How Do I Know if My TV Was Calibrated Correctly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How Do I Know if My TV Was Calibrated Correctly?
How to make sure you got your money's worth from a professional calibration.

Q. If I have my HDTV calibrated what should I be looking for to determine if the job is done correctly? What equipment would be needed? How would you check to see if you got your money's worth? - Phil, Jacksonville, FL

A: HDTV calibration is quite a science and a complicated procedure. Start by making sure whomever you hire is ISF qualified. This is no easy qualification to achieve and should give you a good baseline on which to base the quality of the work.

Checking that a calibration has been done properly would require you to get a second person to do it and compare the results. Even then I would always expect them to be a little different. If it was easy to check the calibration yourself - you really wouldn't need to call in an expert!

The reason why calibration is difficult is because it's impossible to produce a 100 percent calibrated image. There are standards for where the different Red, Green and Blue colors should be on the chart, but due to whatever display technology you are using, changing the value of one item will have an effect on the other.

Calibration starts by taking readings from your display (with a meter) and then plotting these out. This will give the technician a good clue of how to go about optimizing the image. This process takes time because after each change you have to measure the image again to see how the changes you have made affect the whole picture. At the end of the day, the difference in before and after will largely depend on just how bad the picture was before you started, how many adjustment parameters the screen has and how responsive it is to these changes.

Click here to continue.
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page