Klipsch raw drivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know who is building Klipschs' drivers? I would like to buy their drivers because of the pure efficency factor. If I can find where to get them before they get the Klipsch name branded on them, I am sure I can save a few dollars. If not, I wouldn't be opposed to buying raw drivers with the Klipsch branding.

I am building my my own cabinets, so it's undesirable to buy their speakers and remove the drivers.

If anyone has any other recomendation of a solid horn and very efficient (must be poly) mid driver, I would be happy to listen to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

You needn't bother with trying to buy raw Klipsch drivers. There are better options in the DIY market.

Quote:

If anyone has any other recomendation of a solid horn and very efficient (must be poly) mid driver, I would be happy to listen to them.

What is your budget?
post #3 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Listen to will, Klipsch has nothing on many of the speakers that are built around here for around the same pricing
post #4 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well it was a simple question I thought. I like the sound and the efficiency (not to mention looks) of the Klipsch products. I wouldn't be dissappointed if Santa left me a set of their reference towers and I have bought several pairs of the KLF line, years ago.

With that said, I am not all that into writing checks and would rather have some creative input in my system. My theory was to buy the same thing Klipsch does, and put it in my own enclosure, and I would be super happy.

I don't want to go to the store and buy their stuff, paying for an enclosure I am not going to use (not to mention the tons of markup).

I want to build a set of towers first, I already have the RC-64 center channel (paid $89 for at an auction), so something similar to the RF-83's seem ideal. I'd like to build the towers for less than $600 for all the drivers, but I could spend $400 or $800. It's not set in stone. What is set in stone is how efficent they need to be, low power, big output.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Klipsch is part of a pretty big corporation, I'd think they probably build there own drivers.

I would love to get my hands on the current Kef UniQ or B&W kevlar drivers to measure just to see how they stack up...

~Brandon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Klipsch uses (and has since the mid 1950s) kind'a lowball drivers, not at all bad but certainly not the quality of high efficiency drivers from JBL, GPA, Radian, B&C and Beyma, to name a few. I know lots of DIY hornys and NONE are interested in using Klipsch drive units, nor do I know a source for them.

Now in the late 1940s-early 1950s ole PWK used some nice drivers from Western Electric, EV and Stephens but he soon fell back on lesser quality stuff from University, Atlas, CTS and Eminence. He stuck with an EV tweeter though for a long time. Not a very good one IMO or EV's best but still an EV.

Most of the modern Klipsch consumer horn-drivers have their ancestry in Heppner, a company that made good quality bargain price drivers and horns and that was bought by Klipsch. Back 30 years ago I made some pretty decent sounding DIY speakers with Heppner drivers.

Chad if you want to build your own horn speakers I think there are better (and easier) ways to go than what you're considering, this from a fella that made his first DIY horn speakers in 1970 using JBL-D140 15" woofers from a Fender Dual Showman bottom and Radio Shack horn tweeters.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

Klipsch is part of a pretty big corporation, I'd think they probably build there own drivers.

I would love to get my hands on the current Kef UniQ or B&W kevlar drivers to measure just to see how they stack up...

They don't.

Tom, thanks for the info.

Is there a rule against naming brands and places to purchase these products? It seems there are strong feelings that there is something better, cheaper and easier than the Klipsch drivers, but no one has given me a specific product, company name, or price I'm waiting...
post #8 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Eminence makes some woofer for then like for the lascala,Kornerhorn

Warning to prevent risk of injuries, you should always be smarter than the equipment you are about to use.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 AM

Do you have experience designing crossovers?
post #10 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad McCan View Post

It seems there are strong feelings that there is something better, cheaper and easier than the Klipsch drivers, but no one has given me a specific product, company name, or price I'm waiting...

Chad, there are so many ways to go that it could get rather involved. I can tell you what I'd do in your situation but there's no telling you'd like the same thing.

Simply put I'd build a 2-way using either used Altec drivers and horns or new "Altecs" from Great Plains Audio. For a top end I'd use model 902 1" exit compression drivers on 811B horns. I'd cross at 1200hz to model 416 15" woofers or model 414 12" woofers, depending on the output I wanted and the size of cabinet wanted. IMO between 50hz and 10,000 hz there's no beating Altec (or GPA, who bought the Altec tooling and makes new "Altecs" under the GPA label) for sound quality.

Another good way, and cheaper, would be to build a 2-way around the Parts Express 15" Dayton pro woofer and a 1" exit compression driver by B&C or BMS on a Selenium horn.

Look at the Parts Express website, they have a pretty wide variety of high efficiency woofers and compression drivers and horns. Look under speakers, then under the professional drivers for the woofers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/speakers.cfm
post #11 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 09:09 AM

Liked: 11
Ebay has used Klipsch drivers from time to time. Just gotta keep a look out for them.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Have you check directly with Klipsch because couple years ago i was about to build a set of lascala and i know they do sell woofer for sure, brand new they were about same price as fleabay in most case, i do not know for your particular case but i would try to contact them first. Also i will try to find a link i had, that place sells speakers components from various manufacturers and was called international something and they use to have some klipsch speakers as well time to time, i'll get back to you on this.

Warning to prevent risk of injuries, you should always be smarter than the equipment you are about to use.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Guys,

I think the issue is that the OP thinks Klipsch is the ultimate in sound. No amount of re-education will be effective here because of this mindset.

Although, If these drivers were worth their price. I can only imagine that this forum, and the many others on the net that are dedicated to DIY, would be buzzing about these drivers greatness over other brands like Seas, Peerless, Vifa, etc.

Klipsch replacement drivers and crossovers can be found here:

http://www.partstore.com/Search/Mode...AllModels=true

I have never used this vendor. But they appear to have what he is looking for.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawdad View Post

Guys,

I think the issue is that the OP thinks Klipsch is the ultimate in sound. No amount of re-education will be effective here because of this mindset.

Although, If these drivers were worth their price. I can only imagine that this forum, and the many others on the net that are dedicated to DIY, would be buzzing about these drivers greatness over other brands like Seas, Peerless, Vifa, etc.

Klipsch replacement drivers and crossovers can be found here:

http://www.partstore.com/Search/Mode...AllModels=true

I have never used this vendor. But they appear to have what he is looking for.

I don't know where you get off, but your holy grail isn't mine. If a Corvette makes you happy and you want to know where to buy a 5.7 liter 350, so be it. I am not going to make a post telling you that Chevy isn't the holy grail, and Ford makes a better 5.0 liter, so no reason in talking to you because you won't listen... Ahole.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawdad View Post

Guys,

Well as a user of Altec, GPA, JBL, McCauley and Emilar I kind'a look down my nose at Seas, Peerless, Vifa etc. Most DIYers (and manufacturers) want small and cheap and Seas, Peerless and Vifa certainly supply that.

There's nothing wrong with the OP thinking Klipsch is best, we all have opinions and one's as valid as another. I probably think that what you like is lousy and you may think what I like is lousy.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad McCan View Post

I don't know where you get off, but your holy grail isn't mine. If a Corvette makes you happy and you want to know where to buy a 5.7 liter 350, so be it. I am not going to make a post telling you that Chevy isn't the holy grail, and Ford makes a better 5.0 liter, so no reason in talking to you because you won't listen... Ahole.

Your mom must be proud...

~Brandon

post #17 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post

Well as a user of Altec, GPA, JBL, McCauley and Emilar I kind'a look down my nose at Seas, Peerless, Vifa etc. Most DIYers (and manufacturers) want small and cheap and Seas, Peerless and Vifa certainly supply that.

There's nothing wrong with the OP thinking Klipsch is best, we all have opinions and one's as valid as another. I probably think that what you like is lousy and you may think what I like is lousy.

Thats just a bit over generalizing, regarding Seas anyway. The same goes for some of Peerless' stuff...
post #18 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willd View Post

Thats just a bit over generalizing, regarding Seas anyway. The same goes for some of Peerless' stuff...

Compare any Seas or Peerless treble driver to a JBL 2446 or GPA 399. Like I said, small and cheap. Scanspeak is pretty much the same but at insanely inflated prices.

In any event the Chinese are killing the Europeans in the small cone and dome wars. At a speaker DIY get together a couple of weeks ago I heard small speakers using cheap Chinese drivers that sounded as good to me as anything I've heard using Dynaudio, Morel, Focal or Scanspeak.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

You are right Tom. There is nothing wrong with Chad's wanting what he wants. It was just that everyone was trying to get him to change to something else, and I did not think that was a path Chad wanted to follow.

And to Chad McCan. I don't know how I am being an "A-hole". I am the only one that was "listening" to you and gave a link to what I think you wanted. You came off in earlier posts like we here on this forum are all a bunch of morons for not wanting to build what you are trying to build. or that there was even a competing product that was in the same ball park as Klipsch. I actually applaud your effort of trying to recreate a successful commercial design you admire.

There is a huge depth of experience here on this forum that can take you to places you never dreamed possible if you heed their advice.
post #20 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Chad, Klipsch designes all of thier own stuff and has it made in China for themselfs only.
If you really care about Klipsch, Someone can probably get names of the Chinese venders they use. But honestly, It will be very hard to get them to sell to you. China doest compromise big customers for a couple of drivers

There are some really solid woofers and tweeters for sale on the DIY market, I would honestly start there.

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #21 of 21 Old 12-16-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
If you're hell bent on the Klipsch drivers..... I believe you can source "replacements" directly from Klipsch..... maybe not at a price you'd like but I think you can get just about any of their drivers from them
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page