post #1 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Netflix Rates Will Delay My Cord Cutting
By Julie Jacobson
Monthly fee goes from $10 to $16. Looks like Redbox is the big winner.

With Hulu Plus and Netflix, I was so close to cutting the cable cord. But now Netflix has gone and raised prices by 60% -- from $9.99 per month to $15.98 per month - for unlimited streaming and one disk per month.

You can have one or the other - streaming or hard disk - for $7.99 per month.

Here's how the email exchange went with my husband:

Him: [forwarding notice from Netflix] Netflix raising prices

Me: [expletive] What would you like to do? Just streaming? No hard disks? We always use Redbox anyway. Or just drop them altogether?

Him: Let's just keep getting disks. We never really stream anyway.

Speak for yourself, mister. I happen to enjoy streaming Netflix to my iPad on a lazy Sunday morning or sleepless weekday night.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Yeah I got this morning too. I'm thinking streaming only and Redbox-ing for whatever DVD/Blu-ray's I may want. Is the extra money draw by Netflix intended to pay studios or what?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its still a bargain IMO, even with the Blu-ray add on.

I'll keep both, plus I have Blockbuster Online to get certain Blu-Rays a bit sooner than NetFlix.
post #4 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

People will always complain when the price for something they enjoy increases....

Netflix has been beefing up their streaming selections every month, but people continuously complain that it's not enough. So what did people expect to happen? That extra money they're paying for licensing will have to come from somewhere...
post #5 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I cut ties with Netflix a while back as Redbox and Blockbuster online (if it still exists) are simply better deals for me. Now they'll never get my business back.
post #6 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post
People will always complain when the price for something they enjoy increases....

Netflix has been beefing up their streaming selections every month, but people continuously complain that it's not enough. So what did people expect to happen? That extra money they're paying for licensing will have to come from somewhere...
Price increases are pretty much expected. What got me was the size of the increase. Guess I should have bought Neflix stock. Oh, well.
post #7 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I have streaming and 2 blu rays--and the increase is about $5 a month for that plan. I'll think about it for now but am leaning towards eliminating streaming and keeping the 2 disc plan. I don't really stream that much from Netflix so I'd get my streaming from Amazon and iTunes.

Bob

post #8 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 AM

If anything this is more of a reason to cut the cable cord, because then you can use the money you save to go towards netflix. Lots of streaming content, practically any DVD you can think of, and free shipping. Still the best deal around.
post #9 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My wife and I are ditching the streaming option. We simply don't use it enough, the quality isn't there, and the selection isn't quite there.

If Netflix discontinues the option for delivered discs, especially Blu-Ray titles, then I'll use Red Box exclusively.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #10 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was on the one blu-ray disc + streaming option and switched to streaming only. After our son was born one disc would end up sitting there for a month or two as we just don't have the time to watch movies like we used to. I'll do Redbox for blu's and streaming for everything else...
post #11 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
They have to be kidding. I've never signed up for Netflix because streaming full length movies has no great appeal to me and it could chew up some of my monthly Comcast usage allocations. I have two double Redbox kiosks locations (with decent Blu-ray stocks) within 6 minutes and of my house each and Double Blockbuster Express (mostly SD DVDs) kiosks less than 2 minutes away so for current films, Netflix can't compete. I could see using it for older films and TV series however but not at these prices.
post #12 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Reduced to streaming only sub.
post #13 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I will cut streaming and go DISC only...Redbox is good, but they don't have blu-ray for movies that are like 2-3 years old. maybe I will come back a year later when Netflix really have BETTER streaming contents. At this point, the only streaming content that is interesting is the Japanese animation. Other than that, I am not missing anything.
post #14 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Depends on how you use Netflix. I actually like the new setup because I never, never, EVER use streaming--local DSL and my computer hardware just can't handle it. When I read an article a couple weeks ago that NF management was thinking they'd ditched the core disc-via-mail customers too quickly and were looking at treating them better (at least for a while), I was hoping they'd do something like this.

I had cut my plan down to 1-disc-at-a-time for the summer, and I actually re-upped back to 2 last night.

But that's me. If you liked to stream AND supplement that with the occasional disc, yeah, you got a hosed.
post #15 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Netflix is in cahoots with the cable co.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #16 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I just quit all streaming to 3 devices and 3 blu-rays out at a time. Went with just 1 bluray out at a time and no streaming

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #17 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM

I quit the whole thing. I figure I'll take my chances with the torrents.
post #18 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I was just talking to a co-worker and he thinks everyone streams and it's the only way to go, he's a big fan of Netflix. Regular Joe, he does admit that content is on the weak side but still swear by it I would like to know who streams, and who doesn't even though they have the option. If some will start a poll wit the appropriate questions with price views, and current new of the hike , and if they drop physical disc or streaming and visa versa that would be awesome.Unless there is already a poll

I'm not a thread starter guy is the only reason I don't take up the task.

DJoel
post #19 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post
I will cut streaming and go DISC only...Redbox is good, but they don't have blu-ray for movies that are like 2-3 years old. maybe I will come back a year later when Netflix really have BETTER streaming contents. At this point, the only streaming content that is interesting is the Japanese animation. Other than that, I am not missing anything.
This is exactly my feelings and plan.
post #20 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post
i have streaming and 2 blu rays--and the increase is about $5 a month for that plan. I'll think about it for now but am leaning towards eliminating streaming and keeping the 2 disc plan. I don't really stream that much from netflix so i'd get my streaming from amazon and itunes.
+1

---Dave

My HT/Music System can be found here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...iew&1301304581
post #21 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM

I stream movies far more often than I watch discs. Sure, they don't have new movies, but there are hundreds of older movies on my instant watch queue that I've never seen.

Watching television series over streaming is vastly superior to disc, as you can watch as many or few as you want without having to send in a disc and wait for it to come back.

Plus the documentaries, indie stuff, movies I want to watch more than once but don't want to buy... although I've watched "The Big Lebowski" and Jim Gaffigan's stand-up enough times that I could.

Overall, I just like the flexibility and convenience that streaming provides.
post #22 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I already cut the cord.

This means I'll cut DVD's from netflix and get my blu fix at redbox. We only get 4 discs a month with their "unlimited" plan anyway.
post #23 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug View Post

practically any DVD you can think of, and free shipping. Still the best deal around.

Umm... How about just about every DVD released in the last 30 days.

Oh yeah right.... Netflix leveraged "more streaming titles" (Like Star Trek?) at the expense of new releases. So I can think of quite a few they don't offer. But hey, guess what... I can watch an extremely poor quality highly compressed streamed version of Star Trek whenever I wish.

Not worth my 16 bucks. Those who stay.... enjoy the $29 plan coming in May 2012.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #24 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Streaming was essentially free since it's inception.
Free doesn't last forever so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
Enjoyed it whilst it lasted and pretty much lost interest in low (albiet stated as HD) streaming quality. Bluray is why we are all in this thing anyhow. Streaming doesn't match the Bluray experience on either the PQ or AQ fronts.

Dropped the streaming and went with the one-disc out at a time + bluray plan.

Don't be surprised to see additional price increases coming next year.

post #25 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Initially I had Blockbuster but wanted to stream so went with Netflix for both streaming & Blu Ray's.

Currently I have 3 out at a time BluRays and it will cost me $19.99 same as Blockbuster but at Blockbuster I have the ability to do in store exchange and once in a while I did this when I was with BlockBuster.

I think I'll stay with Netflix streaming but it doesn't make sense to pay the same as Blockbuster when it's the same price and I have the ability to have in store exchange... So next month I'll be cancelling DVD's with Netflix and go back to Blockbuster for DVD's.

Fronts: B&W CM8
Center: B&W CM Center
Surround: B&W CM1
JL Audio F112
Integra DHC-80.3
Emotiva XPA-5
OPPO 93
HTPC
post #26 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Staying with 2 blu-ray out at a time and streaming for $22.98 a month. Not happy about it, but considering I've had the same 2 blu-rays for about 4 months, I don't have much reason to complain.
post #27 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike9876 View Post

Initially I had Blockbuster but wanted to stream so went with Netflix for both streaming & Blu Ray's.

Currently I have 3 out at a time BluRays and it will cost me $19.99 same as Blockbuster but at Blockbuster I have the ability to do in store exchange and once in a while I did this when I was with BlockBuster.

I think I'll stay with Netflix streaming but it doesn't make sense to pay the same as Blockbuster when it's the same price and I have the ability to have in store exchange... So next month I'll be cancelling DVD's with Netflix and go back to Blockbuster for DVD's.

Not sure if you're a gamer, but Blockbuster online now also includes game rentals. They also get new releases on disc sooner than Netflix. After ditching Blockbuster several years ago due to Blockbuster's price increases and Netflix's streaming, I'm thinking of returning to Blockbuster for physical media as well even though I will be paying an additional $2/month for the one out a time plan over the comparable Netflix offering ($10 versus $12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebor View Post

Staying with 2 blu-ray out at a time and streaming for $22.98 a month. Not happy about it, but considering I've had the same 2 blu-rays for about 4 months, I don't have much reason to complain.

If that's the case, why wouldn't you switch to the one out at a time plan and save $5/month?
post #28 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Blockbuster with free in-store exchanges is the way to go!

HB

Bear's Lair Home Theater

Howie: "I think my screen may be TOO big."
Norm: "Screens are like breast implants..."
post #29 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Cancelled 15 mins ago. There are a lot of options out there consumers are no longer locked into just a couple of rental choices.

We're sorry to say goodbye

Dear David,

We're canceling your membership just as you asked, effective Wednesday, July 13, 2011.

Before you go, would you return the following titles by Wednesday, July 20, 2011? Unreturned DVDs are billed at $14 each and $20 for each Blu-ray disc, plus tax.

Movie Name:

V for Vendetta
The Golden Compass

We hope you enjoyed the service - and we'd love to have you back someday.

-Your friends at Netflix
post #30 of 102 Old 07-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslug View Post

If anything this is more of a reason to cut the cable cord, because then you can use the money you save to go towards netflix. Lots of streaming content, practically any DVD you can think of, and free shipping. Still the best deal around.

I would agree if all of the movies Netflix has were available through streaming, but a lot are only offered via disc, and that will be a problem is you have to make a choice between streaming or disc subscription. Also, Netflix steaming has a lot of content, but it's also rather old content.

I was very happy with Netflix $12.00 plan of one BD and unlimited streaming. I would order BD, view them as soon as I got them, and then send it back the next day, giving me quite a few BDs per month. My son, he likes the streaming via his X-Box, so it worked out quite nice, but with the increase I'll have to do some thinking on it.
Ghpr13

Info=Knowledge=Understanding=Better TV!
I see dead pixels!
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page