post #151 of 178 Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

I quite agree. Similar with wife's angry experience.

What's funny is my wife loves it too even though she still gives me a crazy eye every once in a while . For instance...the other day she fell asleep on the couch next to me laying down. I was playing with some demo's and played the Master in Commander scene with the 5 minute long cannon fight. At first the scene is very quite until flashes of light in the distance and WHAM the ship is getting torn to shreds. She woke up and was upset saying I scared the *bleep* out of her. I told her I just felt like a back massage hehe.

I still have not bought an EQ though (like most have) yet for 2 reasons:

1) I am going to buy a new Pioneer receiver soon and will wait to see how effective the EQ in that is. I was skeptical but have heard good things. With the full band phase control and EQ digging into the low range I will give it a try. If there is more to be desired then I will pick up a seperate unit.

2) LACK OF MONEY FOR TOYS

Anyways, the taming from the EQ I need is to squash the 30hz - 40hz range and raise the 50hz - 60hz range. It sounds fantastic!!! This setup is a beast!! There are quite a few impressions I have had with this setup. I learned a lot about how my receiver operates and what every function does in the bass management setup does. Knowing that I have dialed it in pretty good.

What's interesting is that it seems like before I had my surrounds hooked up I had the receiver set to "no" for them. Well, I believe that it actually just cuts off the channel info instead of rerouting it because certain scenes sounded way different with them on (bass wise). I am really glad I bought the proper mounts for them and got them hooked up!!!

Since last time I really posted in this thread I have ran my cat 5 cable, made a new interconnect, ripped down the previous owners corner grow room, and insulated the attic over the garage. Running the cat 5 in the wall was a PAIN because of the ?fire stops? (horizontal 2 X 4's in the wall). The new interconnect helped a lot with a low level hum (back of amp is a mass of power wires that need to get sorted) and blocked out the interference which the cheap rca->xlr cable from rat shack did not.

The attic revamping did have a slight effect on the setup. It seems to be smoother in certain regions if that makes sense and a little fuller sounding. This was just an added side effect since this was not the purpose of the work I did up there.

What's great are the movies you don't expect to have a lot of bass that hit hard and ferocious out of no where. Two nights ago I received Astronaut Farmer from Netflix. We sit down and watch it and the scene where he tries to launch the rocket out for the first time and blows his windows out was pretty nice. What was really a killer was when he successfully takes off. As the rocket is propelling through the atmosphere and Billy Bob is fighting the G forces, my butt did the same thing in holding the couch down. The couch was a'rockin!! Who needs bass shakers??

-The Dave
----Check my QUAD 18" Fi IB Build Thread!! (DONE) King of the 400 lb Gorilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have watched many demo disc now and I must say that M&C is GREAT but truthfully my favorite demo scene I have seen so far is Open Range. I found it on a demo disc I downloaded. It' not jaw jarring or couch moving but in the dynamics of it that's great.

The gun shots are so fast and hard that they really send a quick audio bullet through you. The percussive effect is amazing!!! I have impressed some "hard" critics with that one. My one friend said it was pretty crazy because you can feel the bullet go past you (the air pressure wash over you).

The detail is phenomenal and how fast the IB reacts to the shots. I recommend everyone try it.

-The Dave
post #153 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Liked: 17
Have you tried the Transformers "flip scene" ? Have you tried Pulse ?

--Regards,
post #154 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

The new interconnect helped a lot with a low level hum (back of amp is a mass of power wires that need to get sorted) and blocked out the interference which the cheap rca->xlr cable from rat shack did not.

You made your interconnects out of Cat5?? Im very interested, do you have any pics or schematics?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #155 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

You made your interconnects out of Cat5?? Im very interested, do you have any pics or schematics?

It's pretty easy once you look at the XLR connectors. Lots of room for wiring, soldering ect. What's hard is making a stereo1.5mm to XLR connector with CAT5 like I did so I could hook my computer up to my gear. Not a lot of room in those tiny connectors.

YID DIY
post #156 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Have you tried the Transformers "flip scene" ? Have you tried Pulse ?

--Regards,

No, Pulse is in my Netflix queue and so is Transformers. I have seen Transformers in the theaters so I am waiting for the Blu-Ray release which is in September according to Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

My speaker cable is made out of Cat 5 but not my interconnect. It's made out of some nice cable had a spool of. Check the thread for pics and links on how to do it.

I soldered in the cable on one side with a nice rca barrel for the sub out and the other side I left bare (stripped) using the screws on the back of the Crown. I did this because it eliminated all hum in the line. My receiver uses a floating source (2 prong) cord so in the Crown manual it shows to use the shield for both the input negative and ground at the amp. It worked great!

-The Dave
post #157 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I soldered in the cable on one side with a nice rca barrel for the sub out and the other side I left bare (stripped) using the screws on the back of the Crown. I did this because it eliminated all hum in the line. My receiver uses a floating source (2 prong) cord so in the Crown manual it shows to use the shield for both the input negative and ground at the amp. It worked great!

Very cool, I might try that....because I do get a hum with my QSC and my EP2500.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #158 of 178 Old 06-11-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats how I solved my hum as well (months ago).
post #159 of 178 Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am an idiot. I swear the demo disc labeled it as Wyatt Earp but the scene previously mentioned is Open Range. I LOVE that scene!! My wife told me I should just buy it (it's in our Netflix queue) because thats a demo I show everyone.

-The Dave
post #160 of 178 Old 07-05-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw Open Range when it came out in theaters. really enjoyed it. I bet it would look and sound great with a good home theater.
post #161 of 178 Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM

Whoa, what a cool looking sub You've done a great job here, and I might have to take a leaf out of your book when it comes to circle cutting... I also don't have a router to use, so that "compass" you have looks like a great idea

"Measure twice, then measure again. Only then should you even THINK about cutting."

post #162 of 178 Old 07-19-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! Honestly, using the compass/jig saw is VERY easy. Just take your time! As you can see you can get some great looking circles (if I don't say so myself with simple tools. What plans do you have for a sub?

-The Dave
post #163 of 178 Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

See how this works out later tonight!!:

-The Dave
post #164 of 178 Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 995
You'll have fun with that one, Dave.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #165 of 178 Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Ha ha, my all time favorite IB demo movie! It doesn't have the deepest content in my experience, but does it pack a wallop!!! I love the opening seen when blackout fires his chest mounted cannon, simply unreal output!!!

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
post #166 of 178 Old 10-01-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My brother in law came over to watch the movie and he fell asleep (long day and he has already seen it). When that scene came on it his eyes opened wide and looked at me like WTF??? That scene actually scared me for a sec and I was awake!

-The Dave
post #167 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 12:54 PM

Nice build! Just went through the 6 pages.

Watch The Strangers and let us know how you liked that. I have a crappy onkyo htib and it helped scare the living crap out of me...I can only imagine how 4-18's vs. 1-8" would be like...I'll admit I did give out a little terrified scream...
post #168 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hehe that's hilarious. I will try it out. That's with Nicole Kidman right? Ehh..why not.

Just a quick thread update...I setup a new receiver and have FINALLY ordered a BFD!! The receiver is the Pioneer 1018 which you can read about in this thread. The BFD won't get here until the 30th unfortunately

Better late than never. On the plus side:

[Borat] 7.1 LPCM is Very nice!! [/Borat]

I will post the graphs of before and after with the BFD and of course my impressions.

-The Dave
post #169 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avus_M3 View Post

Hehe that's hilarious. I will try it out. That's with Nicole Kidman right? Ehh..why not.

Just a quick thread update...I setup a new receiver and have FINALLY ordered a BFD!! The receiver is the Pioneer 1018 which you can read about in this thread. The BFD won't get here until the 30th unfortunately

Better late than never. On the plus side:

[Borat] 7.1 LPCM is Very nice!! [/Borat]

I will post the graphs of before and after with the BFD and of course my impressions.

I think the movie is with Liv Tyler. The one with those people wearing masks terrorizing them in some house or cabin. I dunno. Never saw it.

Good to hear you are jumping onto the Hi-Def audio bandwagon, Dave! Now you get to enjoy all that bass in TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and PCM. Suuuhhhweeettt!

I got a good bass movie for you... Did you ever see Dark City? If so, did you like it? The BD version had an upgraded audio track remixed to 7.1 DTS Master Audio. Sounds awesome and there is plenty of bass. Put my dualies to good use.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #170 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Scott had it right with Liv Tyler. The movie was actually pretty good (shocking for a horror/terror movie.) and wasn't very long at all (barely over an hour long.) Make sure it's dark in the room though, the overall intensity should be good especially with your setup.
post #171 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ohh...ok. I know what movie you are talking about. It is already in my Netflix list. The wifey said I have to watch that one alone. She is not down with scary movies. Looks pretty creepy!

As for Dark City, I saw when it came out years ago...I will give it a try though!

-The Dave
post #172 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Ohh...ok. I know what movie you are talking about. It is already in my Netflix list. The wifey said I have to watch that one alone. She is not down with scary movies. Looks pretty creepy!

As for Dark City, I saw when it came out years ago...I will give it a try though!

I always liked the movie and the new Director's Cut is a vast improvement on an already good movie. Imho anyway. There are issues surrounding the video part of the Blu-ray. Read all about that in the Blu-ray section. If you are in the mood for a migraine. The audio on the BD is a blast though. Tremendous amounts of bass and awesome surround effects.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #173 of 178 Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:

The wifey said I have to watch that one alone. She is not down with scary movies. Looks pretty creepy!

It's not that scary!

It's only scary early on...
post #174 of 178 Old 11-19-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I apologize for the late response but my company did a big lay off and shut down a lot of sites so I am now jobless grrr

Anyways, the BFD has made some great improvements. It is very easy to learn after reading a little. I manually configure the filters in REW and then input them by hand into the BFD.

Here's a quick graph of my post EQ with a hard knee curve added in with the mains on (I run the LFE a little hotter hence the mild drop after 80hz):

The hard knee I achieved was by going off of my hearing to see at what SPL 20 Hz sounded the same as 30 Hz, 40 Hz, etc. I took the difference as instructed in the DiY and came up with these values:

20 11.5
25 8.5
30 5.7
35 5.3
40 5.1
45 4.4
50 4.0
60 1.7
70 1.0
80 0.0

To me Wayne's approach completely makes sense and it does sound a lot better then EQ'ing to a flat response. I used 3 filters to accomplish my goal. The filters I used are:

Freq Gain BW/60
20 7 10
37.02 -9 9
71.50 -5 6

This was my first attempt. I haven't played with it anymore to lock it in more. I am more concerned with finding work. Looking at it...maybe I should reduce the last filter to maybe -2db or -3db though? As for the gains, don't worry at the levels I play these at I have a TON of amp headroom and excursion to go.

When I have time I will try to learn how to use the other functions of REW.
If anyone wants to see a specific graph I can post them I just don't know how to interpret them (such as the waterfall, RT 60, etc.). If there is something you notice I don't please do not hesitate to say something. Like my title says I am still learning everyday.

-The Dave
post #175 of 178 Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's what the graph looks like when set to Wayne's parameters (which is how I set the filters):

Looks much better through the crossover section.

-The Dave
post #176 of 178 Old 11-20-2008, 10:10 AM

Sorry to hear about the job loss...laid off or permanent?

My cousin is laid off from ford for up to 2 years...Michigan has been hit hard for the last few years...

California feeling the pinch?
post #177 of 178 Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No, laid off as in done. Temporary laying off is furloading IIRC.

I was working for a builder and we all know how that story goes.

-The Dave
post #178 of 178 Old 11-20-2008, 01:51 PM

That sucks...

Things getting rough in California?

I know when I delivered building materials in Michigan Pulte homes were putting dirt back in holes (basements) since 2004/5...

Have anything else to do?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page