Four 18" Fi IB Woofer Build Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 94 Old 02-09-2008, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For EQ, personally, I would check out the new one from eD, it looks nice, but it only has 2 filters. IMO this is fine because you really shouldn't be filtering the crap out of your system, rather, you should use adequate room treatments to address your bass response. IMO extensive EQ simply is not the answer to getting good bass response, I'd rather just use the EQ to boost my output to lower my extension and use a SS filter to prevent overexcursion, other than that, if you are doing a dedicated theater, your bass traps should be fixing your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Nut View Post

What to get

4 18 inch Fi IB drivers
1 EQ solution such as Nicks SMS-1, my Rane PE17's or a Behrninger FBD
1 Amplifier, and there are lots of choices.

Check out the Nady XA900 on musicians friend. I use that for four IXL 18's and it doesn't even breathe hard. There is the Behringer amp, and Crown, and QSC, and I like the Tapco Juice series. Picked up two of those on eBay. 1400 watts each and they are very happy with two ohms per side. If you have four of the Fi 18s, I might be willing to part with the Tapcos. You could feed each Fi with 700 watts of heart stopping woofage.

Amp...been done: Crown CE4000
Subs...done: 4 FI 18's
EQ...waiting to see what I am looking at (as far as my room goes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

For EQ, personally, I would check out the new one from eD, it looks nice, but it only has 2 filters. IMO this is fine because you really shouldn't be filtering the crap out of your system, rather, you should use adequate room treatments to address your bass response. IMO extensive EQ simply is not the answer to getting good bass response, I'd rather just use the EQ to boost my output to lower my extension and use a SS filter to prevent overexcursion, other than that, if you are doing a dedicated theater, your bass traps should be fixing your response.

See above. If I am just facing minor problems I will buy that new EQ from ED. Otherwise, I looked into the woofer widget but it's to much and would rather go with a Behringer DEQ2496.

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
post #93 of 94 Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I remember this build! This build and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=13125905 are the reason I got my IB3s! You guys have the triple slug version, mine are only dual slugs.

post #94 of 94 Old Today, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just an update, these subs are still going and still impress the living hell out of me. I just replaced a 1015tx pioneer receiver that finally died from many years of hard service (bought around 2005) with a pioneer elite sc-85 and today was the first time stretching out the legs on the setup. Now with lossless and atmos or Dolby upmixing and the mcacc pro these subs sound even better. Even as old as Transformers is it is still excellent demo material. When ironhide did his somersault I literally had things levitating/bouncing a half inch off the tables in the house lol!!! Everything is a bit quicker and clearer with the higher quality lossless signal from what I can tell ofcourse it could all be a placebo effect. In any event just wanted to chime in that this setup is still blowing my mind around some 10 years after being built with zero hiccups or problems.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs