post #1 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5 Projectors for Your Home Theater
By Zachary Worden
Whether you are looking for top-notch clarity or affordable entertainment, these 5 projectors are worth keeping in mind when choosing your equipment.

Home theaters, real home theaters, are built around a big screen, not a puny flat panel TV, and those big screens need a high-performance projector to make them shine. The market is loaded with projectors of all types, from pocket-sized pico projectors primarily for business or gaming to tank-sized large venue projectors. In between are DLP, LCoS and LCD projectors for home theater use.

Home theater projectors vary widely in size, price and application. Some are designed specifically for ambient light situations, while others only look good in completely dark rooms. Many now are 3D-enabled, so you can get an experience just like that in a commercial theaterwithout the crowds, bad seats and $20 buckets of stale popcorn. Some projectors are perfect for DIY projects, while others will perform best when professionally installed and calibrated.

Anyone who has ever looked into home theaters knows that there is a lot involved. Researching every aspect of a theater can be exhausting, so Electronic House has compiled some of the latest projectors to remember for your next home theater project. These projectors provide something for everyone, whether you want 3D viewing, affordability, brightness, or have other unique demands.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Liked: 13
*Yawn*

More advertisement disguised as an article from AVS. It's sad that you link to these pieces of propaganda. My Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD blows away any consumer projector as far as color depth, clarity, and especially black level. And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

*Yawn*

More advertisement disguised as an article from AVS. It's sad that you link to these pieces of propaganda. My Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD blows away any consumer projector as far as color depth, clarity, and especially black level. And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.

True that your Pioneer has a better picture than a projector but there is no substitute for a 120" screen no matter how close you sit to your tv.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #4 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.

Really? My 58" even seems too small for my living room, let alone my theather. I am very thankful we have options greater than 50".
post #5 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

*Yawn*

And as long as you sit close enough according to THX recommendations, your eyes don't need a bigger screen.

Works fine when your little picture is matched by some itty bitty little white cube speakers.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #6 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

*Yawn*

I believe THX recommendation is for screen >50. Trust me, I try. I had both a 55" plasma, and a 110" PJ screen. Even if I sit 6 ft away from my 55" plasma, it does not have the same effect as I sit 13" away from the 110" PJ screen.

Seriously, if cone of vision is all it matters, then your 23" or 25" PC monitor is all you need with that 1-1.5 ft viewing distance.
post #7 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post

Works fine when your little picture is matched by some itty bitty little white cube speakers.

LOL, +1. With that reasoning maybe if I just squint at my Iphone...
post #8 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:

*Yawn*

front projection isn't a substitute for a tv nor vice versa. you're creating fanboyism out of thin air. good job.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv. Watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by btiltman View Post

Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv. Watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies.

Pfft...my movie theater has a Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD. There IS nothing better.
post #11 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

*Yawn*

You could buy a portable DVD player and hold it closer to your eyes and save some money in the process.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
True that.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would certainly agree that this list is not the premier, go-to list as far as projectors go, especially since one of the cheapest ones cost $8,000. There are far more models that offer better value than an $8,000 JVC that most people do nothing but complain about. But the article was right about the projector and screen being the better theater-like experience. Seeing as how that's kinda what its like when you go to a cinema.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
I would certainly agree that this list is not the premier, go-to list as far as projectors go, especially since one of the cheapest ones cost $8,000. There are far more models that offer better value than an $8,000 JVC that most people do nothing but complain about. But the article was right about the projector and screen being the better theater-like experience. Seeing as how that's kinda what its like when you go to a cinema.
HuH? I have an Epson 8700 and it is one of the best values and PQ for a front projector under 5K. I only have a 100 in screen but it is amazing. Not quite plasma Wow but when people walk into my living room they all say WOW. Girls may say its not about size but we all know it is

Ohh and my 8700 is the only display device (Besides this computer screen) in my house and I watch a whole lot of Dish LoL
post #15 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Funny that they have both the JVC and Wolf since they are both the same light engine. Probably a little diversity with a product in the $1,500 - $8,000 gap would certainly help. That Epson 8700ub is surely worth mentioning, and how about an LED like the Vango or Runco. This is kind of a dumb list.
post #16 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 PM

I love my 51' 3D Plasma.. but when I am in the mood for a real theater I love my my Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8700 UB on a 130" screen (manual for now) with an Onkyo THX receiver taking care of the 7.1 sound

Most projector owner know that nothing is nicer then watching a movies in the comfort of ones own home.

this is my set up before the black out curtains many more tweeks to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRAD2vQFIw
post #17 of 26 Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Pfft...my movie theater has a Pioneer flat panel PRO101FD. There IS nothing better.

because you don't know (or want to ignore ) projector with dedicated room for home theater
I have both a plasma and a projector
there is nothing like watching TV or a games on a plasma
but when it comes to movies the plasma can't be compare to projector.
the pictures of a projector is 10 times better when it comes to watch a movies
post #18 of 26 Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke90 View Post

the picture of a projector is 10 times better when it comes to watch a movies

And sports!
post #19 of 26 Old 08-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:

Very true I'd love to say that to my friends but that would be bragging but I think I've found my new signature!

Watching a movie on a tv is like watching a movie on a tv, watching a movie on a projector is like being at the movies!
post #20 of 26 Old 08-14-2011, 10:28 AM

I won't sit here and knock plasma for what it is. Had a Pioneer Elite 60". Was the best "small screen TV" I've ever seen. It really is nice to watch, till you measured the wattage it was using (355 watts) and heat it was putting off! Sorry to say I've progressed into LEED in home and moved laterally into a 55" HX929 XBR (179 watts) that is close enough for the HD TV programming we watch. When I want big, there is no substitute (except for those that have the room for bigger!) than my dedicated theater with a 133" 2.35:1 side masking screen/Sony 90ES/Lens combo. Absolutely the best image i have seen in 2D, 3D is, well 3D. No more, "why are there bars on the top and bottom if it's HD" questions. I love the look on 1st timers when I give them the before (2:35 w/ top/bottom bars) and then automate the screen and anamorphic lens and the image jumps in size!

Greg
post #21 of 26 Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Really? My 58" even seems too small for my living room, let alone my theather. I am very thankful we have options greater than 50".

Actually, how big an image (or how big ANYTHING) looks to your eyes is directly a result of how close you are to it. A larger screen still has the same amount of pixels as a smaller screen, it's just that each individual pixel is bigger. Therefore, sitting approximately 12 feet from a 100" screen is the SAME as sitting 5-6 feet from a 50" screen:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

If you were to sit any closer to your 100" screen to make it look even bigger you would start to see the pixels. Don't fall for the marketing, folks. And don't sacrifice your deeper blacks and deeper colors
post #22 of 26 Old 08-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Actually, how big an image (or how big ANYTHING) looks to your eyes is directly a result of how close you are to it. A larger screen still has the same amount of pixels as a smaller screen, it's just that each individual pixel is bigger. Therefore, sitting approximately 12 feet from a 100" screen is the SAME as sitting 5-6 feet from a 50" screen:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

If you were to sit any closer to your 100" screen to make it look even bigger you would start to see the pixels. Don't fall for the marketing, folks. And don't sacrifice your deeper blacks and deeper colors

5-6 feet?? Sounds a little too close for most of us....
I own a Plasma and a projector and to see pixels on my 130" screen you have to stand less then 3 feet away I just checked ...
post #23 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

At YOUR house, there IS nothing better.

Nothing wrong with that either. I like being happy with modest stuff.
post #24 of 26 Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a 65" plasma and a 120" projection screen. In the absolute is the plasma picture better, sure. But not by much. When I can get 98% of the quality at 120" I'm pretty damn happy. I have found that most people who mock front projectors have never seen a good one. The old "saw on in a sports bar" doesn't even come close. I would challenge anybody to come over and watch Avatar on blu-ray and not be absolutely amazed at the picture and color quality.
post #25 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

From what it sounds like, I see lots who know the reality of having a "true" home theater, (like my "budget" 122" 1080P system), and those who are too cocky to adjust they WISH they had a system like that. There is nothing like having the family, or a group of friends and family sitting in the theater watching a movie with the same look and feel as the theaters. Oh...I'm sure your 200 watt Bose AM-7 system works better than my 2000 watt Onkyo/JBL THX system too.
post #26 of 26 Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndrummer74 View Post

From what it sounds like, I see lots who know the reality of having a "true" home theater, (like my "budget" 122" 1080P system), and those who are too cocky to adjust they WISH they had a system like that. There is nothing like having the family, or a group of friends and family sitting in the theater watching a movie with the same look and feel as the theaters. Oh...I'm sure your 200 watt Bose AM-7 system works better than my 2000 watt Onkyo/JBL THX system too.

Oops...not adjust....ADMIT is what I meant. Stupid predictive text...I mean brain.
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page