post #1 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Integrator Describes Working for Michael Jackson
By Tom LeBlanc
After 18 years of installing his systems, Brad Sundberg saw everything from the pop star's work ethic to his behavior to his chimps.

There are celebrities, and then there was Michael Jackson.

When Brad Sundberg, owner of BSUN Media Systems, mentioned his work on Jackson's infamous Neverland Valley Ranch during his CE Pro of the Week profile, questions came to mind:

What was Michael Jackson like as a client?

What was he like away from the cameras?

Sundberg, who says he worked with the famous performer on countless personal and professional projects over 18 years, wrote about his experiences in a long essay in a BSUN e-newsletter sent a year after Jackson's June 2009 death. Following are some excerpts:

On meeting Jackson

Quote:

Michael was working on Captain EO for Disneyland and Epcot Center. He was fresh off the Victory Tour, the Thriller album, his dominance of MTV, and he was back in the studio. I wish I could remember our first meeting, but it was likely just passing each other in the hallway. He was always warm, yet shy. Over time we would chat now and then, but it took time to build the trust.

On Jackson's nickname for Brad Sundberg

Quote:

Early in 1986 the team moved into Westlake Studio D in Hollywood to record the Bad album, and welcomed me in. I worked other sessions during the day, but at night I was invited to sit in and learn. Eventually I worked my way up to technical director for the team, and the trust was solidified. It was during this time that Michael nicknamed me "Really Really Brad," a twist on the chorus, "Bad, Bad, Really, Really Bad." Check the album credits, it's there.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Nice. He deserves some affectionate remembrances.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Nice. He deserves some affectionate remembrances.

Very much agreed. It's nice to see a non-sensational story about MJ. I especially like that the author is straightforward about his relationship with him.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 05:10 PM

Liked: 13
very nice to read!!!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Thank's for the nice article.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Thanks for the post Steve. Was a nice change to the usual stories we get about Michael.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Hey Guys,
I didn't even know this had been reprinted on AVS. I don't hang out here much, but I appreciate the kind words from guys I respect. I am sometimes cautious about writing about Michael, as people have such polarized opinions of him, but I am proud of the work I did with him both in the studio as well as at the ranch. His creativity and freedom to try new things with technology (for example we put 20,000 watts of music through EAW speakers in the trees, triggered by a Crestron, for when people drove through the gate they would be welcomed with a wall of sound!) made that a period of my life a lot of fun, and a great learning experience. I have done larger, more elaborate systems since then, but when one of my systems made Michael laugh and yell his approval, few clients can match that level of enthusiasm or gratitude. As I said, I am proud of the work we did together... he was a great client and a good friend.
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page