Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

If it working, then it's working. Just use the feature.

Why disturb ppl with well known answer?

Well, this is all new to me. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I've read some but not enough to be conclusive. From what I've read today connecting the joey's over ethernet is not supported which means it possible may break with an update. I'm embarking on a completely new theater setup and don't want to make expensive mistakes by assuming something works one way and it actually doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgoodman View Post

Well, this is all new to me. I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I've read some but not enough to be conclusive. From what I've read today connecting the joey's over ethernet is not supported which means it possible may break with an update. I'm embarking on a completely new theater setup and don't want to make expensive mistakes by assuming something works one way and it actually doesn't.
You are better off running coax, I have been testing running a Joey via Ethernet and a Joey vs Wifi and the best experience I have had is with the coax connection.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
post #33 of 48 Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgoodman View Post

If it is new I don't see the problem. Run coax, cat6, HDMI, every thing you can think of to be safe.
post #34 of 48 Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Well, every potential location will be getting multiple Cat6. Was contemplating the coax so I figure I will do that as well. Here is my issue with HDMI. I have some runs that are well over 60 feet. So that puts me out of range of the Redmere cables. I'd have to do HDBaseT so I'll probably not run HDMI outside of the theater and run extra Cat6 to display locations in other parts of the house.
post #35 of 48 Old 06-08-2012, 11:27 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL66 View Post

I wish it could record 6 channels anytime.

Really? Why? When was the last time there were six shows that you didn't want to miss on six different channels all at the exact same time? I can not recall a single time it's ever happened for me. If it has happened, you may want to consider that you watch way too much TV. And that's coming from someone who watches way too much TV.
post #36 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't get it, REALLY!

I mean, just WHO does DISH think watches, or CARES TO WATCH all four of the "major networks" every night during primetime (and ONLY during primetime)?!?!?

This sounds/looks to me ALMOST like some sort of inside deal DISH has made with "the Big 4" to come out with a new gimmick that serves THEIR interests while simultaneously giving DISH some great new marketing tool.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm a BIG DISH subscriber... Have been for 3 years and 3 months, now. And to get what I needed and wanted out of them, I had to pay $200 extra UPFRONT for the lease of a SECOND VIP 720 HD DVR. Even with two of them, I can record only 4 programs at once, two of which will be recorded in HD, two in SD. BUT I have the freedom and flexibility to record ANY FOUR DAMNED CHANNELS I WANT. And frankly, while there are at least a few shows one each network almost every week that go on one or the other DVR, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of what I record comes from either Discovery, Animal Planet, Natgeo/NatgeoWild, the Science Channel, A&E, USA, History, or one of the subscriber channels: HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz.

And while I have SOME SERIOUS ISSUES with my current DVRs (to the point that when I finally get around to calling DISH, if they can't fix them -- at what I'm paying -- I may go ELSEWHERE), I'm certainly NOT going to reduce the number of channels I can record INDEPENDENTLY just so I can have some stupid "Hopper" automatically record all "Big 4" every weeknight from 8-11. What about The CW, for that matter??? This season, 3 of my network shows every week came of that. One didn't make it past its first season (sorry Sarah), but the other two are going strong and will be back again next year.

I'm not happy with OTHER carriers, either (wouldn't consider DirecTV, for instance), but DISH makes some other choices for me that kinda tick me off... For instance, I like in Upstate South Carolina, about 30 miles south of the NC border, in the 35th (or thereabouts) largest broadcast market in the country (was 35th last time I checked -- been a few years). Anyway, a few shows I watch -- like "Nova" -- run on PBS. But rather than givng me public television through the SOUTH CAROLINA network, I get the NORTH CAROLINA network! This really irks me because once in a while the SC network carries state programming I'd ike to see, but I can't (I live "in a hole" where antenna reception is a non-starter). And with SO MANY CHANNELS, if they're going to do the NC PBS thing, why not just include SC, too??? That's what the local cable company does (even though they don't have NEAR the carriage of other things that DISH does, which is why I don't have them for TV any more).

Are they schizoid, or something??? mad.gif
Jeff Hayes

Life is the only constant...

post #37 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 148

^^^ 

If you don't like the feature turn it off and you get your 3 independent tuners.  The Big 4 during primetime are still the most popular channels overall.  And if you can record 1 program vs 4 with the same tuner why not do it? 

post #38 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
For instance, I like in Upstate South Carolina, about 30 miles south of the NC border, in the 35th (or thereabouts) largest broadcast market in the country (was 35th last time I checked -- been a few years).
Jeff blame the FCC for that one. Its then (and Nielson) who decide which DMA you are in, not DISH.

Scott
post #39 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 03:13 PM

I am really enjoying my hopper. My first installer forgot to give a HIC to get home media. Then DISH mailed me a HIC but that only solved the problem in the two JOEYS. Then I figured out I needed 2 USB adapters for the JOEYS and direct connect my router to the HOPPER. The folks at DISH are still working out the kinks on this one.
post #40 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=C5-RF&recordID=CAT-5%20Baluns&categoryID=Cat-5%20Baluns&catcdID=14&prdcdID=FG01277
post #41 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL66 View Post

Recording 6 channels at once is a catch. It is only a 3 tuner box, but records 4 prime time channels one one tuner, for a total of 6. All other times, it will probably only record 3 shows at the same time. I wish it could record 6 channels anytime.

Bingo! So if you don't watch any shows on any NBC, CBS, ABC or FOX(which I don't) you basically get to record one more channel than a normal DVR box. Big whoop.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #42 of 48 Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

Really? Why? When was the last time there were six shows that you didn't want to miss on six different channels all at the exact same time? I can not recall a single time it's ever happened for me. If it has happened, you may want to consider that you watch way too much TV. And that's coming from someone who watches way too much TV.

Maybe not 6, but there are many times throughout the year that it seems like all the shows I like are on in the same two hour, block 8-10, on the same two nights.. So even with this hopper it would not get everything I need. And if you have a wife that watches a lot of crappy TV shows...it makes it even more difficult. So take that. smile.gif

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #43 of 48 Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

It's not just for MY shows. My wife wants to record her shows, my two sons want to record their shows, then my daughter likes to record her shows. Between the five of us, there are times when all of our shows are on at the same time or overlapped. We no longer watch LIVE TV, we watch recorded TV to skip past the commercials.
post #44 of 48 Old 06-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Could these be used in conjunction with MOCA adapters for streaming htpc content?
post #45 of 48 Old 06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes the Hopper has built in DLNA so it is possible to steam stuff over MoCA to the DLNA clients built in the Hopper and Joey boxes.

Scott
post #46 of 48 Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Well, after reading the website, this thread, and spending some time on the phone with Dish I am going to pass on the Hopper. I have 3 DVRs, 5 HDTVs, and while not connected per se in a whole house network I can capture six programs at once without the piggly wiggly Prime Time top 4 network thing. I haven't watched anything on the locals in over a year. When we do, it's like the election returns or the Olympics. Threading all 5 sets together with the Hopper/Joey network cuts me to 3 tuners and makes me pay $11 more a month. I give up whole house functionality.

As my DVRs wear out I'll give it another look, or when 4K programming starts appearing in meaningful quantity.

Very nice over all, would go that way if starting new, but the Hopper/Joey is not enough to displace my old iron. At least not yet.

So do I have it wrong?
post #47 of 48 Old 07-31-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 148
You just need two hoppers, with 3 joey's. that will give you 6 tuners and with whole house.
post #48 of 48 Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

You just need two hoppers, with 3 joey's. that will give you 6 tuners and with whole house.
you forgot bring him a bill's increase figure !
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles