5 Reasons iPads Suck As Home Theater Remotes - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
using a tablet as a remote is a little over kill from where i'm standing. i use a harmony 1100 for what it's worth. however, i'm thinking of trying to make my motion le1700 tablet work as a remote use for fun.

tony4k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

using a tablet as a remote is a little over kill from where i'm standing. i use a harmony 1100 for what it's worth. however, i'm thinking of trying to make my motion le1700 tablet work as a remote use for fun.

How is the 1100 suiting you thus far? After using the 1100, do you prefer it over other Harmony remotes?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #33 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Agreed. I wonder how difficult it would be to make a home theater remote based on an existing tablet? I'd want seven buttons added: Two for volume, one for mute, two for channel/chapter skip, and two that can be programmed. A seven inch screen size would be plenty.

Yeah, I agree. A 5-7"-ish waffle phone or tablet could be adapted with hard buttons (if the market craved such a device) I guess. I probably use the volume, DVR, and Guide functions more than anything.

I think Apple, Logitech, and (oddly enough) HP are the few companies that could pull off the ergonomic needs of such a device. I say HP because they design really nice devices when they set their mind(s) to it.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #34 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Wait till the iPad is surpassed by something like M$'s Kinect and gestures with a screen overlay. It's coming.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #35 of 44 Old 12-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No thanks. I'll tell Siri what I want to do rather than press buttons or anything else.

Matt
post #36 of 44 Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarpenter View Post

No thanks. I'll tell Siri what I want to do rather than press buttons or anything else.

I've used Siri and Kinect. They're neat, and have their place perhaps (macros or tasks seem a good place to start); but it's still quicker to press a button for simple, oft-repeated tasks. JMO of course.

Microsoft or Apple have the vertical structure and big brains necessary to pull off such a device. Microsoft has learned a LOT from Xbox, Zune, and Windows Phone. I wouldn't discount them for a moment. They too have scads of cash, and a wealth of engineering talent.

The question is, will top brass in either company realize the potential? They need to understand that conquering the living room will in large part be because of a useful control schema. It will be something that anyone could use. Better yet, something anyone would want to use.

No one has hit a homerun- yet. Part of the reason has been a lack of market convergence, but we're in the window of possibility now. There's a fat pitch out there waiting to be smacked over the fence. Who steps up to the plate remains to be seen.

post #37 of 44 Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yep, a Harmony One or TiVo Slide remote is just about the best solution for watching pre-recorded content.

Even if Apple launched a product that recorded free over the air content at 1080 rather than streaming overpriced, over-compressed 720p content, they wouldn't enable an appropriate commercial skip utility.

"Kinect / Siri, skip forward 30 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 more seconds." {Waggles arms frantically trying to get Kinect to skip past the commercials.} "Oh wait, that ad is from Geico/Apple/Budweiser or one of the few other companies with funny ads! Go back!!"

And then the damned thing skips to the start of your show or worse yet deletes the entire episode. No thank you.

I just don't see how voice and motion controls are better than a well crafted physical remote control for watching pre-recorded content. Buying episodes or season passes from iTunes or Amazon is a poor replacement for streaming the content from Netflix, renting physical discs from Netflix or Blockbuster, or buying the discs from Amazon. Wake me when the post-network revolution finally takes hold.

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #38 of 44 Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Funny how you decided to use iRule in your "article" or whatever you want to call it. You know that iPod/iPhone is used with iRule as well and now android phones and tablets?
post #39 of 44 Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM

Liked: 13
I use a Harmony 1100 and for me, it'd be hard to imagine life without one. My media player and AVR is in the room behind the wall where the TV hangs. When I need to do something quite often, I program a button for it. For those things I don't do quite so often, it's handy to have access to every function of TV, media player, AVR on the unit, so I never have to grab the unit's remote and run back and forth between the 2 rooms to get things done.

Also, I can program buttons for other IR devices like a fan and a heater. (Which you can probably also do with the other Harmony remotes, but not sure if they have that many extra buttons on them)
post #40 of 44 Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the answer to our dilemma. Google needs to buy Logitech, put Android on the Harmony One, and add RF/IR capability out of the box. THAT would be awesome. The Harmony One's button layout is great. The touchscreen execution (from my limited use) seems adequate. However, after programming my new Harmony One (I had an 880 that went kerplunkt), I found myself bemoaning Logitech's kludgy process. The dependency on an interactive web database and proprietary software for programming is, well, stupid from the user POV. Since we need web access anyway, why not allow users to download the device info needed to make the remote work. At least that way, people could download the needed info and program a device that doesn't have ready web access (like my mother and father). Logitech's programming method lacks flexibility- something Android offers in spades.

post #41 of 44 Old 01-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Liked: 20
Can someone please just buy Phillips Pronto Remote business? By far, the best, most versatile remote with so much more potential that what was achieved. It's indestructable, attractive, WiFi enabled, easy to program and nearly perfect from an execution standpoint - it actually changes channels when you press channel up. Unlike the Logitech junk that has a terrible RF unit and a massive lag on IR.

Prontoscript has potential....

Just buy it, make it Zigbee enabled and be done with it. Too bad Phillips pooped the bed on this one.
post #42 of 44 Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post

Yeah, I agree. A 5-7"-ish waffle phone or tablet could be adapted with hard buttons (if the market craved such a device) I guess. I probably use the volume, DVR, and Guide functions more than anything.

I think Apple, Logitech, and (oddly enough) HP are the few companies that could pull off the ergonomic needs of such a device. I say HP because they design really nice devices when they set their mind(s) to it.

They have these devices already; ie Crestron , Control 4 etc... They also use proprietary software, they don't need to do all the things a tablet or Ipad does. IMHO this makes the solution much more reliable when implemented properly.

The only reason the ipads and tablets are so inexpensive is because they are sold and marketed to a much larger crowd and can sell MANY more units. The dedicated HA market is not for everyone. Call their prices "outrages" if you want but they fulfill a need and have invested a great deal of money into their products.

I see the tablets and smart phones as just another addition to customers existing HA network.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree, iPad sux as a remote. I use my iPad sitting in front of the TV, but not as a remote.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #44 of 44 Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 10
I think Tablets and iPod Touches have some advantages as remotes. The article mentions that they can walk off with someone, but that is one of the advantages being a WiFi device I can take it with me to control any TV or Room in the house. Sliding to unlock turns into something you do unconsciously as you pick up the remote and the app is there ready to use. I find that the response time is better than your average IR remote, and you don't have to aim anywhere. And you get used to where to land your finger by memory so hard buttons aren't really a deal breaker for me.

All major TVs and Cable companies have free apps, some that give you added functionality or easier control of the smart features. It is rechargeable and you can use it to do it all on one device surf the web, control the TV, check an IP cam, allow someone in at the front door, turn on the lights, change input to the PC, use it for mouse and keyboard, make a phone call, etc. How are these affordable devices not the ultimate one device to do everything? I think it does enough of these things, well enough to qualify as a great remote.
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page