putting them in a pretty small room, i don't have the exact dimensions right now but it is basically a small bedroom. the whole system will be run through my computer so i will only about 6 feet away from the main and center speakers. i was wondering if there is any speakers out there that i could model mine after that would work sitting that close to. i was planing on using a bookshelf but don't have my heart set on anything.

do you guys even think that it is possible to get a speaker to work in such close quarters, and if so can you point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Check out this site www.zaphaudio.com lots of great designs and information
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Speakers with usual, full BSC (baffle step compensation) will not work in your situation (i.e., small room and close listening position). Check out my RS180 2-way with a reduced BSC option.

-jAy
post #4 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

so is that what i need a reduced bsc that will make the speakers sound right?
post #5 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

The closer you are to speakers, the more of bass and lower midrange you hear from them. Think of an extreme case: headphones. When you listen to them on your ears, you hear bass, but if you listen far from them, you'll only hear treble. Also, in a small room the bass and lower midrange level is increased by boundary gain, and this is more so if you place speakers close to walls and on a rack or something. This is why you need a less amount of baffle step compensation. You can achieve this by changing a few components in my crossover schematic. The necessary changes are shown in the figure under "Reduced baffle step compensation option." Let me know if you have any questions.

-jAy
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page