AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ReQuest CEO on Legality of DVD Servers
By Julie Jacobson
Is Peter Cholnoky concerned about media server legalities? "Nope. Should I be?"

ReQuest is making it more affordable to distribute movies, music, photos and all manner of Internet content throughout the house.

The company's new MediaPlayer client, expected to ship in June, will retail for just $1,195. That may seem like a lot if you're Media Centers and cheap extenders, but the price is right for a dedicated, high-quality, whole-house media system - which ReQuest is famous for.

The MediaPlayer is better than half the price of ReQuest's other media extender, the Intelligent Media Client. The IMC has a few key features that the MediaPlayer does not: a DVD drive that lets you play a movie or archive it to a ReQuest server; HDMI and component outputs that can be utilized simultaneously; and the ability to control a Sony Blu-ray changer.

But Is It Legal?
What about the fact that Kaleidescape is embroiled in a lawsuit concerning DVD copying, and that Real Networks lost its RealDVD ripping case in the courts? Is Cholnoky concerned that ReQuest may be the next target?

Nope, he says. Should I be?

Like Kaleidescape, ReQuest has a license from the DVD CCA - a plaintiff in both the Kaleidescape and Real cases - to play DVD

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My understanding is that a judgment was already passed in Kaleidescape's favor. This should allow ReQuest Multimedia to legally RIP DVDs, just like Kaleidescape.

As a disclaimer, I did work for ReQuest Multimedia (ARQ and VideoReQuest) for a couple of years.

Bob
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfriesenhahn View Post

My understanding is that a judgment was already passed in Kaleidescape's favor.

Old, outdated news. The California Court of Appeal has since decided partially in favor of the DVD CCA, in that the "General Specifications" document is part of Kaleidescape's contract; then sent the whole lawsuit back to Superior Court, where it sits.

Be seeing you!
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page