Review: Sony’s 400-disc BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray Megachanger - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Review: Sony's 400-disc BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray Megachanger
Blu-ray goes mega as Sony's new player makes collecting discs worth it.

The gaping hole in the Blu-ray market has been the lack of a multidisc changer. Finally Sony has deposited two on the field, and the flagship BDP-CX7000ES comes from the company's Elevated Standard line. It's a 400-disc changerSony calls it a megachangerequipped with a network connection that pulls disc art and title information from a database so you can scroll through your high-def collection with the ease of an iPod.

This isn't Sony's first Blu-ray megachanger. In 2007 the company launched the HES-V1000, a 200-disc player with a 500GB hard drive and network streaming capability. That $3,500 product didn't last long in Sony's catalog, though, and the company hasn't come out with an upgraded version yet.

Features

So why a megachanger anyway? Aren't we so past discs? That depends on what you value for the home theater.

Currently there are several media servers, downloaders and streamers that can provide you with an endless parade of high-definition video. But if you compare the quality of streamed or downloaded content to that from a 1080p Blu-ray disc you'll wonder how the other stuff gets away with calling itself high definition. And streamed movies don't come with actor commentaries, deleted scenes and silly games.

Because it's part of Sony's ES line, the company packed it with high-end processing specs, yet it left out some of the fun features you see in a few of the more plebian BD players, like built-in BD-Live membory, Netflix and DLNA.

More...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize this is a very old post but just want to say, that this machine is still being sold, occasionally at very inflated prices I may add (Amazon take note) and maybe it's in my plans to finally do something about the piles of movies I have that desperately need something to sort them out. If I can figure out where to put it as it's so huge. As the reviewer described it, it's a dishwasher.

;-)

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page