diy speaker wall mounts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jrb384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but does anyone have any plans or suggestions for diy wall speaker mounts? More specifically I was looking for something that would mount into aluminum. I have an aluminum constructed florida room, the ceiling and walls are 4" insulated panels, and the rest is large 6'x6' windows.

I was looking for a product or diy mount, or any info on what screw type to use to mount into aluminum.

thanks!

jb
jrb384 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Aristo7905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb384 View Post

not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but does anyone have any plans or suggestions for diy wall speaker mounts? More specifically I was looking for something that would mount into aluminum. I have an aluminum constructed florida room, the ceiling and walls are 4" insulated panels, and the rest is large 6'x6' windows.

I was looking for a product or diy mount, or any info on what screw type to use to mount into aluminum.

thanks!

jb

how heavy are your speakers, size, mounting options, rear ported? i dont know to much about this stuff yet, but those are some things that are needed to know.

-J
Aristo7905 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Newbie
 
zeug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you talking about mounting flush in the wall or securing a speaker cabinet to the outside of a wall?

Is you metal framed wall covered with drywall?

Someone here just turned me on to the in wall mounts at parts express. I wish I could post a link but I dont have enough posts yet.

Kent
zeug is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Member
 
mgithens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if you can mount the speakers flush to the surface, you should look into making a french cleat - basically a pair of 2x4s cut with a 45 degree face. You then mount the speaker to one and the other gets bolted to the wall - you can use wood screws, sheet metal screws (in your case), etc - whatever it takes to get it mounted.

I have a 1/4" bathroom board that is my screen in the theater. I used Liquid Nails to mount the screen to the cleats and then just used screws to mount the other 2x4. Works PERFECTLY. Just too easy!!
mgithens is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Newbie
 
cavalencia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great idea, thanks. Here you can find a simple guide to build Wall Mounted supports in metal: ideastosave.blogspot
cavalencia is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
kingpin111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you have heavy speakers these are one of the only type of Heavy Duty mounts I was able to find.
http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-ac...-Duty-Brackets
They worked great and are all steel.. Only $35 a pair and they are adjustable horizontally and vertically. Not DIY but...
I wouldn't mount them to an aluminum stud, but go to a hardware store and get butterfly(toggle bolts) and they will work fine.
I've used toggles to hang up 150lb paintings and pictures.
They will work for this also.





MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
kingpin111 is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Newbie
 
bjacques123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@kingpin111:

Those mounts look nice, but what did you use to adapt their bolt pattern to your speakers? From your pictures, it looks like you have an adapter bracket of some sort. Was that included with your speaker? If not, where did you find it? My speakers have a 2.25" or 4.5" mounting pattern, but they're heavy, so I'd like to use the HTD mounts, since they look beefy enough for them.
bjacques123 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Member
 
turdlepoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacques123 View Post

@kingpin111:

Those mounts look nice, but what did you use to adapt their bolt pattern to your speakers? From your pictures, it looks like you have an adapter bracket of some sort. Was that included with your speaker? If not, where did you find it? My speakers have a 2.25" or 4.5" mounting pattern, but they're heavy, so I'd like to use the HTD mounts, since they look beefy enough for them.

It looks like its a higher end Polk Audio Speaker. I know they use the power port on the rear and it looks as if he attached the bracket to that.

Link to a picture for reference...
http://www.polkaudio.com/images/glob...ort_Detail.jpg
turdlepoker is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stgdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MNsnowta in april :(
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just use a french cleat on all my speakers for wall mounts.

lucky I have built them so they are aimed at the audience
stgdz is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
kingpin111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdlepoker View Post

It looks like its a higher end Polk Audio Speaker. I know they use the power port on the rear and it looks as if he attached the bracket to that.

Link to a picture for reference...
http://www.polkaudio.com/images/glob...ort_Detail.jpg

Correct. I was using them as surrounds so blocking off the port didn't matter much. I was going to drill a hole in the plate, but never ended up doing so.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
kingpin111 is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Newbie
 
bjacques123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm. I still gotta figure something out. I just got a beautiful M&K 750THX system from a work colleague for a total steal. But the front speakers are ~16lbs, and the rears are ~11lbs. I don't want to trust these lovely speakers to a bracket that tops out at say 20lbs (at least the front speakers, especially considering my center channel will probably overhang my plasma by a few inches)...

I may just have to fire up the MIG welder and fab something out of bracket steel... But I would like some adjustability.
bjacques123 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Mrkazador is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
kingpin111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacques123 View Post

Hmmm. I still gotta figure something out. I just got a beautiful M&K 750THX system from a work colleague for a total steal. But the front speakers are ~16lbs, and the rears are ~11lbs. I don't want to trust these lovely speakers to a bracket that tops out at say 20lbs (at least the front speakers, especially considering my center channel will probably overhang my plasma by a few inches)...

I may just have to fire up the MIG welder and fab something out of bracket steel... But I would like some adjustability.

I bet you those brackets I mentioned can handle double their weight easily.
This all depends on how you mount the speaker to the bracket though.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
kingpin111 is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off