diy speaker wall mounts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but does anyone have any plans or suggestions for diy wall speaker mounts? More specifically I was looking for something that would mount into aluminum. I have an aluminum constructed florida room, the ceiling and walls are 4" insulated panels, and the rest is large 6'x6' windows.

I was looking for a product or diy mount, or any info on what screw type to use to mount into aluminum.

thanks!

jb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb384 View Post

not sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but does anyone have any plans or suggestions for diy wall speaker mounts? More specifically I was looking for something that would mount into aluminum. I have an aluminum constructed florida room, the ceiling and walls are 4" insulated panels, and the rest is large 6'x6' windows.

I was looking for a product or diy mount, or any info on what screw type to use to mount into aluminum.

thanks!

jb

how heavy are your speakers, size, mounting options, rear ported? i dont know to much about this stuff yet, but those are some things that are needed to know.

-J
post #3 of 13 Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 AM

Are you talking about mounting flush in the wall or securing a speaker cabinet to the outside of a wall?

Is you metal framed wall covered with drywall?

Someone here just turned me on to the in wall mounts at parts express. I wish I could post a link but I dont have enough posts yet.

Kent
post #4 of 13 Old 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM

if you can mount the speakers flush to the surface, you should look into making a french cleat - basically a pair of 2x4s cut with a 45 degree face. You then mount the speaker to one and the other gets bolted to the wall - you can use wood screws, sheet metal screws (in your case), etc - whatever it takes to get it mounted.

I have a 1/4" bathroom board that is my screen in the theater. I used Liquid Nails to mount the screen to the cleats and then just used screws to mount the other 2x4. Works PERFECTLY. Just too easy!!
post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Great idea, thanks. Here you can find a simple guide to build Wall Mounted supports in metal: ideastosave.blogspot
post #6 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you have heavy speakers these are one of the only type of Heavy Duty mounts I was able to find.
http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-ac...-Duty-Brackets
They worked great and are all steel.. Only $35 a pair and they are adjustable horizontally and vertically. Not DIY but...
I wouldn't mount them to an aluminum stud, but go to a hardware store and get butterfly(toggle bolts) and they will work fine.
I've used toggles to hang up 150lb paintings and pictures.
They will work for this also.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

My speaker build. "PROJECT OVERKILL" WWMTMSS
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM

@kingpin111:

Those mounts look nice, but what did you use to adapt their bolt pattern to your speakers? From your pictures, it looks like you have an adapter bracket of some sort. Was that included with your speaker? If not, where did you find it? My speakers have a 2.25" or 4.5" mounting pattern, but they're heavy, so I'd like to use the HTD mounts, since they look beefy enough for them.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacques123 View Post

@kingpin111:

Those mounts look nice, but what did you use to adapt their bolt pattern to your speakers? From your pictures, it looks like you have an adapter bracket of some sort. Was that included with your speaker? If not, where did you find it? My speakers have a 2.25" or 4.5" mounting pattern, but they're heavy, so I'd like to use the HTD mounts, since they look beefy enough for them.

It looks like its a higher end Polk Audio Speaker. I know they use the power port on the rear and it looks as if he attached the bracket to that.

Link to a picture for reference...
http://www.polkaudio.com/images/glob...ort_Detail.jpg
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just use a french cleat on all my speakers for wall mounts.

lucky I have built them so they are aimed at the audience
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdlepoker View Post

It looks like its a higher end Polk Audio Speaker. I know they use the power port on the rear and it looks as if he attached the bracket to that.

Link to a picture for reference...
http://www.polkaudio.com/images/glob...ort_Detail.jpg

Correct. I was using them as surrounds so blocking off the port didn't matter much. I was going to drill a hole in the plate, but never ended up doing so.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 AM

Hmmm. I still gotta figure something out. I just got a beautiful M&K 750THX system from a work colleague for a total steal. But the front speakers are ~16lbs, and the rears are ~11lbs. I don't want to trust these lovely speakers to a bracket that tops out at say 20lbs (at least the front speakers, especially considering my center channel will probably overhang my plasma by a few inches)...

I may just have to fire up the MIG welder and fab something out of bracket steel... But I would like some adjustability.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
post #13 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacques123 View Post

Hmmm. I still gotta figure something out. I just got a beautiful M&K 750THX system from a work colleague for a total steal. But the front speakers are ~16lbs, and the rears are ~11lbs. I don't want to trust these lovely speakers to a bracket that tops out at say 20lbs (at least the front speakers, especially considering my center channel will probably overhang my plasma by a few inches)...

I may just have to fire up the MIG welder and fab something out of bracket steel... But I would like some adjustability.

I bet you those brackets I mentioned can handle double their weight easily.
This all depends on how you mount the speaker to the bracket though.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page