post #1 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dish Network Hopper Whole-Home DVR Records 6 Shows at Once
By Lisa Montgomery
The Dish Network Hopper whole-home DVR stores up to 2 TBs of HD programming, recording up to six HD channels at once that can be played back from any room.

Dish Network CEO Joe Clayton said at CES 2012 that the company will unleash a whole new animal in the world of home entertainment, adding that "we are basically relaunching our company."

Dish is launching a new video distribution system. The "Hopper" HD DVR serves as the hub of the network, storing up to 2 terabytes (equal to 2,000 hours of entertainment) of HD content for distribution to as many three "Joeys" (the super-small receiver boxes), which are installed in other rooms of the house.

Clayton made the announcement after he strolled onto the stage with a live baby kangaroo in his arms. It's a DVR that hops from room to room, he said. Clever. The main Hopper and each Joey can play something different (recorded or live), and as many as six shows can be recorded simultaneously, thanks to the three satellite tuners that are built into the Hopper.

By the time the Hooper hits the market (by summertime), Dish will offer 73 channel of music, plus access to Pandora, making it a real contender as a simple, affordable whole-house music and video system. A nice touch is the improved interface that displays the album cover on the TV screen as you navigate your choices.

Another cool feature is PrimeTime Anytime. Instead of pecking your way through a guide to select individual programs to record, this one command records to a single tuner all primetime programming on ABC, CBS, CBS and Fox every night for a week and stores them for eight days after they have aired.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Nice..hope the price is right. I am waiting to upgrade my 2nd TV to HD quality.
post #3 of 48 Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
post #4 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 AM

Hmmm.. Looks promising. I have a major concern though.

I am plannning on moving all my equipment to a closet and control everything with a URC mx-980.

I see it says the remote doesn't require line of site. Does that mean it doesn't have IR at all? That might be a problem. I imagine the MX-980 will not be able to control this directly and if it doesn't have IR then nothing but it's own remote can. I really want to make use of the macro programming but if i have a device that can't be controlled then what?
post #5 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Too bad the 'Joeys' communicate with the 'Hopper' over coax. Wireless (or Ethernet) over my home network would have been great, but I understand they want to likely avoid the potential flakiness that wireless can bring. Now I have to figure out how to run coax to other rooms.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relder View Post

Too bad the 'Joeys' communicate with the 'Hopper' over coax. Wireless (or Ethernet) over my home network would have been great, but I understand they want to likely avoid the potential flakiness that wireless can bring. Now I have to figure out how to run coax to other rooms.

I plan to pull all Cat6 in the new house. Is there a balun or something to allow twisted pair to carry a coax signal? I guess I could pull a few coax in too but didn't really want the hassle other than into the media closet.
post #7 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 PM

Avaya makes a balun that allows you go from CAt-6 to coax/RG6. We use it at my workplace to distribute our DirecTv channels.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenhood View Post

Avaya makes a balun that allows you go from CAt-6 to coax/RG6. We use it at my workplace to distribute our DirecTv channels.

You have a part number or a link for that?
post #9 of 48 Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 AM

Very interesting how Dish worded it...

2 terabytes (equal to 2,000 hours of entertainment) of HD content

Making people believe that they would get 2,000 hours of HD content in a sneaky sort of way. They should have made it a bit clearer. 2 TB will actually give you about 2,000 hours of SD content and 200 hours of HD content.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Recording 6 channels at once is a catch. It is only a 3 tuner box, but records 4 prime time channels one one tuner, for a total of 6. All other times, it will probably only record 3 shows at the same time. I wish it could record 6 channels anytime.
post #11 of 48 Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
This looks like a great system, and is just what my home needs (3 HDTV's, 3 floors), but for the requirement of running new RG6 cable. I agree, ethernet distribution from the hopper to the joeys would have been great. I have just completed a home theater remodel and cleaned up all the old RG59 and replaced it with 4 Cat6 ethernet runs. For once my log cabin (not an easy home to run cable!) is finally clean of sloppy cabling, I'm not about to revert back.

For years I've been waiting for an effective whole-home solution from Dish. Somehow, my disappointment is not a surprise.

post #12 of 48 Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickL66 View Post

Recording 6 channels at once is a catch. It is only a 3 tuner box, but records 4 prime time channels one one tuner, for a total of 6. All other times, it will probably only record 3 shows at the same time. I wish it could record 6 channels anytime.

In order to record 6 channels at once you would need two hoppers. The PTA tuner is separate from the others in the Hopper, it does not take up one of the advertised 3 tuners.

post #13 of 48 Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I have been wanting Dish to have a whole house DVR for a long time now and it looks like it is finally coming. But if I am reading this right I would actually loose going from my current two DVR's to one Hooper. Right now I can record 4 shows at a time, but with the Hooper I could only do 2, make no sence with 3 tuners. I couldn't care less aobut their network recording thing, have no use for that.
post #14 of 48 Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgregor View Post

Very interesting how Dish worded it...

2 terabytes (equal to 2,000 hours of entertainment) of HD content

Making people believe that they would get 2,000 hours of HD content in a sneaky sort of way. They should have made it a bit clearer. 2 TB will actually give you about 2,000 hours of SD content and 200 hours of HD content.

It's not 2TB drive per se, but by particular h2k [Hopper 2000] partitioning; when it allow to end user to store HIS 250 hrs of HD.
Here:
Quote:
Massive 2 TB Hard Drive.

Record over 250 hours of HD programming...

post #15 of 48 Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

myth tv server with 4x 4 tuner cards connected to a sas raidn with irdetwo smart card modules..

to record 6 channels at once you would need dual 3/4 tuner card with either a raid card or sata controller ports per tuner... 6 drives not 1 2tb hdd you got physical limitation of the hdd...

something like this should only on a fiber optic type connection both co-ax and lan tech has hit its own limitation barrier with this as you're looking at 10gb backhaul link to handle the 6 hd streams alone per unit.. co-ax in this context doesn't have the bandwidth to handle 2 streams nevermind 6-7 streams at once unlless their passing on to the other units to pickup the slack..
post #16 of 48 Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

myth tv server with 4x 4 tuner cards connected to a sas raidn with irdetwo smart card modules..

to record 6 channels at once you would need dual 3/4 tuner card with either a raid card or sata controller ports per tuner... 6 drives not 1 2tb hdd you got physical limitation of the hdd...

something like this should only on a fiber optic type connection both co-ax and lan tech has hit its own limitation barrier with this as you're looking at 10gb backhaul link to handle the 6 hd streams alone per unit.. co-ax in this context doesn't have the bandwidth to handle 2 streams nevermind 6-7 streams at once unlless their passing on to the other units to pickup the slack..

Actually you must start from parameters of satellite stream/channels/services, to be familiar with; before build the ummm, above ...
The your exercise is good by itself, but proof nothing to how 3/4 tuner sat DVR are working - HR34 [DTV] and H2k [dish].
post #17 of 48 Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Did Dish Network adjust the amount of tuners in the Hopper after this article because from what I can tell, it only comes with 3 tuners, not 6.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/15/d...room-dvr-setu/

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/content/6...vr-system.html
post #18 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
It has always been 3 and not 6. Just the advertising is a little sketchy.

During prime time it will record the 4 local networks plus 2 other shows, so that is 6. But any other time you only have the 3 tunners to work with, and during prime time you only have 2, unless you disable the prime time recording deal.
post #19 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

It has always been 3 and not 6. Just the advertising is a little sketchy.

During prime time it will record the 4 local networks plus 2 other shows, so that is 6. But any other time you only have the 3 tunners to work with, and during prime time you only have 2, unless you disable the prime time recording deal.

Ah, ok, thanks. It looks like they're kind of changing their marketing stance now with it.
post #20 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

sounds like their targeting people that have 2 or more units and network said units together so you can record multi feeds at once..

though my previous discription was the analogy that would have to be deployed if you were to record 6 stations at once as each tuner would require its own hard drive to record content, failure to do this you would be at the physical limit on what you could stick at 1 time on 1 drive..

i was also speaking in context of broadcasting tv over the home network..
post #21 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no issue to record whole mux [transponder] by one tuner/DVR.
It's just 30-40 Mbps and carries up to 5-6 HD channels and up to 12-14 SD if no mix between these.
Local user's network saturation would happen if you will use 10 Mbps media. Sustain throughput of 100 Mbps network would be sufficient for 3 (full HD with 15 Mbps each) and up to 6-8 if you'll send SATELLITE HD streams (perhaps you are not aware, but these companies compress HD channels to 5 Mbps [average]).

Really, if you come as an expert, you must be prepared and had some knowledge about the subject: dish and DVRs.
post #22 of 48 Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

hmmm mix in satellite reception and see how it fairs when you push it past 1 or 2 stu's from what i've seen with my sat setup here 3 or 4 recording channels not possible on 1 hdd

realistically look at what the transmission is of your entire cable tv network within your home and then see what the broadcast mb ratio is 720p and 1080i/p..

sound like dish is tapping your net connection for vod services, you're not actually recording live transmission you're actually download the content in divx/xvid or similar style stream and watching it on the pvr later...
post #23 of 48 Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_sniper28 View Post

hmmm mix in satellite reception and see how it fairs when you push it past 1 or 2 stu's from what i've seen with my sat setup here 3 or 4 recording channels not possible on 1 hdd

realistically look at what the transmission is of your entire cable tv network within your home and then see what the broadcast mb ratio is 720p and 1080i/p..

sound like dish is tapping your net connection for vod services, you're not actually recording live transmission you're actually download the content in divx/xvid or similar style stream and watching it on the pvr later...

You are guessing and mixing to much, it's going to divert from the topic.
post #24 of 48 Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

no speaking from reality of what i've seen my local cable co do in regards to tuner options and so forth..
post #25 of 48 Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I mean, on satellite arena.
post #26 of 48 Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relder View Post

Good news for you: at least S2.12/S2.64 does support h2k-j communication over Ethernet. Tested and using.
Just need to use coax for DL S2.64 to each J before switching to Ethernet.
post #27 of 48 Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

A method of PTAT recording four major networks at once: it's done to dedicated folder "PTAT" as separate four files (one per channels) 5-6-7 GB with a companion of a file with segmenting: a description of each program start/end etc. When you select to store particular show, the show(s) will be copied to user partition.
post #28 of 48 Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post

Good news for you: at least S2.12/S2.64 does support h2k-j communication over Ethernet. Tested and using.
Just need to use coax for DL S2.64 to each J before switching to Ethernet.

Very nice. Now is that something special you are doing or can anyone get that setup? I'm really interested in running those over Ethernet.

Is it truely running over IP or is it just using the cable to carry it's own proprietary signal?
post #29 of 48 Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Does anyone else know about connecting these over ethernet? I would like to hear from as many people as possible.
post #30 of 48 Old 06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgoodman View Post

Does anyone else know about connecting these over ethernet? I would like to hear from as many people as possible.
If it working, then it's working. Just use the feature.

Why disturb ppl with well known answer?
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page