post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Cloud: Why 2012 Will Be a Breakout Year
By Julie Jacobson
Managing security, phone systems, thermostats and more with the cloud.

Cloud computing is one of CE Pro's Top 5 Home Technology Opportunities for 2012. We will be profiling each trend over the next week as part of our State of the Industry Report.

By now, CE pros are fairly well versed in streaming media and cloud-based content, even if such services can be difficult to manage and challenging to monetize.

But there are additional opportunities in cloud-based services. We believe 2012 will be a breakout year for hosted home control, including security, energy management, telecommunications and whole-house automation.

We hear this often from integrators: I don't trust the cloud for my clients. It isn't reliable. And the LAPD recently dumped Google's Gmail email service, saying it could not meet the required security needs.

Yet many CE pros entrust their entire business to the cloud (also known as SaaS or software as a service), sharing Google documents, for example, and using Salesforce.com or some other cloud-based sales and CRM software.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
please no, at least not for movies
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Vendors have to have *something* to sell.

Until the "cloud" is as reliable/ubiquitous as electricity, I imagine having at least some of your stuff stored locally and REALLY be available when u want to will stay for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not comfortable keeping stuff in the cloud.

I'm not comfortable with security, reliability, access - what if a cloud server operator shuts down and takes all your stuff with them?

We've seen many examples of good services shutting down shop and leaving consumers hanging for what they thought was lifetime access.

No thank you. I like to know exactly where my data is, right down to the disk.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Not for me...

Like any other emerging service, we can expect a gradual shakedown of the numerous companies popping up to capitalize on this market. As sebberry pointed out, I would bet that none of us want our data at the mercy of profit driven business decisions. And in an age where personal information = money to other companies, I can't believe that at somepoint TOS's won't be cleverly worded to allow some sort of dissemination to take place for marketing purposes.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAT8 View Post

And in an age where personal information = money to other companies, I can't believe that at somepoint TOS's won't be cleverly worded to allow some sort of dissemination to take place for marketing purposes.

This is also a concern I hadn't though of. Even if the content wasn't made public, information on the numbers and types of files you store could be sold.

Already if you read the TOS on photo publishing websites the content you upload is theirs to use in their own marketing materials. Fortunately my photography isn't good enough for them to steal, but you catch my drift.

Hosted applications is another scary area - sure it will "reduce piracy" but can you imagine not having access to your business software because your internet connection went haywire?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Hosted applications is another scary area - sure it will "reduce piracy" but can you imagine not having access to your business software because your internet connection went haywire?

Agreed. Which speaks to a larger issue. I'm a bit concerned with relying on too many third-parties for a simple layer of reliability, which itself is reliant on other third parties. I'm more than willing to put in the extra time, work, & cost to remain independant with regards to my software/storage/backup needs. Because nobody will take better care of my data than I.

The Cloud certainly has many uses which I'm sure are beneficial to many. But like anything else, it's not a "one size fits all" solution.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I'm not comfortable keeping stuff in the cloud.

I'm not comfortable with security, reliability, access - what if a cloud server operator shuts down and takes all your stuff with them?

We've seen many examples of good services shutting down shop and leaving consumers hanging for what they thought was lifetime access.

No thank you. I like to know exactly where my data is, right down to the disk.

Exactly I've had phone home software become unusable after the company goes under and same thing for music with Music Giants (and did the RIAA care any there when they insisted that DRM be used? Did they make sure people didn't lose their files? no).

And tell me how many homes in the US can sustain the data rate of a top blu-ray never mind plus additional usage. The streaming cloud quality stunk before, stinks now and will stink for quite some time to come.

Plus you are tied to being online for everything. Not good in itself.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
What's old is new again.

"Cloud?"

Meh, that's merely a new name for a server. It's just that now it's being done over the internet rather than a LAN. My data's been in the "cloud" for decades so this new jargon is worth a chuckle or two. It reminds me a bit of the era when "web 2.0" was hyped.

This computing paradigm is real and useful but it anything but new. What's new is that more people are discovering it... decades after it was introduced and well understood.
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page